Value of: Jesse "Poolparty" Puljujarvi

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
He should've went back to Europe after his 9 games the first year... that being said, the guy is 20yo. If he played junior or liga he would've much better numbers and he would most probably be an HF poster boy. Now because he ''struggles'' in the nhl at 18-19, he's seen as a bust... There's no reason for EDM to trade him, unless they can get an equal defense player on ELC.

Toggel

Feb 26, 2015
According to Corsica, Puljujarvi (1.26 P/60) was #13 in 5v5 P/60 behind Auvitu (1.28) and tied with Slepyshev (1.26). I'd love to see where you are getting those numbers from. I think you have repeated this before with zero evidence.

McDavid: 3.2 P/60
Rattie: 2.49 P/60
Draisaitl: 2.3 P/60
RNH: 1.84 P/60
Maroon: 1.80 P/60
Cammalleri: 1.76 P/60
Aberg: 1.47 P/60
Strome: 1.41 P/60
Khaira: 1.39 P/60
Lucic: 1.37 P/60
Kassian: 1.30 P/60
Auvitu: 1.28 P/60
Puljujvarvi: 1.26 P/60
Slepyshev: 1.26 P/60
Caggiula: 1.17 P/60

Sorry I was looking at primary points per 60 as I believe that is the most important stat to look at. Using the same reference you used. I think P1/60 paints a much better picture of the true offensive talent on the roster unless you really thing Cammi is the same caliber offensive player as RNH.

McDavid: 2.3
Draisaitl: 1.93
RNH: 1.41
Maroon: 1.33
Puljujarvi: 1.19

this also shows that almost all of his points were primary points.

He was also 3rd in Rel CF% (Min 10 GP) with 2.07.

NHL Player Stats - Corsica Hockey

Toggel

Feb 26, 2015
This post has hockey fanatic all over it.

I mean it is based on stats from a reputable site and criticizing his usage by the coaching staff. Considering what 3/4 of that staff is no longer with the team is a good indication of the clubs faith in their opinions.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Sorry I was looking at primary points per 60 as I believe that is the most important stat to look at. Using the same reference you used. I think P1/60 paints a much better picture of the true offensive talent on the roster unless you really thing Cammi is the same caliber offensive player as RNH.

McDavid: 2.3
Draisaitl: 1.93
RNH: 1.41
Maroon: 1.33
Puljujarvi: 1.19

this also shows that almost all of his points were primary points.

He was also 3rd in Rel CF% (Min 10 GP) with 2.07.

NHL Player Stats - Corsica Hockey

That is a fine opinion to have, but you should add the context that Puljujarvi's 1.19 P1/60 doesn't even place him in the top-200 for forwards last year in the NHL. If Primary Points per 60 is your measure of true offensive talent then Puljujarvi (1.19 P1/60) hasn't shown much more than Anton Slepyshev (1.16 P1/60) or Ryan Strome (1.16 P1/60).

Toggel

Feb 26, 2015
That is a fine opinion to have, but you should add the context that Puljujarvi's 1.19 P1/60 doesn't even place him in the top-200 for forwards last year in the NHL. If Primary Points per 60 is your measure of true offensive talent then Puljujarvi (1.19 P1/60) hasn't shown much more than Anton Slepyshev (1.16 P1/60) or Ryan Strome (1.16 P1/60).

Fair but he is also in the range of players like Hoffman and Toffoli while playing with 3rd line teammates and dragging around the corpse of Milan "1 goal in 48 games" Lucic

I guess my point is I don't think we have seen his potential as he has not been given a fair and consistent go of things by the coaching staff while we have watched other less skilled players get pushed up the lineup (Lucic, Cagulia, Aberg) or players given prime PP time that probably shouldn't be there (Lucic, Strome, Cagulia, Cammy)

Last edited:
Reactions: TFHockey

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I am content to hold on to Pujujarvi and let him develop at his own pace. It's not as if we are stock at RW anyway in this organization.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Puljujarvi will never meet expectations.

He might end up being a 50 point guy at some point in his career but he doesn't have the IQ to reach his potential.
Draisaitl was called a bust and a bad pick by the Oilers by most of HF fans . I remember like it was yesterday . He can't skate , he will never be an NHL player , should have taken Bennett , he's a produces because of Hall , He only produces because of McDavid . Yeah I get Yakupov was a bad pick but from the rumors Katz overrode the scouts on that one . Puljujarvi will be a fine 2nd line player with a great 2 way game which none of the other wingers Edmonton had could say

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Fair point, Pool is all potential at this point though and it’s been a few years. His development has stalled big time.

Not really . It been one . if you remember his first season he could not train he suffer a knee injury . Then there was the language barrier . There a reason Edmonton just hired a English tutor for him . I like to see you go to china and do your job by following a new system if you don't have a clue what they are saying

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
To get an offensive RHD maybe

Otherwise keep him, kid shows semi long flashes of the player hes going to be...and that's gonna be a good one.
What RHD do you think you will get for him? Realistically you will not get a very good return right now. But I could be wrong...

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Draisaitl was called a bust and a bad pick by the Oilers by most of HF fans . I remember like it was yesterday . He can't skate , he will never be an NHL player , should have taken Bennett , he's a produces because of Hall , He only produces because of McDavid . Yeah I get Yakupov was a bad pick but from the rumors Katz overrode the scouts on that one . Puljujarvi will be a fine 2nd line player with a great 2 way game which none of the other wingers Edmonton had could say

Edmonton scouting ain't good... with all the high pick they had it's normal they did good. RNH, Hall & McDavid were very obvious... Yakupov too, but he suffered from bad developpement. They got very few decent prospect/players from all the early 2nd,3rd,4th and more they had. Other than Khaira and Slepyshev.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
What RHD do you think you will get for him? Realistically you will not get a very good return right now. But I could be wrong...
Hence the otherwise keep him and the post he was quoting which said why bother trading him

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Edmonton scouting ain't good... with all the high pick they had it's normal they did good. RNH, Hall & McDavid were very obvious... Yakupov too, but he suffered from bad developpement. They got very few decent prospect/players from all the early 2nd,3rd,4th and more they had. Other than Khaira and Slepyshev.

And Caleb Jones.

And Ethan Bear.

Yamamoto.

Benson.

You mean other than them. You sure a habs fan should be kicking dirt on any organizations ability to develop players?

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
And Caleb Jones.

And Ethan Bear.

Yamamoto.

Benson.

You mean other than them. You sure a habs fan should be kicking dirt on any organizations ability to develop players?

Were did I say the Habs are any better!?!?
Yamamoto was a first rounder. Bear looks good. Don't think the others are anything special tbh
From 2010 to 2014 (players who should normally be on the team now) the Oilers drafting and developpement have been one of the worst. They had 19 top 100 pick outside the 1st round and only manage to have Khaira and Slepyshev.... Tobias Reider and Brandon Davidson later in the draft.
In the same period of time the habs managed to draft DeLaRose, Lekhonen, Andrighetto with 12 top 100 pick outside the first round + Hudon and Gallagher in the later rounds.
So, if you ask me, yes the Oilers did worse IMO. But, we both suck and need change in the management teams !!

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

There was 27 teams that would have taken JP when he dropped to 4. His pick has nothing to do with good or bad scouting.

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
He's already a decent 3rd line option so unless someone offers a good "change of scenery" trade, keep him around. Worst case is he doesn't improve, plays on the 3rd line and gets paid like a 3rd liner. Best case is he continues to develop, earns a spot on McDavid's wing and the Oil keeps him until he gets too expensive. I think the former is more likely than the latter but there's really no incentive to trade him at this point in his development.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
There was 27 teams that would have taken JP when he dropped to 4. His pick has nothing to do with good or bad scouting.

I'm sure there were a number of teams shocked when he dropped. I know some deals fell apart when Columbus took PLD.

That all being said, Edmonton's ability to develop prospects properly has been a long standing issue.
In the last ten years, their banner non-first round pick, developed in Edmonton and who plays in Edmonton is Khaira. That says a lot.

I know in the thread guys like Ethan Bear and Caleb Jones were brought up as 'well looky here!' type prospects... Yikes. That's about all I can say. Those are dime a dozen around the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad