Prospect Info: Jesperi Kotkaniemi: The Eagle has landed (Made the team!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
He had arguably shown he deserves the number 1 C role. He has been the best C in camp.

Beats having another converted winger like Domi in a no. 1 center capacity.

If Kotkaniemi continues to do well after the 9 games, who knows, maybe Domi takes on a no. 2 center role, which would make him less exposed.

Of course, team need should not dictate what happens to Kotkaniemi -- he has to keep earning it.

Reactions: sandviper

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Beats having another converted winger like Domi in a no. 1 center capacity.

If Kotkaniemi continues to do well after the 9 games, who knows, maybe Domi takes on a no. 2 center role, which would make him less exposed.

Of course, team need should not dictate what happens to Kotkaniemi -- he has to keep earning it.

Danault can fill in for #2 role for now. I'd rather we don't do like we did to Drouin and stunt any bounceback/development.

Reactions: 26Mats

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
JK is going to play all year in Montreal and play well. What a revelation

The biggest revelation is how so many of us were duped by his rookie tournament performance and almost everyone was saying how he was more than one year away.

And then, a few weeks later, with the spotlight on him, he shows incredible poise, high hockey IQ and a style of play where he doesn't look out of place at the NHL level.

Added to that, Domi's pre-season suspension, affords him an even bigger opportunity and not only does he take it, he runs with it.

I heard a pundit today say that as good as Kotkaniemi was against an AHL Trana team earlier this week, he fared even better against the Leafs's stacked NHL team. I mean, who does that?

And we're just only barely scraping the surface. Sky is the limit with this guy.

Reactions: Redux91

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Danault can fill in for #2 role for now. I'd rather we don't do like we did to Drouin and stunt any bounceback/development.

I think this is a totally different situation.

Drouin didn't take well to playing center. This is not what we're seeing with Kotkaniemi, he looks in his place and is not making any major mistakes. He's a bona fide centerman.

There is no stunt here if he's carried over beyond the 9 games (assuming he has continued earning it). He is showing right now that he is a true centerman, something Drouin battled through for a whole season with mostly mediocre results.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
JK is going to play all year in Montreal and play well. What a revelation

I wouldn't be the least surprised if that happened. The player is mature beyond his years.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I think this is a totally different situation.

Drouin didn't take well to playing center. This is not what we're seeing with Kotkaniemi, he looks in his place and is not making any major mistakes. He's a bona fide centerman.

There is no stunt here if he's carried over beyond the 9 games (assuming he has continued earning it). He is showing right now that he is a true centerman, something Drouin battled through for a whole season with mostly mediocre results.

I think you misread, I replied to this:

I'm saying there's no need to make Domi a center if Kotkaniemi continues to do well because we have Danault.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'm saying there's no need to make Domi a center if Kotkaniemi continues to do well because we have Danault.

Oh, I see. I apologize for misreading, however, I remain intrigued about Domi's role.

While Domi is not a no. 1 center, do you think he could surpass Danault if he were allowed to play no. 2C? I always envisioned Danault as a no. 3C.

However, if the year is a crapshoot and the team craters as is predicted, then I guess it doesn't really matter. It's a good time to try stuff.

Reactions: Redux91

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
hockey30-2018-09-27-%C3%A0-13.33.50.png

Kotkaniemi's stall immediately adjacent to Gallagher. Smart move.

#sisu

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Oh, I see. I apologize for misreading, however, I remain intrigued about Domi's role.

While Domi is not a no. 1 center, do you think he could surpass Danault if he were allowed to play no. 2C? I always envisioned Danault as a no. 3C.

However, if the year is a crapshoot and the team craters as is predicted, then I guess it doesn't really matter. It's a good time to try stuff.

I don't see Domi as a C better than Danault as a C personally. At the very least, I don't see it worth pushing Danault down.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
A number one center drives everything, the pace, the play, the chances, the goals, the defense. I feel like I've been abused by the Canadiens organisation for years after seeing this kid play. We might actually have a quarterback fellas.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don't see Domi as a C better than Danault as a C personally. At the very least, I don't see it worth pushing Danault down.

We haven't exactly seen what Domi can do at center, given his suspension.

Do you think he'll be tried there again when the season starts?

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Jko sounds exciting, but he is still a boy. The risk for injury is, in my mind to high to keep him in NA. Let him get stronger at home.

Why does he risk an injury more than any other player who graduated at 18?

I understand he might not be as skilled as all of them but it has nothing to do with injuries. Very skilled players spend their whole career on the LITR and very unskilled players can be iron men. It's not like Kot is small.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If Kok makes the team it's unlikely. The centers will be Kok, Danault, Plekanec and Peca.

So, Domi lost his opportunity at center on account of his suspension. Who knows, maybe he would not have lasted there anyway.

I don't like Danault in a 2C role however, there we'll see what next summer brings.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
So, Domi lost his opportunity at center on account of his suspension. Who knows, maybe he would not have lasted there anyway.

I don't like Danault in a 2C role however
, there we'll see what next summer brings.

I don't either but it's a problem for next years when Plekanec will return in Europe and Danault will replace him in the bottom 6. And the solution might very well be Poehling or Suzuki instead of Domi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad