Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi Part 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
When i’ve read this, i am very happy that i have blocked everybody that doesn’t have the common sense to talk of young kids like that without trashing them when they’re not playing great.
Honestly, its not even about being harsh, its fine to say someone sucked to me.

Here we see just flat delusion though.

muzion

Oct 5, 2007
St-Hubert, Québec
One bad pass from KK in the 3rd and Pierre Houde was all over him... He's part of the haters crew, I guess that's why he's so popular aroung these parts!

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
One bad pass from KK in the 3rd and Pierre Houde was all over him... He's part of the haters crew, I guess that's why he's so popular aroung these parts!
Yes, hes a notoriously bad KK hater. The amount of time he emphasizes a fumble or something by KK, almost seems like it happens every shift.

Im not sure if he really wanted Tkachuk or something but I find it very annoying. Its not something I remember him doing before.

Reactions: muzion

muzion

Oct 5, 2007
St-Hubert, Québec
Yes, hes a notoriously bad KK hater. The amount of time he emphasizes a fumble or something by KK, almost seems like it happens every shift.

Im not sure if he really wanted Tkachuk or something but I find it very annoying. Its not something I remember him doing before.
He's been picking favorites since forever. I remember last year he had decided that he was going to slob all over Quinn Hughes during the pre-game He set him up as if he was the second coming of Markov++, then Hughes proceded to have more turnovers than Romanov tonight, and he didn't know what to do with himself. He made all types of excuses all game, it was pathetic. He did it to so many young players of the Canadiens it's crazy.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

If we're able to clinch relatively soon, it wouldn't be the worst idea to give KK some games off.

He was great in the return to play after a layoff. And, he said himself recently that he's been feeling mentally exhausted from the condensed schedule. I'd like see him play at C with Caufield and Evans or Perry though for now.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I think we should all just give this thread a break. We’re all Habs fans, we all want KK to be good. Let’s hope he does it. Too many players playing great for us right now to over focus on the ones who aren’t.

Reactions: HalfFull

muzion

Oct 5, 2007
St-Hubert, Québec
If we're able to clinch relatively soon, it wouldn't be the worst idea to give KK some games off.

He was great in the return to play after a layoff. And, he said himself recently that he's been feeling mentally exhausted from the condensed schedule. I'd like see him play at C with Caufield and Evans or Perry though for now.
For sure. The calendar has been insane, a lot of guys need rest. Beautiful thing is I think the team gets 8 or 9 days of rest between the last game of the season and the 1st game of the playoffs. I don't understand why since we had a Covid break they didn't push back a couple games, but since we got through it the guys will be able to breathe a little.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Wouldn't make sense to me to sit him out. He's 20 years old and playing a shortened season. How can he be tired?

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
The boy is growing into his man body.
He’s 6’3” 190 lbs. he needs to stop training with his dad and hire Gary Roberts.

he needs to gain 15 lbs. 215 lbs for his size. Also take some skating classes fgs

Reactions: sbhatt

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Interesting, great effort putting this together. However, your data is flawed and not directly comparable because the PP ice-time is much more evenly split in Montreal between the two waves than the other teams mentioned. We have to take this into consideration. KK averages 1:58 of PP ice-time per game, while Nick Suzuki averages only 2:25 (27 seconds more). KK produced 4 points on the PP (all assists), while Suzuki has 13 points (5 goals, 8 assists).

If we look at most examples of "2nd wave" players with low point totals around the league, there's a much bigger discrepancy in PP ice-time in relation to their 1st wave players. For example, in Buffalo, Skinner averages 1:17, Eichel 3:27 (2:10 difference). In Florida, Wennberg averages 1:50, Huberteau 4:15 (2:25 difference). In New Jersey, Severson averages 1:54, Hughes 3:07 (1:13 difference) etc.

Using data from the NYI would be a better comparable taking into account how their PP ice-time is split between their two waves. Bailey averages 2:05 and leads their team with 9 points on the PP, while Barzal averages the most at 2:36 and has 7 points. Walhstrom with 1:48, Pageau with 1:52 and Nelson with 2:11, all have 8 points each. PP production is much more evenly spread between their players in relation to how their ice-time is split.

It wasn't a comparison between PP players production. It was a comparison between PP wave 2 players because I said that when they are deployed in the PP affected production. Wave 2 plays more often after wave 1 (even when alternating) which means they get less "good PP" time because most of their deployment are shortened.

Some people said it was bullshit, yet players listed as wave 2 players with similar TOI and avg/TOI to KK don't appear to produce more than KK.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
For sure. The calendar has been insane, a lot of guys need rest. Beautiful thing is I think the team gets 8 or 9 days of rest between the last game of the season and the 1st game of the playoffs. I don't understand why since we had a Covid break they didn't push back a couple games, but since we got through it the guys will be able to breathe a little.

Magic numbers are now 4 points with Vancouver and 3 points with Calgary. Any game we get points or the Flames or Nucks fail to get 2 points, the magic numbers go down.

I hope we clinch soon. I'd rather give the players the rest than chase a different first round opponent.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
He said in the press conference the other day the condensed schedule has been tough on him mentally.
It's supposed to be tough. It's the Major League. If he wants to sit out, fine, otherwise keep playing him the same.

Toligwen

Jan 5, 2019
funny you say this... Did you notice JKO getting time in OT? You know, where there's more space and time?

Nope. Evans? that offensive dynamo did, not JKO. Also didn't touch the ice in the last 5-6min of the game... you know, when the team was pressing for offense and loosening up the defensive coverage focus... this after the analysts watching the game were commenting on just how good he was looking offensively.

For whatever reason, coaching staff seems determined not to give him a legit shot at building some confidence. Keeps getting a short leash and minimal opportunity to grow his offensive game.

Has it been mentionned he took a slash to the ankle ?

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017

I am not a fan of Pierre Houde at all because of that.

He has his favorites like Danault. He emphazized Kovalev's fumble as well at the time.

Dont get me wrong thought.. Kk is not playing well in the last 20 games offensively. Shots selections, low scoring chances. On 5 vs 5 I try to remember 5 scoring chances that he had in his last 20 games...

He made a big improvement again this season defensively and on the face off circle but I want better production from him no matter with who he plays.

20 points in not enough. I always said that I see him in front of Suzuki down the road but I want better production from him next season and especially the year after at 22 years old

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I am not a fan of Pierre Houde at all because of that.

He has his favorites like Danault. He emphazized Kovalev's fumble as well at the time.

Dont get me wrong thought.. Kk is not playing well in the last 20 games offensively. Shots selections, low scoring chances. On 5 vs 5 I try to remember 5 scoring chances that he had in his last 20 games...

He made a big improvement again this season defensively and on the face off circle but I want better production from him no matter with who he plays.

20 points in not enough. I always said that I see him in front of Suzuki down the road but I want better production from him next season and especially the year after at 22 years old
Ah yes, I remember AK27 and AK46 and how he emphasized them.

I see him making good plays, but he relies too much on teammates to finish. Anderson isnt playing well either and its a big reason why KK isnt on the scoreboard.

I did like his play overall the last two nighs on the forecheck and he took good shots on the PP, but defensively its not working, its clear hes not a winger and hes much better at C.

Offensively when at wing all he does is go to the net and stand there waiting for Danault or Anderson to do something. I dont like that either.

As for production, hell need playing time, and hell need linemates. Nobody in the NHL produces 40 points+ playing 14 minutes with plugs. They need to set him up for success, its clear hes not the type to do better through adversity, its been tried for three years now, they need to move away from the prove it while being in the shitter mentality.

Kotkaniemi is like the woman that used to be obese and doesnt have any confidence in her despite being beautiful. He needs to be told hes beautiful.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Yep CC and Evans have done that. I'm not worried about KK but seems like the excuses for KK are always about how he's being used, his lineamtes, his minutes, etc... At one point, you have to force the coach's hand. He's letting easy plays go right by him, even today on the Matthews tip, it took him a country minute to get to his point. Coaches will kill you for that

Still think he will have a monster playoffs, I feel it. He was getting his shots off today, hopefully with teams cheating on CC in the PP, opens up for a KK bomb
Everyone points to last year's "playoffs" as proof of KK's offensive game. I have my doubts but if you guys are right then you're asking the wrong things from KK. He scored 4 playoff goals last year. Only one of them was a shot away from the crease. The other three were all dirty goals where KK had to dig, muck and scrap. If I were DD I would do two things. First, on the PP I would place him in front of the net. And second, on his regular shifts, I would have him break the perimeter and play in the opposing netminder's space. His fans expect him to score finesse goals. He doesn't have the skills to score those goals but he has the attributes to muck it up in front of the opposing net. I can see him scoring 25-30 goals that way and I would have Perry mentor him.

In other words have him play Tkachuk's game.

Last edited:
Reactions: canucklover123

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
For sure it's easy for us to sit here and complain about the guy... Like I said a few weeks ago, I just don't see it happening for him going forward. I do not see him developing into a top player. Tkachuk was the pick to make, but easy for us to say now.

I wouldn't be surprised if he is moved in a big trade package and go after a true top 6 centerman
There seem to be more and more fans feeling that way.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
He played a great game though? Is every game just blindly hate on KK now? Lmao
Your subconscious trying to tell you something. You're not sure if he played a great game. You have to ask.

Also, I can reverse the tables and ask you, "is every game just a blind love fest for you"? KK 's game last night was just slightly better than Romanov's.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Ah yes, I remember AK27 and AK46 and how he emphasized them.

I see him making good plays, but he relies too much on teammates to finish. Anderson isnt playing well either and its a big reason why KK isnt on the scoreboard.

I did like his play overall the last two nighs on the forecheck and he took good shots on the PP, but defensively its not working, its clear hes not a winger and hes much better at C.

Offensively when at wing all he does is go to the net and stand there waiting for Danault or Anderson to do something. I dont like that either.

As for production, hell need playing time, and hell need linemates. Nobody in the NHL produces 40 points+ playing 14 minutes with plugs. They need to set him up for success, its clear hes not the type to do better through adversity, its been tried for three years now, they need to move away from the prove it while being in the shitter mentality.

Kotkaniemi is like the woman that used to be obese and doesnt have any confidence in her despite being beautiful. He needs to be told hes beautiful.
Sorry, I don’t see that at all, that’s my biggest issue with his play...he’s rarely creating opportunities let alone consistently creating opportunities.

As I posted yesterday, if it was that obvious that the root cause of his lack of production was his line-mates not finishing off plays, if I as a fan could see that, the trained hockey professionals would see it from a mile away, but sadly that’s not even close to reality of the situation.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Magic numbers are now 4 points with Vancouver and 3 points with Calgary. Any game we get points or the Flames or Nucks fail to get 2 points, the magic numbers go down.

I hope we clinch soon. I'd rather give the players the rest than chase a different first round opponent.
To give players a rest don't we need the injured to return. Right now there's no one to play.

Reactions: Ozmodiar

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Sorry, I don’t see that at all, that’s my biggest issue with his play...he’s rarely creating opportunities let alone consistently creating opportunities.

As I posted yesterday, if it was that obvious that the root cause of his lack of production was his line-mates not finishing off plays, if I as a fan could see that, the trained hockey professionals would see it from a mile away, but sadly that’s not even close to reality of the situation.
Bingo!!!!!!!!!!! I can't like this post enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->