Jesse Joenessu-What is his style of play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pekka Lampinen

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki
Visit site
Joensuu is bipolar in shooting bias. He likes to carry the puck. I see him leaning towards playmaking in the future. His strength and skating are still far from optimal, but he's making good use of what he's got right now and I predict that he'll be able to work on them longer and better than most players. Although his work ethic is without question and he's comfortable in corners, he has little meanness to his physical game. He can do some difficult things with the puck and read the game quickly. Those two abilities are mostly still flashes, as they should be on a player of his age.

It's hard to pinpoint a single comparison. A hybrid between Marian Gaborik and Mikko Koivu, perhaps.

freakazoid

May 9, 2005
Canada
Pekka Lampinen said:
Joensuu is bipolar in shooting bias. He likes to carry the puck. I see him leaning towards playmaking in the future. His strength and skating are still far from optimal, but he's making good use of what he's got right now and I predict that he'll be able to work on them longer and better than most players. Although his work ethic is without question and he's comfortable in corners, he has little meanness to his physical game. He can do some difficult things with the puck and read the game quickly. Those two abilities are mostly still flashes, as they should be on a player of his age.

It's hard to pinpoint a single comparison. A hybrid between Marian Gaborik and Mikko Koivu, perhaps.
Isn't he a defenceman?

Upside

Jul 15, 2005
Pekka Lampinen said:

He is a below average skater as well

bossy22

Mar 14, 2004
Calgary
Plays like a bull in cornors and drives to net. Skating speed is nothing special. The games I saw him play last WJC, he has decent puck skills and hockey sense.

I like Frolik more and Kessel the most.

Korkki

Mar 6, 2002
Pori, Finland
His skating looks like "moose on ice" if saying badly, it does not look very good though it is averagely effective. He is quite good on corners and has huge skills when comparing him to other players of his size. Shot is still weak, but he has time to improve it. And he has a good natural fitness, he was among the top 12-minute distance runners of the whole Ässät senior squad. And he trains a lot himself alone.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
His upside is higher than anyone in the 2006 draft because of the incredible mix of skill & size but the chances for him to reach that potential are not as high as with some of the other guys like Kessel or Frolik. It takes lot of time for him to learn use his 6'4 body effectively.

Pekka Lampinen

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki
Visit site
Pepper said:
His upside is higher than anyone in the 2006 draft because of the incredible mix of skill & size but the chances for him to reach that potential are not as high as with some of the other guys like Kessel or Frolik. It takes lot of time for him to learn use his 6'4 body effectively.

I beg to differ. There can be a world of difference between very good and excellent skill, even if the inferior big guy has stickhandling as a strength. Kessel and Frolík are more talented than any Finnish forward since Saku Koivu. Think the 1993 draft, Kariya vs. Gratton/Arnott/Rob Niedermayer. Not as direct comparisons of the players, but the idea in general.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Yeah but if the comparison is Kariya vs. Tkachuk? Again not making direct player comparisons either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->