Prospect Info: Jesperi Kotkaniemi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
If any of this is true, it sure doesn't make a lot of sense...

Typically the guy who performs worse at the combine has essentially better value because it means they have room to improve. If Zadina is producing as well as he is while being in sub-optimal shape, that means in theory with a pro workout regime he'll be even better. Kotka, in comparison, has less room to grow.

If Zadina scored lower at the combine than Kotkaniemi, it will take him a certain amount of "room to grow" just to equal Kotkaniemi. Meanwhile, because Kotkaniemi scored higher doesn't mean he doesn't have room to grow. So basically while Zadina improves, so does Kotkaniemi. Only difference is Kotkaniemi is already ahead.

And if they're basing it on international competition, well, Kotkaniemi wasn't even at the U20s where Zadina out up 7 goals in 7 games, so saying Kotka had more impact in "big games" (whatever that means) doesn't really mean anything...

They didn't base their decision because of the combine. They also didn't base it all solely on international play. They obviously were impressed and sold on the kid already. Those things only served as evidence that he is the right guy for them to select.

As for not being at the WJC, I believe it's because either he was injured or had decided to rest and recuperate from his knee injury.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
If Zadina scored lower at the combine than Kotkaniemi, it will take him a certain amount of "room to grow" just to equal Kotkaniemi. Meanwhile, because Kotkaniemi scored higher doesn't mean he doesn't have room to grow. So basically while Zadina improves, so does Kotkaniemi. Only difference is Kotkaniemi is already ahead.

Back in the day, Schwarzenegger and Ferrigno were big competitors. I think it was in the documentary Pumping Iron where Arnold was throwing some shade and said something along the lines of him being so much further ahead of Lou. Lou would have to work super hard to catch up but during that time, Arnold would be working out so Lou would never catch up.

Basically, Kotkaniemi may not have reached his peak physical ability yet. Zadina probably likewise, but for all we know, he may had hit his ceiling. Same goes for Kotkaniemi of course, but I think both have room to grow.

Reactions: jaffy27

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
They didn't base their decision because of the combine. They also didn't base it all solely on international play. They obviously were impressed and sold on the kid already. Those things only served as evidence that he is the right guy for them to select.

As for not being at the WJC, I believe it's because either he was injured or had decided to rest and recuperate from his knee injury.

That's the first I've heard of this. So far as I know, he just wasn't selected. He was benched during the last game of the U20 4 nations, not invited to the WJC camp, and was playing in Liiga for the entirety of December.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
It was thought last weeks was his final but I believe he could play another one tomorrow(16th) was it?
yeah he has 3 preseason left 16, 24, september 1st.

first 2 games we're half games vs different teams in the same day... pretty odd. 1st: 1 pass, +1 , 50%face off, 9min30, 2nd half game: 0 points, -1, 70%face off, 9min07

third game (full) 2pts, +1, 40%face off, 20min28

so basicly in 2 full games 3pts ( all passes in his ), so he averaged 50% faceoffs, averaged 20min of play with a 1+

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

first 2 games we're half games vs different teams in the same day... pretty odd. 1st: 1 pass, +1 , 50%face off, 9min30, 2nd half game: 0 points, -1, 70%face off, 9min07

so basicly in 2 full games 3pts ( all passes in his ), so he averaged 50% faceoffs, averaged 20min of play with a 1+

That's not what I'm sure of.

Last game was already marketet as Kotka's last pre season game with Assat, but it looks like he could play another one.

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018

So after the preseason where is he heading? Confused with everyone mentioning that he will go Montreal?

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
So after the preseason where is he heading? Confused with everyone mentioning that he will go Montreal?
i don't know he might skip those last pre season to come over here, i don't think it's been announced or anything, but im guessing/hoping he comes to the camps and at least makes the rookie tournament and bolts back to finland right away, playing those 9 games in Montreal won't do much for him tbh... he could be stacking 18-20mins in the liiga vs mans... vs a limited role in Montreal. he should focus on liiga and than make the transition next year either NHL or AHL depending on his strenght. he's skating and balance should be alot better next year, he will not grow much anymore, people underestimate how constantly adjusting to different height when you're pretty tall and tall pretty quick can be hard. Most of the time the very good skaters pre draft are often the smaller ones ( of course theres alot of exeption) also love the fact that his liiga season finishes earlier than the NHL, since he's likely coming in NA year, it will give him a longer summer to work hard on his conditioning thats very good!

Last edited:
Reactions: GHJimmy

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018
i don't know he might skip those last pre season to come over here, i don't think it's been announced or anything, but im guessing/hoping he comes to the camps and at least makes the rookie tournament and bolts back to finland right away, playing those 9 games in Montreal won't do much for him tbh... he could be stacking 18-20mins in the liiga vs mans... vs a limited role in Montreal. he should focus on liiga and than make the transition next year either NHL or AHL depending on his strenght. he's skating and balance should be alot better next year, he will not grow much anymore, people underestimate how constantly adjusting to different high when you're pretty tall and tall pretty quick can be hard. Most of the time the very good skaters post draft are often the smaller ones ( of course theres alot of exeption) also love the fact that his liiga season finishes earlier than the NHL, since he's likely coming in NA year, it will give him a longer summer to work hard on his conditioning thats very good!
Totally understand now, yea after the camp it would be really good to go back to Liiga, or even just stay to play at Liiga, travelling is very hectic and tiring at some points

Reactions: HOPE

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

Assat has a game Thursday, which I assume he’ll play at. On Friday, he has a charity game with some former players like Koivu and Selanne.

Source: https://www.nhl.com/canadiens/news/jesperi-kotkaniemi---special-meetings-on-the-horizon/c-299748250

Earlier in the summer, Bergevin confirmed he’ll be at the Habs training camp and the rookie tournament. I will assume this means he leaves Finland after the last preseason game on September 1.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Assat has a game Thursday, which I assume he’ll play at. On Friday, he has a charity game with some former players like Koivu and Selanne.

Source: Kotkaniemi: Special meetings on the horizon

Earlier in the summer, Bergevin confirmed he’ll be at the Habs training camp and the rookie tournament. I will assume this means he leaves Finland after the last preseason game on September 1.

do you have the exact dates of the training camp? i know the rookie tournament is held from 7-9 september but the actual camp!

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
do you have the exact dates of the training camp? i know the rookie tournament is held from 7-9 september but the actual camp!

It’ll be posted here I guess when the dates are official: Montreal Canadiens Training Sessions - Complexe Sportif Bell

In the past, it’s usually around the end of 2nd to 3rd week of September.

2015: Sept 18
2016: Sept 22
2017: Sept 14

The rookie tournament ends Sept 9, which is Sunday. If following the trend of end of week, I would guess either Sept 13 or 14 this year.

Trilliann

Tier 2 fan
May 12, 2016
Below Replacement Level

Source: Kotkaniemi: Special meetings on the horizon

Ässät advertised their pre-season game last Friday as Kotka's last game in Pori (for now)

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
What is best for the kid?

Answer: Leave him in Liiga, let him start the preseason with his team.

What is best for Bergevin?

Bring him to training camp so he can showcase him to the clueless fans who were upset when we drafted him.
C689461E-9A88-49F1-8AB4-44D444C1925A.jpeg

Bergevin will do what he thinks is best for Bergevin.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009

Bring him to training camp so he can showcase him to the clueless fans who were upset when we drafted him.View attachment 134763

This is how I look apparently whenever I now hear MB has made a move.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Bring him to training camp so he can showcase him to the clueless fans who were upset when we drafted him.View attachment 134763

Ahhh, Ms. Whatkaniemi!

As for where he ends up playing, the other day, one of the TSN690 morning guys had said they spoke with someone from Habs managent and they told him that they will go the patient route with Kotkaniemi and after camp, the plan is to send him back to Finland for the year.

That has to be the best option because he will play center all year and will most probably be Assat's 1C, if not 2C. If that's the position Montreal wants to use him in, then he needs to play that position elsewhere before he gets to the NHL. And, although I won't be upset if he goes to Laval, we don't know if he'll be used as 1C there. He surely won't be used there in Montreal. But he will in Liiga. So it has to be Liiga this year. It's a top senior men's leagues in the world. It's not like he's going to play 1C in the British league.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014

Don't really want to be that guy, but when was the last time a 3rd OA pick did not go to his draft team training camp after the draft?

It's ok to hate on Bergevin, but this looks a bit too much.

Reactions: Le Tricolore

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
So far, the Drouin trade has been nothing but a disaster.

We still have to see what Drouin can do on the wing. Also, I don't like giving up on such a young player so early. Giving up on Galchenyuk after basically his 23 year old season was terrible. He has the abilities to blossom.

Drouin has shown a lot of skill. He also has shown a lack of awareness of how to use his skill to create scoring chances as opposed to stickhandling around aimlessly. Time will tell if the problem can be corrected.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

So there’s nothing good that’ll come out for the kid if he comes to Montreal??....nothing to learn here??

I imagine every single player drafted out of the 1st round will be showcased at their teams fall training camp.......is it safe to say that every gm is doing it for themselves and not the kid or are we the only team in the NHL that shouldn’t bring up their 1st round selection??

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
So there’s nothing good that’ll come out for the kid if he comes to Montreal??....nothing to learn here??

I imagine every single player drafted out of the 1st round will be showcased at their teams fall training camp.......is it safe to say that every gm is doing it for themselves and not the kid or are we the only team in the NHL that shouldn’t bring up their 1st round selection??
What does he have to learn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad