Prospect Info: Jesperi Kotkaniemi Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Kotkaniemi had a good game last night. He just seems to be able to find the puck and I love his patience with the puck. I like his long stick reach but wondering how much time he will have to get that shot off he has. I'm waiting for a when he has time to pick a corner. His vision is off the charts for a 18 year old kid.

I wasn't going to be upset if we took Zadina but Kotkaniemi was my 1st choice. Same as I won't be upset if he stays with the Habs, but back to Finland my the 1st choice still. And I know how good he looks. But 82 games is a long season for a 18 year old kid.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Why? Nolan Patrick stayed with Philly all season long despite having a really weak first half of the season.

Kotka faired very well. First game in the NHL against Toronto IN Toronto...hard spot for any rookie.
Nolan Patrick was a beast physically. Kotka is not, and he needs to be.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Its nice to see that some of our more informed posters such as NotProkofievian have been given the props they deserve for this pick. Most of us go by what the scouts say and don't actually see most of these players on a consistent basis. We rely on lists , clips and what some of our posters say to make up our minds.

Having said that, most posters who are in "the know" probably didn't expect him to be this good this fast.

As bad as this season will probably be, it's funny to say this, i'm actually positive regarding the teams future for the first time in many years.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Its nice to see that some of our more informed posters such as NotProkofievian have been given the props they deserve for this pick. Most of us go by what the scouts say and don't actually see most of these players on a consistent basis. We rely on lists , clips and what some of our posters say to make up our minds.

Having said that, most posters who are in "the know" probably didn't expect him to be this good this fast.

As bad as this season will probably be, it's funny to say this, i'm actually positive regarding the teams future for the first time in many years.
I didn't tbh, I could see he was good when I watched Pori but his adaptation to the NA game has been way beyond my expectations.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Yeah, Jesperi has taken off to such an extent that I've been both right and wrong about him in the space of a few months. People were chirping about his supposed ''turrible'' skating once they got a look at him, but holy shit..his skating was actually really bad within this calendar year.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Yeah, Jesperi has taken off to such an extent that I've been both right and wrong about him in the space of a few months. People were chirping about his supposed ''turrible'' skating once they got a look at him, but holy ****..his skating was actually really bad within this calendar year.

True.

Without being a bad player, speed was an issue in both of the pre draft year U18s, meaning the Hlinka and 2017 U18. He looked like a differenr player as early as the 5 nations.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Can somebody please clarify how to properly pronounce his name, when he got drafted they clearly called him kot ka nemi and I have serious doubt they would get his name wrong on the draft floor, but in a recent interview with claude julien he refers to him as kot ka knee emi so what is it because I hate not knowing these things lol

Pierre Houde, is that you?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Yeah, Jesperi has taken off to such an extent that I've been both right and wrong about him in the space of a few months. People were chirping about his supposed ''turrible'' skating once they got a look at him, but holy ****..his skating was actually really bad within this calendar year.

I think we all got taken by surprise, and thats just freaking encouraging. Even though we predicted hed be great, no one really saw him as good as he is this early. Guy is progressing so fast hes gonna basketball numbers in a year.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Fully admit to being wrong in regards to Kotkaniemi at #3. I wasn’t against the pick of him specifically more so thinking we probably could have traded down to grab him and I thought as such until the Coyotes made their pick.

I didn’t expect Kotkaniemi to jump right in and progress so much in such a short amount of time where there’s a legit possibility he could spend the whole season here (even though I’d still prefer to send him back to Finland to take advantage of that schedule and let him bulk up).

Even when he was clearly nervous at the start last night, the puck was glued to him, he was engaged in battles, his stick work was superb, he made no bad plays which are easy to make when the nerves get to you. This guy is superb. I can’t wait until he’s our 1C playing 20+ minutes a night.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Willing to give him however long it takes him to be a 1C. But if this is how he plays in the 9th game, he has to go back
You'd probably say this if he got a hat trick last night...

There was nothing about Kotkaniemi's game last night that screamed

"he's not ready, send him back to Finland".

Stop

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
You'd probably say this if he got a hat trick last night...

There was nothing about Kotkaniemi's game last night that screamed

"he's not ready, send him back to Finland".

Stop

Unless he has a 5 point game in the next 8 games it's...

tenor.gif

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
Where are the guys complaining about the rookie camp?

Please don't tell they are the kind of guys that will come out of the woodwork after 1 bad game :sarcasm:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
For a debut game on the road against franchise C's he was damm impressive.

Wasn't afraid of the puck and created chances, while also made some defensive plays.
He just looked like he belonged...

There weren't any moments where he seemed overwhelmed or that the magnitude of the game was too big for him.

Just a solid, performance.

Basically the baseline of what one has come to expect watching Kotkaniemi play.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Love this kid. Already has such a great understanding of his position, his role, his surroundings on the ice and so much poise with the puck. Never seems overwhelmed, truly impressive. Didn't expect him to be so comfortable this early on.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
If he didnt win battles at an elite rate, yeah.
win battles at an elite rate?

So what you're saying, is if by game 9 he's not doing things at an elite level...he needs to go back to Finland?

No offense and with all due respect.

But that's totally unrealistic. He's 18yrs old...he turned 18 3 months ago.

If you're expectation is that he be elite before he should play in the NHL, then you're not sending him back to Finland for this year.

You'll have to send him back for 5yrs

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
win battles at an elite rate?

So what you're saying, is if by game 9 he's not doing things at an elite level...he needs to go back to Finland?

No offense and with all due respect.

But that's totally unrealistic. He's 18yrs old...he turned 18 3 months ago.

If you're expectation is that he be elite before he should play in the NHL, then you're not sending him back to Finland for this year.

You'll have to send him back for 5yrs
Thats just because you have little knowledge of who Jesperi is as a player. All he needs to do this at an elite level is strength.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad