Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi Part 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
And JKO'S numbers have improved over last year... You can cherry pick all you want, doesn't add any validity to your argument but instead further undermines it
What a disingenuous post. Comparing to last year where he was beyond putrid. Compare him to his first year and you see there are has been no improvement in his numbers.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
What a disingenuous post. Comparing to last year where he was beyond putrid. Compare him to his first year and you see there are has been no improvement in his numbers.
The one thing he’s actually gotten better at has been in the face off circle. Bodes well for him being a long term centerman. The question really just is he a bottom 6 guy, or a top 6 guy?

Reactions: Ozmodiar

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008

FO % yes. He’s right on pace for his rookie pt total.

Last edited:

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
28 pts his last 83 regular season games. Sorry. Where’s the improvement? He’s on pace for his rookie year stats

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
One thing I'd like to see him improve, asap/tonight, is getting the puck behind the opposing D-men. He's been losing possession way too frequently inside the offensive zone between the circles and blue line. I've heard various reasons for this - long stick, bad ice, nerves - but the cause doesn't matter when the solution is simple.

Reactions: angusyoung and Wats

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
One thing I'd like to see him improve, asap/tonight, is getting the puck behind the opposing D-men. He's been losing possession way too frequently inside the offensive zone between the circles and blue line. I've heard various reasons for this - long stick, bad ice, nerves - but the cause doesn't matter when the solution is simple.

This team's board battles has been pretty weak. Perry and Armia are probably the only two right now who come out with the puck majority of the time. Don't know if there's an actual stat that tracks it, but I feel like Suzuki too surprisingly good at coming away with the puck in board battles.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Hes the only player that can carry it inside, why do you want him to dump it too ?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
If you honestly watch KK this year and don't see improvement then I don't know what to say. The skating, the strength, balance, as he's no longer the player that falls down all the time. The points have dried up, the Habs are playing 17 games in 30 days, the entire team looks gassed, they have scored 32 goals in 15 games, that's beyond brutal. Crapping on the youngest player on the team is a joke.

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
This team's board battles has been pretty weak. Perry and Armia are probably the only two right now who come out with the puck majority of the time. Don't know if there's an actual stat that tracks it, but I feel like Suzuki too surprisingly good at coming away with the puck in board battles.
Armia for sure. Perry is a big tough SOB. There are others who aren't bad... Lehky, Danault, KK is getting better, Anderson... but that's about it.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
You're kind of missing my point. Suzuki has stagnated too. He' hasn't really progressed.

Its not a Kotkaniemi issue, its not a Suzuki issue, its a Montreal Canadiens issue. Everyone's offense is down except for Gallagher (who creates most of his scoring chances on his own anyways), Anderson and Toffoli (both of whom are mostly just scoring an are on career high shooting benders).

Look at Ducharme and Bergevin.
Here we go. blame everyone for some young kids that are finding their game in the NHL.

Progress is not linear. I think both are fine. It's mostly expectations of fans that need to be tempered.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Here we go. blame everyone for some young kids that are finding their game in the NHL.

Progress is not linear. I think both are fine. It's mostly expectations of fans that need to be tempered.

Huh?

I'm not exactly blaming anyone except maybe Bergevin, I'm pointing out that you need to look at what KK and Suzuki are doing within the context of what the team is doing.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Hes the only player that can carry it inside, why do you want him to dump it too ?
find a shooting or passing lane and be decisive. if it's not there, get it deep.
cut down on the hesitation/indecision. he's loosing the handle too frequently.

Reactions: angusyoung

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
find a shooting or passing lane and be decisive. if it's not there, get it deep.
cut down on the hesitation/indecision. he's loosing the handle too frequently.
I can agree with this, but Id say thats on wingers more than his play. His strengths is drawing defenders and then moving the puck to open ice. He can't do this because there is no speed on his wings.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

right... so you cherry pick how you compare a young player's progression year over year to suit your argument. Got it.

also, since you seem to have no understanding or experience with athlete development, you might be interested to know that it is quite normal and consistent for athletes to have uneven progression as they transition to professional level.

Further, you might also find it interesting to know that point production as a single indicator is a rather limited and narrow reference point in evaluating a player's performance and impact... seeing as how heavily influenced it is by so many external factors.

Finally, since iirc, you are a poster who has spoken to the preference for Tkachuk with that draft pick, from your own very limited point of reference in evaluating a player's progression, you might want to check his "improvement in numbers" since year 1.... might change your tune.

:teach:

at some point, making sure to compare apples to apples in ones own assessment of players would be a useful practice... talk about being disingenuous in posting :lol:

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
If you honestly watch KK this year and don't see improvement then I don't know what to say. The skating, the strength, balance, as he's no longer the player that falls down all the time. The points have dried up, the Habs are playing 17 games in 30 days, the entire team looks gassed, they have scored 32 goals in 15 games, that's beyond brutal. Crapping on the youngest player on the team is a joke.

indeed...

begs the question of whether it's willful/intentional hypocrisy, or just an honest lack of competency that drives those kinds of posts/assessments.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
I can agree with this, but Id say thats on wingers more than his play. His strengths is drawing defenders and then moving the puck to open ice. He can't do this because there is no speed on his wings.
he's been playing with Byron, Anderson, Lehkonen ... they're all good skaters.

in any event, let's say the winger isn't there, or is too slow ... that's part of his read, his progression. Like a quarterback - the X is covered, Y is covered, check down! The internal clock has to speed up a bit.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
The following post shows that KK has had at least one scorer as a linemate for all his games but 11. That's 36 and we're not counting his PP minutes. And yes I counted Drouin as a non-scorer. What will be the next excuse that he needs two scorers?
You don’t think 12 sets of wingers for a 20 year old in less than 50 GP is a problem? Now what are his point totals with each pairing to see where he’s had success and where he hasn’t.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
You don’t think 12 sets of wingers for a 20 year old in less than 50 GP is a problem? Now what are his point totals with each pairing to see where he’s had success and where he hasn’t.
If it's problem for KK then it's a problem for Suzuki. I don't hear anyone whining about Suzuki's linemates.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

That's why he's looked his best with Byron and Lekonen. They make space and give KK time by making the opposition have gaps.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
The one thing he’s actually gotten better at has been in the face off circle. Bodes well for him being a long term centerman. The question really just is he a bottom 6 guy, or a top 6 guy?
I thought we were talking about his offensive numbers which kinda answers your question. Doesn't look like he's heading for the top 6 guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad