Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Part 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The point is that, it doesnt exist. Obviously theres genetics difference, but not to the point where hard work and dedication cant overcome this.

Do you a scientific explanation and data to prove your claims.

Be a Hab

Sep 17, 2010
Hint: not like that.

Ive trained pretty extensively ever since I was 14 and my legs started looking like that towards 23-24, not at 20.

That's good to hear. We just need to stay patient with KK. Timmonds did say he is more of a long-term project.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
The lashing out and tantrums in the other thread because some of us don't see KK as a 1C are hilarious. He just isn't showing it. A solid 3C/2C is what we have here. It's like people think just because he was drafted 3OA, it's going to magically morph his entire being into a player with elite C potential. Lol.
Also he was ranked ~13th.. so, the Habs used their 3OA on him... apparently that makes him better.

Reactions: Garbageyuk

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
This is Sid the Kid.

DdH1cZCUwAECNaE.jpg

That's more like it:thumbu:

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Look at his legs:eek: those are not hockey legs.

Dm-nxmnVAAUlyV6.jpg

you perhaps have never spent any time around NHL athletes...

you would probably be shocked at how slim/thin many of them are, both legs and upper body.

meanwhile, some are built like brick shit houses...

in that pick, i see a guy with beefy legs in comparison to the average i've seen. add the age and work ethic, and I suspect he'll be in the brick shit house category by his mid-20's.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
The modern hockey player is built much differently than hockey players were 5, 10 years ago.

Lehkonen is built like a stick. Yet he's tough onnthe boards. They have to shed weight to be able to get around the 200 foot rink quickly and with endurance to go up and down.

Having said that, the more muscle he builds in his legs, I think the faster amd more endurance he'll have. It will be interesting to see how much better he gets over time.

They are more built like T-rex nowadays but all the players I've seen ,including myself have large legs,not like KK or Simmons. And AL legs are much,much larger than KK's

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Never said there was not , just saying KK skating is fine as long he create opportunities and finish his forecheck which he does.

Not saying you did,just merely showing a few examples of less than stellar skaters.

If you think so that's your prerogative, I find he could do with better skating skills, it would only increase his ability to be more formidable.

Last edited:
Reactions: HabsWhiteKnightLOL

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
They are more built like T-rex nowadays but all the players I've seen ,including myself have large legs,not like KK or Simmons. And AL legs are much,much larger than KK's

Legs are one of the easiest muscles to train and increase their size, especially the thighs.

Yes, most hockey players have to buy custom jeans because their thighs much bigger relative to their waists.

Here's subban in May of this year. Not the thickest lower legs, but has very thick thighs, where the power comes from:

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
you perhaps have never spent any time around NHL athletes...

you would probably be shocked at how slim/thin many of them are, both legs and upper body.

meanwhile, some are built like brick shit houses...

in that pick, i see a guy with beefy legs in comparison to the average i've seen. add the age and work ethic, and I suspect he'll be in the brick shit house category by his mid-20's.

Not too much, just played with a bunch and went to a few parties, but that's a while back. Pretty much back then they all had big legs if I recall correctly.

Reactions: Ozmodiar

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Legs are one of the easiest muscles to train and increase their size, especially the thighs.

Yes, most hockey players have to buy custom jeans because their thighs much bigger relative to their waists.

Here's subban in May of this year. Not the thickest lower legs, but has very thick thighs, where the power comes from:

I can't see any thighs in that pic,and those calves are pretty skimpy imo. Yup pretty easy to get large legs if so inclined. Look at speed skaters legs,built for speed and endurance.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I can't see any thighs in that pic,and those calves are pretty skimpy imo. Yup pretty easy to get large legs if so inclined. Look at speed skaters legs,built for speed and endurance.

Yeah, Subba's naturally skinny. But he did a lot of training off ice to build his legs up. His thighs at least are thick. Not sure If he works on his calfs normally and that was an offseason break time, or if he only builds up his thighs.

Reactions: angusyoung

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
ever stop to consider that a big part of the reason he does end up knocked over a lot is precisely because of his willingness to play a "big boy game"? He doesn't need to. He has the skill and vision to avoid or minimize contact the way suzuki or caufied do, but he recognizes that with his frame he can put pressure on opponents physically...

and...

he's 20 and has a lanky frame. He needs to, and will, add muscle and better coordination as he fully matures physically. With his work ethic, there's no doubt of that. So, instead of nitpicking because he doesn't have the muscle/strength yet to fight through all of the contact he initiates (and attracts) without getting knocked on his arse a bit... another way to look at it would be to be thrilled that he's got the understanding of how he can bring that element to the table and the competitiveness and willingness to take his licks without backing down.

net positive, rather than negative.

(and if you watch the Vegas/Avs series tonight, take a look at how often Mackinnon ends up hitting the ice... here's a hint, it's not because of any issues with his strength, skating or balance ;)
There's so much wrong with this post I'm just going to say it belongs in the worst takes ever Hall of Shame.

Stick to your "context" and XF, Corsi takes.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Hes a 3C at the moment and produced like a 2C for most of the year until he hit the wall of the worst schedule ever played by a NHL team.

Hes 20, underdeveloped physically and clearly not at his best coordination wise and timing wise.

You basically act like he has plateaud as a player at 20. This is the ridiculous part.
You continually create false narratives to tear down because that's easier for you to do than argue in good faith or defend your viewpoints. Classic strawman tactics. In addition, anytime someone raises a good point or counter-argument, you simply ignore it. Then you chime in later and act like you've been participating in the debate/discussion like everyone else. There's no point in engaging with you until you're ready to have a discussion like a mature adult.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Perry is slow but has great balance. Balance is almost always the premier attribute of great skaters (combine that with edge work and speed and WOW)
Perry is an amazing player , he was not really fast in his prime either but his hockey IQ is out of the roof and hes always in the perfect spot. Those kinds of players are really rare. The guy wants to win and accepted a 750k offer on a taxi squad to have 1 more chance and he's thinking it.

This could be perhaps only a 1 year time so let's enjoy it while it last.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Perry is an amazing player , he was not really fast in his prime either but his hockey IQ is out of the roof and hes always in the perfect spot. Those kinds of players are really rare. The guy wants to win and accepted a 750k offer on a taxi squad to have 1 more chance and he's thinking it.

This could be perhaps only a 1 year time so let's enjoy it while it last.
I said from the beginning of him playing this year that he brings unique attributes to the team.
His hand eye coordination is amazing. His outside stick move is among the best i've ever seen . He's an example of a guy who knows how to buy himself time to make a play. Time and space are everything to a player in the NHL. You do it with speed or strength, or in Perry's case with amazing guile.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
There's so much wrong with this post I'm just going to say it belongs in the worst takes ever Hall of Shame.

Stick to your "context" and XF, Corsi takes.

and you stick to the attachement to ungrounded emotional takes with no basis in anything but a very poor understanding of elite sport in general, and hockey specifically.

the stats are just a way to ground, or challenge, visual assessments. Useless to those who rely solely on emotion, i appreciate that.

hence why not all opinions are the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad