Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He's 18yrs old and you're already claiming that he's responsible for the entire organization's future.

I think you're getting ahead of yourself and the odds that Kotkaniemi himself, all alone, is going to carry this organization, are extremely low.

He's not Sidney Crosby, even he needed Malkin, Letang.

He's not Connor McDavid...he's the best player in the game and that's not enough for Edmonton.

We love to make heroes and then turn them into zeroes when they don't meet our unrealistic expectations.

Why do you have to go full tilt ? Can't he just be Kotkaniemi ? A 1C that people look at and are kind of jealous ? Can't the Habs develop ONE single superstar center ? He was not drafted to be a 2C, he was drafted because his talent toolbox is bursting, its spilling over. He can do ANYTHING on the ice, he can shoot with the best of them (Probably the 6th best shot in his draft.), he can dangle with the best of them (Probably the 5th best hands in his draft), he can pass with the best of them (3rd best playmaker in the draft to me.) and he can play defense/gritty hockey.

This kid is an investment, he's legit, he's everything we, as fans, have ever wanted.

He's Galchenyuk at 18, our second chance, the Habs 2nd chance to redeem themselves, and... theyre doing the same freaking thing. "Break him in slowly", "let him earn his place", "show him the ropes", "not now, maybe later". f*** that, this kid is either playing first line and first PP with our best wingers and sticking there through hard times or he goes back in Finland or in the AHL and plays 20 minutes a game.

It's not even a win-later move anymore, what does Danault have over him ? This is crazy how people can't see what is happening. We've literally went through this about 6 years ago. Galchenyuk and Desharnais, Kotkaniemi and Danault, the same f***ing thing, it's crazy.

I might have agreed with you in prior years. I like the way they're handling him right now. Ducharme is probably involved. I don't know what else they're supposed to do about his future. His future is now and they've determined that he's NHL-ready. He's not the first top 3 overall draft pick to be deemed NHL-ready. I usually don't trust management but I have to give them the benefit of the doubt on this one. It's not a Therrien/Galchenyuk dynamic. Enjoy.

Read my rant above. Galchenyuk was treated the same in his first season. "We love his enthusiasm" kinda positive comments.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Man its crazy how points = everything here.

Unless your putting up points, you're not developing.

Sens are a mirage, even more than the Habs at this point.

I'm not excluding Lajoie from this phenomenon either (good player but come on man).

I'm going to stop talking Mete in this thread..

But if points are how you're going to define Victor Mete...then I'm afraid you're never going to be a fan of this player.
Points ARE every thing. At some point, if you're going to have a good team, your best players need to produce, and thats what these kids CAN and SHOULD do.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Why do you have to go full tilt ? Can't he just be Kotkaniemi ? A 1C that people look at and are kind of jealous ? Can't the Habs develop ONE single superstar center ? He was not drafted to be a 2C, he was drafted because his talent toolbox is bursting, its spilling over. He can do ANYTHING on the ice, he can shoot with the best of them (Probably the 6th best shot in his draft.), he can dangle with the best of them (Probably the 5th best hands in his draft), he can pass with the best of them (3rd best playmaker in the draft to me.) and he can play defense/gritty hockey.

This kid is an investment, he's legit, he's everything we, as fans, have ever wanted.

He's Galchenyuk at 18, our second chance, the Habs 2nd chance to redeem themselves, and... theyre doing the same freaking thing. "Break him in slowly", "let him earn his place", "show him the ropes", "not now, maybe later". **** that, this kid is either playing first line and first PP with our best wingers and sticking there through hard times or he goes back in Finland or in the AHL and plays 20 minutes a game.

It's not even a win-later move anymore, what does Danault have over him ? This is crazy how people can't see what is happening. We've literally went through this about 6 years ago. Galchenyuk and Desharnais, Kotkaniemi and Danault, the same ****ing thing, it's crazy..
You just finishing writing that the entire future of the organization rests on his shoulders.

And you're asking me why I'm going full tilt?

As for making other people jealous...

I couldn't care less, my insecurities or yours in this case, really have nothing to do with how Kotkaniemk should be developed.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Points ARE every thing. At some point, if you're going to have a good team, your best players need to produce, and thats what these kids CAN and SHOULD do.
Points shouldn't be how we judge every player...at least not exclusively.

Points are largely circumstantial

Certainly not an 18yr old kid 7 games into his career.

Nick Suzuki was a dominant player in the CHL last year, he still is...well over 1 PPG.

Did that aid in his bid to make the roster this camp?

Was he better than others because he dominated inferior competition?

It didnt do a damn thing for him in September with the Habs.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
You just finishing writing that the entire future of the organization rests on his shoulders.

I couldn't care less, my insecurities or yours in this case, really have nothing to do with how Kotkaniemk should be developed.
The future is on his shoulders though. Well, not his, but rather the organisations shoulders to develop him right.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Points shouldn't be how we judge every player...at least not exclusively.

Points are largely circumstantial

Certainly not an 18yr old kid 7 games into his career.

Nick Suzuki was a dominant player in the CHL last year, he still is...well over 1 PPG.

Did that aid in his bid to make the roster this camp?

Was he better than others because he dominated inferior competition?

It didnt do a damn thing for him in September with the Habs.
You know thats not what I am saying, and what anyone is saying.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The future is on his shoulders though. Well, not his, but rather the organisations shoulders to develop him right.
Sure I agree with that

I just don't get why he has to live to that NOW.

It's a process

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Galchenyuk played on the third line with no PP time in his first year too, its literally the same thing.

The fact Galchenyuk was used on the 3rd line has no bearing on whether using Kotkaniemi on the 3rd line is a good thing or not. Galchenyuk had his own problems (rehab?), which makes it really difficult to put the blame for Galchenyuk's somewhat slow improvement over the years on the management. On top of that Galchenyuk was playing wing in his rookie season whereas Kotkaniemi is playing center which makes the two situations completely different.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Sure I agree with that

I just don't get why he has to live to that NOW.

It's a process
It's a process sure, but then why is he playing on the third line ? Why not put him in a position to succeed? If you want to form lawyers do you send them to mechanics school ?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Read my rant above. Galchenyuk was treated the same in his first season. "We love his enthusiasm" kinda positive comments.

Read it and appreciate the concern and just because most of us are supporting the player continuing as he is now, doesn't mean we don't share it.

We have a difference of opinion about how the player is best brought along. Galchenyuk is only a comparable in terms of his high draft slot. He is nowhere in the same position as Kotkaniemi is.

For one, Kotkaniemi has a far superior hockey IQ, as you yourself have expounded at several junctures. He's defensively responsible and plays a 200 foot game, something Galchenyuk never had and probably never will even now that he has a lot of NHL years under his belt.

Galchenyuk was mangled by the likes of Therrien. Julien with Ducharme in tow, provide a different environment.

There is no arrangement that would allow Kotkaniemi to go to the AHL, so that option is tenuous. Where is he going to go -- Pori? Is that really better than playing on a smaller NHL rink learning the ropes in the structured manner that Julien/Ducharme have been bringing him along?

Also, Galchenyuk had lost a full year of development when the Habs brought him up, on account of a serious injury that took him away from the game for a year. Compare that to Kotkaniemi who played with men last year and didn't skip a beat. And has shown a consistent progression since the summer and has not looked out of place since the Habs's training camp.

Kotkaniemi is getting more than reasonable ice time at an average of 14 minutes per game. He's also being used in situations that he has mostly handled well. I don't see the big issue with having him continue what he's doing, there is no cause for concern. What was going on 6 years ago has nothing to do with what is going on now.

There are no signs of anything requiring an urgent intervention, as there were when Galchenyuk was under Therrien's watch. Not to mention that Galchenyuk had significant baggage that dogged him from within his family. Kotkaniemi doesn't appear to have a meddling father who is going to stoop over the Habs's organization on every decision they take. And he looks like a wholesome kid whose parents are available to him to keep him on the straight and narrow.

Whatever happened with Galchenyuk is unfortunate but it has nothing at all to do with Kotkaniemi.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Why would you be "full of it"? Why are your "insecurities" being invoked?

You've made several valid points that don't happen to agree with the views of another poster. That doesn't make you a lesser person nor one with emotional, psychological or other issues.

Why do exchanges on this forum always have to end up in a gutter just because some of us don't happen to agree on everything? You deserve full respect, as does whoever disagrees with you -- let's leave the personal stuff out, there is no need for that. I'm fully accepting that others may not agree with me, that doesn't give me license to resort to personal epithets. I'd wish others to treat me and you in the same manner.

You're far from "full of it", you just happen to have a difference of opinion. There is no problem, really.

Reactions: 417 and dinodebino

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Yes, he is the only current, bona fide potential no. 1C this organization has within its system. I don't think that should be taken lightly, however, he's well surrounded -- has his mother here, is living in a good family environment, has Armia on his line helping him to transition to the North American game and learn the culture. And there is the Ducharme factor, as I argued.

I am encouraged by his support system, hence I feel a high degree of confidence that he is where he belongs. And it's quite OK if you hold the opposite view, you're one of the most analytical and respected posters on this forum and I value your opinion nonetheless.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It's a process sure, but then why is he playing on the third line ? Why not put him in a position to succeed? If you want to form lawyers do you send them to mechanics school ?

I'm not sure that analogy holds up well.

You'd be amazed what young lawyers have to do to get there. They do research, they write extensive memorandums and those who are being groomed to become litigators, attend court on simple motions alone but are accompanied by experienced lawyers as the nature of their cases either become more complex or present a higher stake. They are gradually brought along working on actual cases not on moot court quandaries.

Pori = moot court.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Read it and appreciate the concern and just because most of us are supporting the player continuing as he is now, doesn't mean we don't share it.

We have a difference of opinion about how the player is best brought along. Galchenyuk is only a comparable in terms of his high draft slot. He is nowhere in the same position as Kotkaniemi is.

Chucky is a comparable because he had the talent to be an 80 points center for us, but was "brought along slowly" and instead of trying to work with his strength, they tried to mold him into something he is not. They gave him third line duties, with little to no PP time, gave PP time to lesser player that had no future with the team, gave that latter player the best players on the team, and gave Chucky nothing. This is exactly what Kotkaniemi is getting, replace Desharnais with Danault.

For one, Kotkaniemi has a far superior hockey IQ, as you yourself have expounded at several junctures. He's defensively responsible and plays a 200 foot game, something Galchenyuk never had and probably never will even now that he has a lot of NHL years under his belt.

True, he's a 200 foot player, but thats not why he was drafted, he was drafted to put up points, he's not going to do that playing with Armia on the third line with no PP time.

Galchenyuk was mangled by the likes of Therrien. Julien with Ducharme in tow, provide a different environment.

I like Ducharme too, but Julien is and will always be a dinosaur.

There is no arrangement that would allow Kotkaniemi to go to the AHL, so that option is tenuous. Where is he going to go -- Pori? Is that really better than playing on a smaller NHL rink learning the ropes in the structured manner that Julien/Ducharme have been bringing him along?

I'm sure Kotkaniemi would go to the AHL if asked by the team, and Im also sure he'd make his Finland team decent, he'd be their best player.

Also, Galchenyuk had lost a full year of development when the Habs brought him up, on account of a serious injury that took him away from the game for a year. Compare that to Kotkaniemi who played with men last year and didn't skip a beat. And has shown a consistent progression since the summer and has not looked out of place since the Habs's training camp.

Kotkaniemi lost a full year too, in his d-1 year.

Kotkaniemi is getting more than reasonable ice time at an average of 14 minutes per game. He's also being used in situations that he has mostly handled well. I don't see the big issue with having him continue what he's doing, there is no cause for concern. What was going on 6 years ago has nothing to do with what is going on now.

I don't disagree with that, though 14 minutes is on the low side.

There are no signs of anything requiring an urgent intervention, as there were when Galchenyuk was under Therrien's watch. Not to mention that Galchenyuk had significant baggage that dogged him from within his family. Kotkaniemi doesn't appear to have a meddling father who is going to stoop over the Habs's organization on every decision they take. And he looks like a wholesome kid whose parents are available to him to keep him on the straight and narrow.

Come on, don't go there. Galchenyuk didn't come with any baggage at 18 YO, he was a all-smiles young kid with boatloads of talent. The organisation also didn't help Alex in growing up, which is something important.

Whatever happened with Galchenyuk is unfortunate but it has nothing at all to do with Kotkaniemi.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Chucky is a comparable because he had the talent to be an 80 points center for us, but was "brought along slowly" and instead of trying to work with his strength, they tried to mold him into something he is not. They gave him third line duties, with little to no PP time, gave PP time to lesser player that had no future with the team, gave that latter player the best players on the team, and gave Chucky nothing. This is exactly what Kotkaniemi is getting, replace Desharnais with Danault.

We're talking 7 games played in the regular season for Kotkaniemi. Just because he's playing on a third line now, doesn't mean he's going to play there over the rest of the season or into next season. He's being brought along slowly, I really don't see a problem with that approach. He's still getting valuable NHL minutes.

True, he's a 200 foot player, but thats not why he was drafted, he was drafted to put up points, he's not going to do that playing with Armia on the third line with no PP time.

I only brought up the 200 foot game part not to diminish the player or to peg him into an offensive underachiever, but to show that he is much more likely to be trusted over time than a Galchenyuk who never learned to play in his own zone. Most NHL coaches value defensive play -- a young player who shows he is defensively responsible will earn an coach's trust much faster and will be given greater minutes and responsibilities sooner. This is where the projected gap will manifest itself when compared to Galchenyuk's sinewy and regressive path under Therrien.

I like Ducharme too, but Julien is and will always be a dinosaur.

No disagreement from me, but the NHL is littered with similar old school coaches. There are worse specimens. At least he appears to be open to Ducharme's input -- and we have arguably one of the sharpest young coaching minds in the game who has vast experience with players like Kotkaniemi.

I'm sure Kotkaniemi would go to the AHL if asked by the team, and Im also sure he'd make his Finland team decent, he'd be their best player.

I'm not sure how going to Finland would help him. Being the best in an environment where he'd have far less to overcome, won't bring out the best in him, IMHO. How much is the OHL helping Suzuki right now? I didn't consider the AHL as I'm not sure it could be an option for contractual reasons. Maybe that can change over time, I don't know.

Kotkaniemi lost a full year too, in his d-1 year.

Sorry, wasn't aware that he lost a year. How old was he when that happened and why? I apologize for not knowing what "d-1' means.

I don't disagree with that, though 14 minutes is on the low side.

Don't mean to quibble, but from I what I read, I thought 12 minutes was a reasonable minimum. I'm sure no one would be averse to 16 or 18 minutes, if he shows he can handle them.

Come on, don't go there. Galchenyuk didn't come with any baggage at 18 YO, he was a all-smiles young kid with boatloads of talent. The organisation also didn't help Alex in growing up, which is something important.

Please don't infer that was talking about anything else but his overbearing, boorish father. As you well know, there have been reports about how his father was calling the GM and was very intrusive, trying to tell the coach how to deploy his son. Are you suggesting that this was not the case? I want nothing to do with his alleged drug rehab situation cause that's Mario-Tremblay-TMZ garbage, it may have never happened, we will never know.

The baggage I was referring to is purely familial -- I don't believe Galchenyuk's family were a good support system and influence. I don't get the same impression with Kotkaniemi, however, I will concede that we don't have enough of a track record yet to know more. Just going on a first blush basis.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Sorry, wasn't aware that he lost a year. How old was he when that happenned. I apologize for not knowing what "d-1' means.

The “D” refers to their draft year, so -1 is the prior year and +1 would be the following. Thus, this current season is his D+1.

I don’t recall him losing a whole year though in his D-1. He did lose a significant amount of time though because of his knee injury... I think like half the season.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The “D” refers to their draft year, so -1 is the prior year and +1 would be the following. Thus, this current season is his D+1.

I don’t recall him losing a whole year though in his D-1. He did lose a significant amount of time though because of his knee injury... I think like half the season.

Thanks. My geekiness wasn't evolved enough, lol.

If he missed 6 months, it was obviously a serious injury. Who knows if it required surgery or what the implications were.

Thanks again for the info.

Reactions: sandviper

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I'm not sure that analogy holds up well.

You'd be amazed what young lawyers have to do to get there. They do research, they write extensive memorandums and those who are being groomed to become litigators, attend court on simple motions alone but are accompanied by experienced lawyers as the nature of their cases either become more complex or present a higher stake. They are gradually brought along working on actual cases not on moot court quandaries.

Pori = moot court.

Doctors, as an example, are basically developped in steps and given responsibilities according to what they can do. Its a long, 10 year process, where the first two years are focused on learning basic material. If they succeed, they start clerkship, where they're rated as clerk 1 or 2 depending on which year they're at and they're under supervision of a resident doctor and a full fledged physician. That's basically where they learn the basics of clinical work.

Then, comes the license exam which allows them to start specialty training which, for about half of them, is around an additional 5 year process. There's a stark increase in their responsibilities (anywhere between 50-90 hours weekly), but they're essentially in the pro leagues at that point. They need to be pros or they'll crumble under the life/death choices they have to make when deprived of sleep, all while doing research, teaching, doing conferences and studying. But that's part of being a pro. Some are better at it and are very quickly at ease. Others it takes the full 5 years and then some. Yet, responsibilities are gradually give through the R1 to the R5. And everyone goes through that development path. Some changes to that will be made as soon as this year (it'll be a competency based residency), but essentially the process is long and hard, because lives are at stake, the work is hard and they need to learn how to be pros when they're done as soon as year 1 of their practice. Without that, it's hard to know where/how to get clinical knowledge and even harder to apply it. Yet, were talking top of the class (often school, actually) students here who need to learn the ropes. Even with high potential ones, they need that time or will have deficiencies once they don't have supervision.

The point being you're gambling uselessly when someones not close to being ready. They can turn out fine, but there's risk and steel forging steel is an outdated practice and mentality, it only forges steel that could've been sharper if properly worked.

Kotkaniemi's issues atm aren't banal: he struggles to play at the pace of his usual game, he's never open for a pass (big red flag), he's physically not ready and his skating still needs work. The gap compared to what's expected from NHLers is enough to seriously question the advantages of keeping him here, on a team that's historically terrible at developing U20 players.

What Pori is for him is his R4 or R5. Moot court would be going back to his U20 league.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I also want to touch on the subject of Barkov as well, as I feel he was wrongly given as a favorable example when I feel it's the opposite.

Barkov also needed work on his skating, but he was a bigger, more talented player with a stronger two way game.

Not only that, he was coming off a historic ppg season in Liiga where he actually played center. The previous season, he had a similar season as Kotkaniemi's D year. Like Kotka, he was one of the youngest in his draft.

Yet, he still wasn't more than a 30-40 point player and got injured his first year. Was 17 year old Barkov ready for the NHL ? No. That's essentially where Kotkaniemi is skill wise and physically atm.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I also want to touch on the subject of Barkov as well, as I feel he was wrongly given as a favorable example when I feel it's the opposite.

Barkov also needed work on his skating, but he was a bigger, more talented player with a stronger two way game.

Not only that, he was coming off a historic ppg season in Liiga where he actually played center. The previous season, he had a similar season as Kotkaniemi's D year. Like Kotka, he was one of the youngest in his draft.

Yet, he still wasn't more than a 30-40 point player and got injured his first year. Was 17 year old Barkov ready for the NHL ? No. That's essentially where Kotkaniemi is skill wise and physically atm.

a)Barkov missed the draft offseason due to injury,
b)Barkov got injured at the Olympics
c)He played with garbage players who couldn't get contracts after.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land

He's Galchenyuk at 18, our second chance, the Habs 2nd chance to redeem themselves, and... theyre doing the same freaking thing. "Break him in slowly", "let him earn his place", "show him the ropes", "not now, maybe later". **** that, this kid is either playing first line and first PP with our best wingers and sticking there through hard times or he goes back in Finland or in the AHL and plays 20 minutes a game.

It's not even a win-later move anymore, what does Danault have over him ? This is crazy how people can't see what is happening. We've literally went through this about 6 years ago. Galchenyuk and Desharnais, Kotkaniemi and Danault, the same ****ing thing, it's crazy.

Wow, chill man ! I don't have a cristal ball but trust me on this one : he's not gonna turn like Galchenyuk did with Therrien and Julien. Jesperi is different than Galchy and it's not the same context. Now you compare Danault with Desharnais, clearly not the same type of player. Habs need Danault right now, he's our one and only real center. Not Crosby or Toews but he's the best we have right now and is fitting nicely with Gallagher and Tatar.
I think Habs management learned a thing or two from the treatment they did with Galchenyuk. They have improved training staff and are showing better intelligence.

My advice is : don't get too emotional with this. Jesperi is playing wonderfull but he's still a kid in my eyes. He might be sendt to Finland and I would be confortable with the decision. Jesperi is showing he's mature, he have a stable character to face the media circus of Montreal. This is what I think and you are allowed to think differently from me. It's ok.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Wow, chill man ! I don't have a cristal ball but trust me on this one : he's not gonna turn like Galchenyuk did with Therrien and Julien. Jesperi is different than Galchy and it's not the same context. Now you compare Danault with Desharnais, clearly not the same type of player. Habs need Danault right now, he's our one and only real center. Not Crosby or Toews but he's the best we have right now and is fitting nicely with Gallagher and Tatar.
I think Habs management learned a thing or two from the treatment they did with Galchenyuk. They have improved training staff and are showing better intelligence.

My advice is : don't get too emotional with this. Jesperi is playing wonderfull but he's still a kid in my eyes. He might be sendt to Finland and I would be confortable with the decision. Jesperi is showing he's mature, he have a stable character to face the media circus of Montreal. This is what I think and you are allowed to think differently from me. It's ok.

Honestly, I'm thinking that you can't even screw up Kotkaniemi. You're right Kotka and Galch aren't comparable. I think we mishandled Galchenyuk but I just don't think he quite had the tools or maybe the toolbox. He can still end up being better than he was here but I don't think he ever could be that PPG #1C. Not with his skating and lack of engagement. Kotka's a different beast. I think he's more skilled than Galchenyuk while working harder, skating better (for their ages at least) and playing better defensively. Kotka actually pulls off the dekes he tries. Galch lost the puck more often than not.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
It's become cliché in the sense that dominating inferior competition, has suddenly trumped a player playing well and producing in the NHL.

A 35pt rookie season in the NHL for Kotkaniemi (mixed in with numerous ups and downs) > a PPG season in the SM Liiga.

It's not cliche because once you put that kid in the NHL, you don't know what he's going to be playing well and producing so you are taking a risk that isn't necessary as you don't know what impact it will have on his confidence, which imo is such a huge part of hockey and when you mess with it, it can be very hard to get back.

Also while 35 pts in the NHL would be solid, a ppg in Liiga for a U-19 player would be among the best all time seasons which is kind of my point. I have said many times we don't know what's best for him, but to me if you waited one year I don't see the harm. Now had he spent all year in Liiga and say he puts up a ppg, his confidence could be sky high coming into camp next fall.

It's just what I would have preferred we try instead of the usual let's rush this kid and hope it works. Seeing how he's so smart and good defensively, I think he sticks and I'm sure things will work out but I'm against taking the risk by an organization that has so badly developed talent in the last 6 years.

Sure, not everyone will agree but a clear majority of posters here are not at all concerned about the decision management has made to keep the player at the NHL level beyond 9 games.

Question the organization all you want, that's your prerogative and at several junctures, have done so myself and am continuing to do so whenever something looks to be off-kilter to me. And no, I haven't forgiven MB for his first 6 years, however, I'm not going to go on some conspiracy theory that involves past players that have ZERO to do with how Julien and his assistants are handling the player now. This "risk" thing is pure exaggeration, he played with men last year, he proved that he can play in that kind of environment. He's not made of porcelain, he'll adapt. I like the way Julien and his assistants have been deploying him so far and he's been getting his minutes, in a controlled manner.

Not all 18 year olds can handle it, but this 18-year old appears to be adapting and his high hockey IQ will make up for whatever he lacks in NHL experience. Not everything has to be doom and gloom with this organization.

It's really not an exaggeration imo as at least to me hockey is really so much mental. I just think if you talk to many NHLers they would agree that confidence is a huge part of finding success in the NHL and that it can be very hard to get back if you are part in a tough spot and struggle.

Of course everyone will handle struggles differently and I think you need to struggle, but I just would have preferred they wait a year. Let him get stronger, let him fill out, let him work on his skating, let him get more confident and then see where he's at.

But it's true at the end of the day I can't trust a man who it took 6 years to figure out he needed to fire Lefebvre and that there was an issue with development.

I'm just confused at times with our fanbase.

Development or lack there of, has been a big talking point here over the years.

We have a bright prospect developing right before our eyes but it seems like we don't want that now?

What gives?

Yes development has been a major problem that at least one on hand we should see better results after finally firing the coach in charge of our AHL players and replacing him with what seems like a very good hire at least so far.

I don't know what's going to happen with Kotka but I don't think he's playing as well as you and it worries me since so much is riding and we may not get a 2nd chance after this for some time which could push us back years. Granted who knows what will happen, but I don't see why people would question why others don't trust an organization that has been run into the ground with poor decisions, so when our most important decision comes up and they take a riskier approach vs just leaving him in Liiga for year then at least some are going to say I worry you aren't make the best decision once again.

Reactions: Andrei79

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
If he stays he's going to destroy our chance at a lottery pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad