Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi (Part X)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
You said a lot of things though. You said you were low on bim based on his WJC. You said you wanted Zadina. Somehow, picking Zadina made even more sense with the Galchenyuk and the impending Pacioretty trade. Now, Zadina still looked like crap in preseason and is going down. And somehow, I dont expect KK to play in the AHL next year.

My opinion is that it might be wise to wait until the season actually starts and he plays a few meaningful games. What do you think ?
Maybe I was wrong about Zadina, but all I care about is the Habs. And right now, Tkachuk looks like he should have been the pick.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Maybe I was wrong about Zadina, but all I care about is the Habs. And right now, Tkachuk looks like he should have been the pick.

Given we have Domi, Suzuki, Poehling, and Danault at center, and need bigger wingers, Tkachuk is probably the better fit for need. Although if none of them are #1 centers and Kk becomes a #1 center, Kk fills the bigger need.

Regardless, our situation shows you always take the top talent, regardless of position.

Having said all that, we were in sucha bad situation at center and for so long, if KK pans out I won't really complain. Unless Tkachuk is Ovechkin good. Even other power forwards like Shanahan weren't as impactful as centers.

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

Here's a question for you: if you made a poll for the draft thread in june 2018 asking who would a better NHLer 1 year post draft, who do you think people would have chosen between KK and Tkachuk ?

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Who interestingly didn't look anywhere near NHL ready in his D+1 or D+2 years.
I hope he turns into the player you guys think. But I just don’t see anywhere near the speed and agility of a Pettersson or the strength and tenacity of a Barkov. I see a tall, smart player with good skill, but right now he’s too slow and weak to be a force offensively.

Reactions: No ReGretzkys

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I hope he turns into the player you guys think. But I just don’t see anywhere near the speed and agility of a Pettersson or the strength and tenacity of a Barkov. I see a tall, smart player with good skill, but right now he’s too slow and weak to be a force offensively.
Don't think you will find anyone disputing the fact that he isn't as fast as Pettersson or strong as Barkov. That being said, you have to be patient with Kotkaniemi. Scheifele was called a bust and kept falling on his ass early on too, he turned out pretty great.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
What is with all the KK hate? He had a very good rookie season last year as the youngest player in the NHL. Is this based on his preseason play? Are you guys f’n serious?

Said this before, never was high on KK as some others here, but the hate he gets here is mind boggling.
To make matters worst, CJ is not doing him any favors, and with no PP time, KK will probably play 10 minutes a game, and then the fan base will turn on him even more.

KK should have not started in the NHL last season, especially under Julien.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
KK is still way too young, there should be zero expectations for this guy.

I agree. Hell we have low-ish/cautious expectations for 20 year old Nick Suzuki, we should still be tolerant towards our teenager.

In my mind he's bust-exempt until he's 21. A man's bone structure is still settling into that big pile of flesh. :popcorn:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
KK is still way too young, there should be zero expectations for this guy.
His role on the team since last year's trade deadline has diminished...we haven't played a game yet, but he's not on either of the PP units and he's playing with Drouin, who CJ has also marginalized since the trade deadline last year (whether warranted or not).

So I don't expect this line to have a big impact...

They're more likely a 4th line then anything else.

Given this...expectations as you said, should be low.

But we know it'll be the opposite.

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
His role on the team last year's trade deadline has diminished...we haven't played a game yet, but he's not on either of the PP units and he's playing with Drouin, who CJ has also marginalized since the trade deadline last year (whether warranted or not).

So I don't expect this line to have a big impact...

They're more likely a 4th line then anything else.

Given this...expectations as you said, should be low.

But we know it'll be the opposite.

Pretty much this. Some are calling him a bust and the season is only getting started tonight.

Reactions: 417

Prettyisland

Oct 23, 2017
A 19 year old center drafted based off skill isn’t ready to put up a 25g 50as season..

upload_2019-10-3_9-37-13.jpeg

You guys need to take a chill pill this kid has nhl level iq. he’s going to have growing pains let him sort it out with challenges in the big show

Reactions: dralaf

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
You are really fast to disregard Kotkaniemi.

He has shown his talent and he is still very young.

I still believe KK was the right selection.

Jul 6, 2016
VGK were patient with Glass.

The Jets were patient with Sheifele.

OTOH, MB looked at the center depth of Domi, Danault, Pleks and JDLR and decided his team needed help.[/QUOTE

Habs traded Galchy for Domi few weeks after having drafted KK. And Domi was not even supposed to play center. So they drafted for their needs. And even then, they did not know at all that KK would be able to play at NHL level last Fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad