Injury Report: Jesperi Kotkaniemi (Part IX)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Well, Kotka played virtually the whole year with Armia and Lehkonen. Not exactly scoring machines those 2.

Then got a badly slumping Drouin on his wing, because what a rookie kid really needs is a prima donna on his line that can't produce. Fantastic recipe for success.
Obviously. Im just disputing the fact that Galchenyuk had a bad first year. This board was tripping over itself just as much as it is now.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Well, Kotka played virtually the whole year with Armia and Lehkonen. Not exactly scoring machines those 2.

Then got a badly slumping Drouin on his wing, because what a rookie kid really needs is a prima donna on his line that can't produce. Fantastic recipe for success.
No winger is good enough for the Golden Boy.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Okay? An injury that wouldn’t keep him out of a lineup every night but needed to be managed. They maybe asked him if he wanted to go.
so what ?,m the kid is injured, there is no reason whatsoever to play him when the season is over.

that's stupid at best.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
so what ?,m the kid is injured, there is no reason whatsoever to play him when the season is over.

that's stupid at best.

Even dumber is the belief that KK never once said anything about a leg injury until late April then all of a sudden needs a minor surgery.

They obviously knew about it and managed it. It’s nothing that worried them too much but didn’t want to put excessive strain.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Even dumber is the belief that KK never once said anything about a leg injury until late April then all of a sudden needs a minor surgery.

They obviously knew about it and managed it. It’s nothing that worried them too much but didn’t want to put excessive strain.

If it’s an injury that needed managing, I would prefer they shut him down, get the surgery done and let him start preparing for next season.

No half measures. But in my opinion, the entire plan for KK was always done on an ad-hoc basis.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Strange timing... Beside meniscus repair or ligament replacement is there a other reason to have orthoscopique surgery on a knee? ACL is like 6 months rehab so clearly that isn’t it and meniscus is like 2 weeks the could have done it earlier in the season or instead of saying he was tired they could have let him have surgery...

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

So it's likely then that the knee injury wasn't the reason behind him being a healthy scratch as he said he had the injury all year.

Jesperi Kotkaniemi polvioperaatiossa loistavan NHL-kauden päätteeksi

The mid-attacker was afflicted by a small chronic knee injury throughout the season,

Right after the season ended Team Finland offered him a spot on the team and he said he was thinking of going or something to that effect I believe. So it appears safe to assume that this was very mild or else he would have said right there that he can't go. I am guessing this was just some clean up on his knee from his previous injury, of course there aren't many details so we can only speculate.

I just don't like Julien and while of course they have more info then us as that goes without saying it's not like they don't make mistakes. This is the same coach that played Dwight King for 23 games (6 of which were in the playoffs) despite looking like total shit. He overplayed Logan "waivers" Shaw last year, put Galchenyuk on the 4th line later with DLR, Scherbak with Shaw, didn't play Carr despite needing goals last year and Carr was producing on the 4th line. So I think you can see why some just don't trust the old dinosaur. There's a great quote from Bouchard in the Laval thread about coaching today with young players and said that coaches need to evolve.

it's the very last line.

Last edited:

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
So it's likely then that the knee injury wasn't the reason behind him being a healthy scratch as he said he had the injury all year.

Jesperi Kotkaniemi polvioperaatiossa loistavan NHL-kauden päätteeksi

Right after the season ended Team Finland offered him a spot on the team and he said he was thinking of going or something to that effect I believe. So it appears safe to assume that this was very mild or else he would have said right there that he can't go. I am guessing this was just some clean up on his knee from his previous injury, of course there aren't many details so we can only speculate.

I just don't like Julien and while of course they have more info then us as that goes without saying it's not like they don't make mistakes. This is the same coach that played Dwight King for 23 games (6 of which were in the playoffs) despite looking like total ****. He overplayed Logan "waivers" Shaw last year, put Galchenyuk on the 4th line later with DLR, Scherbak with Shaw, didn't play Carr despite needing goals last year and Carr was producing on the 4th line. So I think you can see why some just don't trust the old dinosaur. There's a great quote from Bouchard in the Laval thread about coaching today with young players and said that coaches need to evolve.

it's the very last line.

I think that line supports Julien's use of KK more than your point of view on him.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
100% I'd argue he had as good a year if not better than Kotkaniemi at least as far as our hope and dreams

Agreed. In terms of hype and potential, it's similar hope for sure. The major difference is Kotkaniemi is clearly a proven center and plays a smart game. Galchenyuk was just a offensive skilled forward and was very risky to play him a center cause the 200' game is not something he valued in his development.

Coming in late here and I'm sure some have talked about Kotkaniemi's knee surgery? Wonder how this affected his game in the last 1/3 of the season where he appeared to stall. Remember the all star break and our week break and how Kotkaniemi took a step forward for a week or so afterwards? Something must of happened shortly after that

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Agreed. In terms of hype and potential, it's similar hope for sure. The major difference is Kotkaniemi is clearly a proven center and plays a smart game. Galchenyuk was just a offensive skilled forward and was very risky to play him a center cause the 200' game is not something he valued in his development.

Coming in late here and I'm sure some have talked about Kotkaniemi's knee surgery? Wonder how this affected his game in the last 1/3 of the season where he appeared to stall. Remember the all star break and our week break and how Kotkaniemi took a step forward for a week or so afterwards? Something must of happened shortly after that

Yup absolutely - apparently he had the injury long term and it didn't stop him from playing. Bergy said that. We have to assume if he slowed down though it was at least a significant factor.

I think we were hyped for Galchenyuk because of his offensive potential - KK just seems like a very good all around player.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yup absolutely - apparently he had the injury long term and it didn't stop him from playing. Bergy said that. We have to assume if he slowed down though it was at least a significant factor.

I think we were hyped for Galchenyuk because of his offensive potential - KK just seems like a very good all around player.

Agreed. Same hype but in different areas in value.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Strange timing... Beside meniscus repair or ligament replacement is there a other reason to have orthoscopique surgery on a knee? ACL is like 6 months rehab so clearly that isn’t it and meniscus is like 2 weeks the could have done it earlier in the season or instead of saying he was tired they could have let him have surgery...

He tore his ACL 2 years ago
This surgery is to clean it up a little more
standard procedure

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Sucks because ideally he'd be in the gym hitting the weights for the past few weeks already...

18 year olds growing into their 19 and 20 yr old bodies dont necesarily need "weights"... sometimes they just need to..turn 19 and 20.

I always go back to this "galchenyuk" being a total "gym rat" and everytime you see him hes ripped and everything...and it lead to absolutely nothing, he still couldnt skate well enough for the next level
and all those beach body muscles didnt make him more physical at all.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Be rested. Be recovered. Be healthy. To be at that phase of working out soon. Not enough of training tho. Enough of playing games for the playing's sakes.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
If it’s an injury that needed managing, I would prefer they shut him down, get the surgery done and let him start preparing for next season.

No half measures. But in my opinion, the entire plan for KK was always done on an ad-hoc basis.

I disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad