Injury Report: Jesperi Kotkaniemi (Part IX)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
No it wasn't the best. And he probably won't take the next step until this team chooses to develop him, which is never.
ob_49037d_imagoid.jpg

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Kotkaniemi’s rookie year >> Galchenyuk’s rookie year
i agree with you . Offensive numbers of Galch were maybe better , but overall , Kotkaniemi is far better . Better vision , IQ , defensive play , anticipation , where to be on the ice . When you look at all the chances missed by Lehkonen ....

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
i agree with you . Offensive numbers of Galch were maybe better , but overall , Kotkaniemi is far better . Better vision , IQ , defensive play , anticipation , where to be on the ice . When you look at all the chances missed by Lehkonen ....
And then you remember Galchenyuk played the whole year with Brandon Prust..

Reactions: Toene

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009

Brandon Prust put 14 pts in 38 games for .37 pts per season while Armia got 23 pts in 57 games so .40 for this season while the offence was WAY UP.

Is KK really getting an advantage here? who were their 2nd plyer they were playing with? Lehkonen for KK and who for Chucky?

HabsMD97

Jun 30, 2014
king's landing
Yeah chucky had the better linemates overall, although he didn't really get much PP time, and lower minutes in general. I think both rookie seasons are fairly equal.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Kotka is a much smarter player than Chucky in their rookie year. Not similar at all imo

Reactions: cphabs

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I don't want to derail this thread with Galchenyuk talk, but as a thought exercise assume you wanted to ruin Galchenyuk's development and come up with a plan for doing exactly that. Then compare your plan to how we actually handled him.

I clearly wouldn't have put him with Pacioretty as first line center to start the season until he got injured if that was the intent.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
It’s almost as if the coach has more information at hand when making him a “healthy” scratch and the armchair coaches need to settle down.

So do you think he was a healthy scratch during a playoff run but played in a meaningless game at the end of the season even though the coaching staff knew he had a minor knee injury?

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
yes , but guess what ... the ultime weapon Lars Eller was their center . A guy able to score 4 goals / night , or score a Stanley Cup wining goal !

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Brandon Prust put 14 pts in 38 games for .37 pts per season while Armia got 23 pts in 57 games so .40 for this season while the offence was WAY UP.

Is KK really getting an advantage here? who were their 2nd plyer they were playing with? Lehkonen for KK and who for Chucky?
Lars Eller

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com

Chucky played with a wide range of players. Prust, Eller, Cole, Ryder, Gally. After Eller got out of MT's doghouse, he was pretty much Chucky's main partner for the season. While i liked Chucky's season better, he was certainly better surrounded than KK.

It's hard to compare their rookie year. that being, it'll be interesting to see how KK's next 2 years stacks up to Chucky's 2nd and 3rd years. Chucky pretty much spent the following 2 years playing with Plekanec and Eller with both essentially playing the toughest match-ups (which actually goes against the narrative that Chucky was always sheltered).

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
So do you think he was a healthy scratch during a playoff run but played in a meaningless game at the end of the season even though the coaching staff knew he had a minor knee injury?

He was a healthy scratch on the road where he wasn’t effective all season and where his icetime can’t be managed as well. He clearly wasn’t himself the last 20 games and I’m sure they knew he was sore so they sat him. It’s a combination of a bunch of things.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
I mean i guess it had to be done so he could be better in the future and injury free. But damnmit he needed that full offseason to get stronger and do massive powerskating. Hopefully he can start training pretty fast!

Reactions: Fixxer

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
He was a healthy scratch on the road where he wasn’t effective all season and where his icetime can’t be managed as well. He clearly wasn’t himself the last 20 games and I’m sure they knew he was sore so they sat him. It’s a combination of a bunch of things.
played a meaningless last game...

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Okay? An injury that wouldn’t keep him out of a lineup every night but needed to be managed. They maybe asked him if he wanted to go.

He didn't score on the road and he was clearly much more productive at home but he still put up a .29 ppg on the road which over 82 games is 24 pts. His production did take a hit towards the end, in the last 20 games he had only 7 pts but in 3 of those games were the only ones all season that he played under 10 minutes. So drop in ice time won't help production.

To me it doesn't make sense as clearly they weren't going for the playoffs or they would have upgraded the roster more then paying a few pennies for guys like Weal, Weise, Thompson, Folin. So if you aren't trying to make the playoffs, why not make sure you give the proper ice time to a kid that very well could be a huge part of your future. If he was injured, then they had no business playing him in a meaningless game no matter if he said he's good to go as it's not likely that a rookie is going to say no thanks I'll sit this one out. If the injury was so minor that playing on it didn't matter then that makes more sense as you just don't risk it with your 3rd OA pick when he had a major knee injury a year or so ago.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

Well, Kotka played virtually the whole year with Armia and Lehkonen. Not exactly scoring machines those 2.

Then got a badly slumping Drouin on his wing, because what a rookie kid really needs is a prima donna on his line that can't produce. Fantastic recipe for success.

Reactions: cphabs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad