Prospect Info: Jesperi Kotkaniemi: The Eagle has landed (Made the team!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
And in honor of our favorite local Finn ...

2ivo8l.jpg

"Sisu" really doesn't come to mind when you think of an elegant player like Kotkaniemi whose hockey IQ is through the roof. "Sisu" is what players like Ville Nieminen and Leo Komarov have. Sisu enables players who aren't that skilled or talented to stay in the NHL for many seasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huokaus

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
If Kotkaniemi does indeed start the year in Montreal, would he be the youngest player to play for the Habs in the modern era? I would have to think that he's the youngest or one of the youngest. Sergachev, although very young as well, was a couple of weeks older than him.

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
firing their hugely popular (second ever female in Liiga) but in the end incompetent CEO with her fancy champagne bars

Champagne bars in Pori? Are you serious? In a town that's widely known as the redneck capital of Finland.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
"Sisu" really doesn't come to mind when you think of an elegant player like Kotkaniemi whose hockey IQ is through the roof. "Sisu" is what players like Ville Nieminen and Leo Komarov have. Sisu enables players who aren't that skilled or talented to stay in the NHL for many seasons.
His IQ is through the roof but he chooses to go into corners and to the net even though he's physically outmatched. That's "Sisu"...to me at least. Sisu just means not giving up.

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
His IQ is through the roof but he chooses to go into corners and to the net even though he's physically outmatched.

I have to admit I haven't seen him play that much but from what I've seen he's not anything like Saku Koivu in this sense. But I think he looks more graceful than young Saku did. Hopefully being about 4 inches taller and not quite as intense as Koivu was will help him stay away from the injury list.

Reactions: DAChampion

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
If Kotkaniemi does indeed start the year in Montreal, would he be the youngest player to play for the Habs in the modern era? I would have to think that he's the youngest or one of the youngest. Sergachev, although very young as well, was a couple of weeks older than him.
Chucky was 18 when he played his first game, so was Svoboda, but they both turned 19 the following February. So yeah, he could be the youngest.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
We might have a winner here.

Indeed! Looks like Tremblay was a couple of weeks younger than Kotkaniemi will be if he plays on October 3rd. Now, it just depends on what your definition of "Modern era" is as this was still 44 years ago.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Indeed! Looks like Tremblay was a couple of weeks younger than Kotkaniemi will be if he plays on October 3rd. Now, it just depends on what your definition of "Modern era" is as this was still 44 years ago.

By most popular measures, the modern era usually includes Maurice Richard and Gordie Howe, but at the very latest for me, it would be when the schedule went to 70 games.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Remember when he was a bust because of his play in the prospect tournament?

Now everyone is arguing to have him stay all year.

In all honesty, his play in prospect tournement wasn't encouraging.

But godamn the improvement is making everytime he's on the ice. IQ of the charts.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
In all honesty, his play in prospect tournement wasn't encouraging.

But godamn the improvement is making everytime he's on the ice. IQ of the charts.

It was 1 bad game and 1 average game.
For such a small sample size, there was way too much overreaction on this board

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

tenor.gif

Reactions: groovejuice

Jul 1, 2014
Canada
What a pick, what a kid, what a player. Since same time last season he is on a skyrocket progression.
They'll go with daily evaluation all year long with him like they did with Mete last year. That experience served Mete really well as we can see this season so far.

The decision has also a lot to do with Kotkaniemi environnement, he will be well surrounded with guys like Lehkonen, Armia, Niemi and others. If he struggles during the season he will get some time not too far in another great environnement with Bouchard and the Rocket.

His reach is really something and I also like a lot how he moves his feet, he can turn on a dime and position himself very quickly in about any situation. That's a major attribute in today's NHL game. It allows him to avoid contact and create new passing and shooting lane efficiently.

What a great first surprise for this very interesting new season to come.

Reactions: Fixxer and Redux91

LastRide

Feb 18, 2008
Kock has to go back to Finland for a year. Let him get a little bigger and stronger, and dominate over there. See how the season goes. If we are at the bottom of the barrel, than hopefully we are in the running for Jack Hughes.

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
He will start the year on one of the first two lines. He deserves it after all he has done. There is no excuse to send him back to Finland at this point.

People on here are just overly paranoid after what happened to previous young players in Montreal. It is different this time, however. Keke is not Galchenyuk, Latendresse, or the Kostitsyns. He is better than all of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad