Prospect Info: Jesperi Kotkaniemi: The Eagle has landed (Made the team!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I've seen you use "sisu" before but it wasn't until now that I finally looked it up to get to the bottom of it:

Sisu is a unique Finnish concept. ... Sisu is a special strength and persistent determination and resolve to continue and overcome in the moment of adversity…an almost magical quality, a combination of stamina, perseverance, courage, and determination held in reserve for hard times.

Sisu is a Finnish concept described as stoic determination, tenacity of purpose, grit, bravery, resilience, and hardiness and is held by Finns themselves to express their national character.

Sisu means that you finish what you start, you don’t quit in the middle of a job, and you don’t whine.

"It doesn’t take sisu to go to the North Pole; it takes sisu to stand at the door when the bear is on the other side."

Given what it means, can you really jinx it? Seems like an inherent character feature that the Fins inherently have and cherish.

If Habs management had any sense, they would have replaced their meaningless "attitude" buzzword by sisu.

No. That's what I'm tryna explain to these jabronis.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
After further reflection, how about everybody calls him whatever the hell they want?

This again?

Call him what you will, quite simply.

Can we stop with the meanless nickname discussions please and talk about his performance?

2ikqmq.jpg

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
There was a documentary on RDS at some point where they used that word "Sisu" for Saku Koivu.

And what a great documentary it was. The entire Koivu Sisu documentary is still on the RDS website divided into 4 parts if anyone wants to watch it. It's well worth watching.

Part 1:
https://www.rds.ca/videos/hockey/lnh/canadiens/sisu-le-courage-d-un-capitaine-1re-partie-3.1108592

Part 2:
https://www.rds.ca/videos/hockey/lnh/canadiens/sisu-le-courage-d-un-capitaine-2e-partie-3.1108594

Part 3:
https://www.rds.ca/videos/hockey/lnh/canadiens/sisu-le-courage-d-un-capitaine-3e-partie-3.1108596

Part 4:
https://www.rds.ca/videos/hockey/lnh/canadiens/sisu-le-courage-d-un-capitaine-4e-partie-3.1108603

Last edited:

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
The only problem and a huge one of keeping him in the NHL is that he will be our best player and targeted. See Price... a goaltender no less. He’s too young for that and mark my words, will be injured by December if so.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
After further reflection, how about everybody calls him whatever the hell they want? Pacioretty never really had a nickname...Some people called him Patches, some called him MaxPac, some called Paccio...who cares. Its not like we won't know who we're talking about.

He actually wanted to be called PacMan, but people didnt go there.

Qurpiz

Carry me home!
Nov 5, 2006
One aspect about Jepus final disposition for the season IMO is how soul crushingly bad Ässät are, and seem to be for the season. They are dead last in Liiga at the moment after 5 games, 8 goals scored, 16 allowed.

A few books could be written about how the team ended up in this situation, the new arena costs, firing their hugely popular (second ever female in Liiga) but in the end incompetent CEO with her fancy champagne bars, relying on money reveived for players signing NHL contracts, declining crowds, beer kegs foaming worth 50,000€, slashing the player budget with a chainsaw (not even kidding, the 1C ATM (Severi Sillanpää) played in Suomisarja, the 3rd level, at the start of the season), and blackmailing junior players parents to forfeit their free time and sell beer in the arena during games, all in all, it's not exactly a rosy situation to send Jesperi in. Even if his dad is the coach.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The only problem and a huge one of keeping him in the NHL is that he will be our best player and targeted. See Price... a goaltender no less. He’s too young for that and mark my words, will be injured by December if so.

There were similar arguments made this afternoon on 690 in respect of the targeting part and the physical toil from some players.

However, as McGuire pointed out, engaging physical play and looking for confrontation is not Kotkaniemi's style. And he does see plays develop before they happen which probably makes him highly elusive.

Because of his high hockey IQ and having played with men last year, I'm inclined to believe that playing in the NHL is not a concern. What is more daunting is the grind of an 82 game schedule for someone who is used to playing less games -- however, that can be managed.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012

Who is the guy in the middle? If anyone knows him? Please ask him to button his shirt one more button and to stop reflecting his responses to never never land. “Super Star”? Who the f*** knows or cares at this point! What we do know is this. We FINALLY have an 18 center that the whole f***ing LEAGUE is excited about! I have a bad feeling we are going to f*** this up BIG TIME!

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
There were similar arguments made this afternoon on 690 in respect of the targeting part and the physical toil from some players.

However, as McGuire pointed out, engaging physical play and looking for confrontation is not Kotkaniemi's style. And he does see plays develop before they happen which probably makes him highly elusive.

Because of his high hockey IQ and having played with men last year, I'm inclined to believe that playing in the NHL is not a concern. What is more daunting is the grind of an 82 game schedule for someone who is used to playing less games -- however, that can be managed.
Have it your way.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Not at all. There is no right and wrong in this, no one knows the future. We're only giving opinions.
It is called risk management. You put an 18 year old, who is arguably the best player on a shit team? He will get thrashed... repeatedly.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Jko sounds exciting, but he is still a boy. The risk for injury is, in my mind to high to keep him in NA. Let him get stronger at home.

Reactions: cphabs

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Who is the guy in the middle? If anyone knows him? Please ask him to button his shirt one more button and to stop reflecting his responses to never never land. “Super Star”? Who the **** knows or cares at this point! What we do know is this. We FINALLY have an 18 center that the whole ****ing LEAGUE is excited about! I have a bad feeling we are going to **** this up BIG TIME!
I think you are referring to Kypreos,forgive him, his head is soft.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It is called risk management. You put an 18 year old, who is arguably the best player on a **** team? He will get thrashed... repeatedly.

It's also called the worst management contingent in the NHL.

Found this scan of Bergevin's brain, on the internets ...

6rAp.gif

:sarcasm:

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
I think you are referring to Kypreos,forgive him, his head is soft.
Not sure what is going on on that broadcast, but the guy on the right was great. Keep coconut in Finland. Seriously guys/gals! He is 18 extremely skilled6’2 center who is growing into his body. Let him physically develop before. We finally have it! This is not the team to develop him in while in the NHL! Let it happen. Laval is going to be insane next year!

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
One aspect about Jepus final disposition for the season IMO is how soul crushingly bad Ässät are, and seem to be for the season. They are dead last in Liiga at the moment after 5 games, 8 goals scored, 16 allowed.

A few books could be written about how the team ended up in this situation, the new arena costs, firing their hugely popular (second ever female in Liiga) but in the end incompetent CEO with her fancy champagne bars, relying on money reveived for players signing NHL contracts, declining crowds, beer kegs foaming worth 50,000€, slashing the player budget with a chainsaw (not even kidding, the 1C ATM (Severi Sillanpää) played in Suomisarja, the 3rd level, at the start of the season), and blackmailing junior players parents to forfeit their free time and sell beer in the arena during games, all in all, it's not exactly a rosy situation to send Jesperi in. Even if his dad is the coach.

If that's true... And he continue to play well, we can't send him back.

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
How good will he be when he will add streght and when he will be more explosif ?

Dominant? If he can already overcome his physical shortcomings with his smarts imagine what it will be like when his body catches up..

Habsddicted

Derp derp
Jan 18, 2018
The kid is a stud, he seems to be putting up just fine with the pre season schedule and the physical play. I think it's better if he goes back in Finland but I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed and dominated with a a 50-60 points season.

His vision is great, his body language bluffs people on the ice and he seems to be smiling all the time just like Gallagher. I'm excited for the future!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad