Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
At some point everyone needs to learn at the NHL level, it’s a development year - or should be anyways - and he’s looked fine so might as well get him used to it now and Julien is now starting to play him more in all situations which is great

No way they put DLR on waivers if there was any chance KK was being sent down/home

StiffSquid

Nov 17, 2016
North Carolina
Sheesh please don't send him back to Finland. The team he would play for in there is an absolute dumpster fire. It would not benefit him In any way.

I think he's committed to North America. AHL might be good.

Reactions: ArtPeur

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
What is his upside? He has climbed the prospect charts and continues to do so. A lot of scouts had him outside the top 10 but it’s obvious that he rated being picked in the top 3

Reactions: Fixxer and Runner77

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
What is his upside? He has climbed the prospect charts and continues to do so. A lot of scouts had him outside the top 10 but it’s obvious that he rated being picked in the top 3
Ceiling would be a Kopitar or Toews imo but I doubt he gets there. Im thinking ROR. Solid 2 way guy that hovers around 60 pts

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Would like to see him with better wingers, and in the top 6
I think his wingers are fine, Byron and Armia are two of our hardest working wingers.

Armia is great in all 3 zones, strong on the forecheck, along the boards and in tight spaces.

Byron brings the speed element, he's also improving as a finisher.

I hope this line stays together.

Reactions: Fixxer and Runner77

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
He convinced me even more when he went after the Sen's player who bumped into Price. Shows guts and he's doesn't care if he's a rookie, he sticks with the big boys.

Nothing stopping him from beefing up here, there's nothing in Finland he can't get here and more. AHL if he really falters, but I don't see it happening.

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
The kid is fine where he is, he has shown to be one of the better players up front. It’s not like he is struggling, he is actually thriving. Looks better and better with every game

KK was everywhere in preseason, he waa moving his feet more. Hes playing catch up a lot now, and it's early on in the season. Not sure what the exact reason is since he if supposed to have great cardio.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Well wasting a year of his ELC mean 3-5 million less cap space in 3 years when we may be in a position to actually win something.
The ELC could work a couple ways though. Right now it's looking like his ELC will be done when he's 21. (D+3) Hopefully he's progressing nicely and worth a 6x6 or similar contract like Barkov/Mackinnon/Scheifele got.

OR

He could sign his second contract after his d+4 year where he explodes for 90 points and wants 9M+per year as is the going rate for #1C.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
I think his wingers are fine, Byron and Armia are two of our hardest working wingers.

Armia is great in all 3 zones, strong on the forecheck, along the boards and in tight spaces.

You don’t see that Armia is killing a lot of Kotka’s offense? Armia is a 3rd/4th line player.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
You don’t see that Armia is killing a lot of Kotka’s offense? Armia is a 3rd/4th line player.
Armia is litterally creating more offence than Kotkaniemi at this point. Case in point is the goal Byron scored yesterday, all the posts about what a play by Kotka yet it was Armias play that made that goal.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Ceiling would be a Kopitar or Toews imo but I doubt he gets there. Im thinking ROR. Solid 2 way guy that hovers around 60 pts

It's hard to look at him right now and think he stops there, especially if they can give him a winger like Kakko.

Armia is litterally creating more offence than Kotkaniemi at this point. Case in point is the goal Byron scored yesterday, all the posts about what a play by Kotka yet it was Armias play that made that goal.

Next shift Kotka gave a chance for both Byron& Armia.

Armia has battled with the puck a lot this season, just killing the flow of the play too often.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

Which scouts had him outside the top 10 ? I'm not talking about agencies here, but real NHL scouts. I'be only heard of them being high on him and he was no.5 on Bob McKenzies rankings (a consensus of 10 scouts, of which 8 are their teams head scout).

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

Konka creates more per times he has the puck, but he just has too hard a time getting open to get it and it hurts his line. And he's not playing his game. He's a high compete player who's playing slow because things are going too fast.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

He may not have the top wingers, be played in the most critical junctures (example: faceoffs in the D-Zone) or have the most advantageous ice time on PP or in OT -- so long as there is no drop in his TOI, I don't see any issues with how the coach chooses to deploy him. It's only Year One of what should be a long and successful career and there is absolutely no harm in bringing him along in a controlled manner.

Reactions: HKbleu and 417

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
While I'm still inclined to view Finland as the best option for his long term development, his progression through this trial period is trending very positively.

If they do keep him, I just hope CJ & Ducharme have the power & intent to nurture his confidence & MB'd typical desperation approach to decision making doesn't translate to the kid getting bumped down the depth chart as the season progresses in some idiotic attempt to prioritize making a run at the PO's over setting us up for long term success (which, clearly, requires JKO to evolve into a top tier #1C)

Reactions: DAChampion
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->