Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
continue ...

I get the feeling you don't care for the player?

I like him just fine, I would have preferred to trade down if possible and get a late 1st or early 2nd. If we could have done that then I would have went with Boqvist to replace the loss of Sergachev. I don't scout though, I only watch Hab prospects but the little I saw him I was very impressed. Taking Kotka worried me that we would repeat the Galchenyuk mistake although with him being much better defensively he would be used better then Galchenyuk.

But I like him a lot, just don't think he's looked that good at all when you factor in he's a 3rd OA in a sick draft and for the most part has been very sheltered. He's not been bad at all, I just find him to be hold on out there. I hated the idea of him being here, would much rather see him working on his skating, getting quicker, more explosive, stronger, filling out his frame while not in the crazed limelight of the Hab fans/media. I don't think delaying things a year would hurt him at all, but we'll see what rushing him does as I am sure he's making the team as I don't see CJ and MB messing with what's working.

Last edited:

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Sad that we have 0 sniper in our team because I would love to see him play with KK. I think we need to put some one else then Armia with KK but I don't know who.. don't want a touch at the Domi and Danault lines so even if I don't like Sherback and if it was me he would be traded it's been a long time, could we try him at the place of Armia ?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Can't start a new Kotkaniemi thread without this ...

nMReO7d.gif

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Thought he had his best game in a while against the Blues; looked involved and got a couple of chances. He's got the typical rookie trait of trying to defer the puck to veterans on his line rather than gripping it and ripping it when he gets in tight, but that should come with confidence and time.

As long as he gets okay ice time and keeps trending upward/learning, I'm fine with keeping him in the line up all year.

Reactions: tooji

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Martin Necas has been sent down to the AHL, whos, IMO, a bit ahead of Jesperi in his development and both have 1C potential. Its not a bad idea.
What I've seen of the kid I like but he needs to go to Laval or Finland. I would prefer Laval. I don't see him in the same light as many other posters. I see him struggling out there and being physically overpowered. If records were kept I'd say he falls more often than DD ever did.

Habset

Feb 21, 2008
Montreal
What I've seen of the kid I like but he needs to go to Laval or Finland. I would prefer Laval. I don't see him in the same light as many other posters. I see him struggling out there and being physically overpowered. If records were kept I'd say he falls more often than DD ever did.

It's similar to what we saw from Paccioretty when he 1st came to the team. He then asked to be sent to the AHL and came back a better player. I'd like to see that same for Kotkaniemmi and I don't mind if it's in Finland or AHL as long as they give him minues in Finland I think it'll help him even more with developing offence but AHL might be better for physicallity.

Reactions: Habs Icing

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
We focus too much on production, especially for young players.

Kotkaniemi does a lot of good things on the ice, the production will eventually follow, i'm not worried about that personally.
I don’t realy care about production at this point but what i realy care about right now is him having the puck on his stick the most he can. He won’t do that in the NHL if he keeps playing with his current linemate. So sent him down or make him play with puck possession players.

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
It's similar to what we saw from Paccioretty when he 1st came to the team. He then asked to be sent to the AHL and came back a better player. I'd like to see that same for Kotkaniemmi and I don't mind if it's in Finland or AHL as long as they give him minues in Finland I think it'll help him even more with developing offence but AHL might be better for physicallity.

Not really. Iv'e never seen Pacio doing what Kotkaniemi is doing right now. We've seen some really nice flash and he just need to trust himself to shoot the puck more.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It's not similar at all...

He played on the 4th line with guys like Steve Bégin, Kyle Chipchura and Greg Stewart, Tom Pyatt, Ryan White, often times playing 6-7 mins a game.

He asked to be sent to the AHL so he could play.

Kotkaniemi is playing on the teams 3rd line with Paul Byron & Joel Armia, he's playing 14 mins a game.

Completely different situations.

Habset

Feb 21, 2008
Montreal
It's not similar at all...

He played on the 4th line with guys like Steve Bégin, Kyle Chipchura and Greg Stewart, Tom Pyatt, Ryan White, often times playing 6-7 mins a game.

He asked to be sent to the AHL so he could play.

Kotkaniemi is playing on the teams 3rd line with Paul Byron & Joel Armia, he's playing 14 mins a game.

Completely different situations.

In 2008-2009 he played most of his minutes with Plekanec and Kovalev:

upload_2018-10-19_12-45-47.png

Reactions: 417

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I still would have drafted a Boqvist or Tkachuk, even though its the unpopular thing to say.

Reactions: Wats

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Martin Necas has been sent down to the AHL, whos, IMO, a bit ahead of Jesperi in his development and both have 1C potential. Its not a bad idea.

He really struggled with the puck, seemed to be constantly fighting with it.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
Tkachuk is a beast, but I have faith that Kotkaniemi will be a great center for us. We needed a good C prospect unfortunately.

I would have never passed on what I feel is a better player, in Tkachuk. The Habs reached big time with this kid, passed on better talent. The Brady haters are suspiciously quiet these days as he is proving to be an amazing pick up until his injury.

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
I would have never passed on what I feel is a better player, in Tkachuk. The Habs reached big time with this kid, passed on better talent. The Brady haters are suspiciously quiet these days as he is proving to be an amazing pick up until his injury.
Brady might be better in the moment, but he is also pretty much a year ahead in his development. Evaluating this a few years down the line I think it will be clear the habs made the right call

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Jesus... again with the reaching big time crap? Jesperi is the youngest player in the NHL atm and he looks fine, Tkachuk had a hot streak, relax.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
Jesus... again with the reaching big time crap? Jesperi is the youngest player in the NHL atm and he looks fine, Tkachuk had a hot streak, relax.

Do I need to invoke a trigger warning when suggesting other players are better than Jesperi? I keep forgetting. Its just my opinion, I sat though countless Tkachuk bashing threads, but he's been dominant with, and without the puck. Jesperi has been decent at times, certainly a long ways to go. The kid needs a shorter stick too, I hope they convince him to give his Chara sized stick up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad