Injury Report: Jesperi Kotkaniemi (Part IX)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Don't bother. It's the Galchenyuk-effect again with Kotkaniemi, which is a scientifically proven case of mass hallucination. It can last as long as five years and it's not treatable. Any discussion is futile.
Funny you should bring up Chucky. Galchenyuk had a superior first year when compared to KK. Alex was more dynamic, drove the play much more than KK and we all thought we had a stud. Look what happened. We need to temper our expectations and let these young players grow and work on their weaknesses and trust me KK has lots of weaknesses. I wasn't happy he stayed up with the big team. He needed to work on his game at a lower level so I go ballistic when I hear posters want him playing with our best wingers.

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
Funny you should bring up Chucky. Galchenyuk had a superior first year when compared to KK. Alex was more dynamic, drove the play much more than KK and we all thought we had a stud. Look what happened. We need to temper our expectations and let these young players grow and work on their weaknesses and trust me KK has lots of weaknesses. I wasn't happy he stayed up with the big team. He needed to work on his game at a lower level so I go ballistic when I hear posters want him playing with our best wingers.
Galchenyuk also did it mainly playing with Jeff Halpern and Brandon Prust.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I don't think he was much better, if at all to be honest, but my memory and later bias may affect my judgment. Wasn't it a shortened season? That's a pretty significant advantage. Also, didn't he play wing? Anyways, I have a much higher opinion on Kotkaniemi due to hockey sense alone. I think he's going to be a very good player. He's just incredibly raw physically at the moment which affects every aspect of his game. He has pretty impressive defensive understanding of the game for an 18 year old, but can't win puck battles. He's a natural cycle player, but can't hold onto the puck if his life depended on it. It will straighten up in time.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I don't think he was much better, if at all to be honest, but my memory and later bias may affect my judgment. Wasn't it a shortened season? That's a pretty significant advantage. Also, didn't he play wing? Anyways, I have a much higher opinion on Kotkaniemi due to hockey sense alone. I think he's going to be a very good player. He's just incredibly raw physically at the moment which affects every aspect of his game. He has pretty impressive defensive understanding of the game for an 18 year old, but can't win puck battles. He's a natural cycle player, but can't hold onto the puck if his life depended on it. It will straighten up in time.

Galchenyuk had a much better rookie year. However there are some caveats, we are comparing a 48 game season to an 82 game one, Galchenyuk was older, and Galchenyuk benefitted from playing the first half of the season in the OHL.

We made a lot of mistakes with Galchenyuk's development, we have to avoid making them again because our only hope of contending any time soon is if Kotkaniemi develops well.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
We didn't, really. We got the best of the limited talent this kid had. If anything, he was coddled for way to long.

I don't want to derail this thread with Galchenyuk talk, but as a thought exercise assume you wanted to ruin Galchenyuk's development and come up with a plan for doing exactly that. Then compare your plan to how we actually handled him.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

This is almost good news - if it's nothing that hampers him down the road - because it explains his drop in play. He really fell off a clip and I didn't think it was possible it was only due to him being a rookie.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
anybody knows what is that knee surgery exacly? seems odd a knee surgery that won't take anytime off season time from him!

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
anybody knows what is that knee surgery exacly? seems odd a knee surgery that won't take anytime off season time from him!
Could be something simple like cleaning it up a bit I had some cartilage trimmed up about 10 years ago and I was good after a couple weeks

Reactions: cphabs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->