Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi (Part 14)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
People talk as if it's too late already....making me laugh a whole lot. Send him now to Laval, and watch him being more confident. And come back next year with a whole lot more confidence.

It is possible that he doesn't have in him to be a No1 C. I don't think that he destroyed everything in front of him at any level he played. But he has to have a 2nd line ceiling. And the way you do that if give the kid confidence. No idea why it's so hard to understand, especially from supposed professionnals that are supposed to be always right 'cause you know...they know things...lol

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I have confidence that Bouchard could help this kid and I have the exact opposite view of Julien and his staff being able to develop him.

The pressure Julien has to win takes precedent over bringing Kotkaniemi along the right way.

If you want to salvage this kid you need to take the pressure off of him immediately

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Maybe he can use a shorter stick while he develops into a 4th line C.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Is it now settled that he should have definitely been given an extra year in Finland?

He showed he could handle the NHL last year, so he didn't need an extra year in Finland.

That said it comes down to is whether you are prepared to allow young guys like him to play through the inevitable mistakes/slumps. If you are willing to to keep playing them even when they struggle then there's no problem having them on the team. If on the other hand you are going bench/scratch the guy when he starts struggling, then you shouldn't have brought him up to the NHL.

Koivu11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
MB will probably keep him with the team because of the injuries to Drouin and Byron instead of looking at the bigger picture.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Is it now settled that he should have definitely been given an extra year in Finland?

Remember the outrage directed at Gord Miller? He didn’t even say KK was being ruined, just that he thought it beat for him to be thriving as opposed to surviving.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He showed he could handle the NHL last year, so he didn't need an extra year in Finland.

That said it comes down to is whether you are prepared to allow young guys like him to play through the inevitable mistakes/slumps. If you are willing to to keep playing them even when they struggle then there's no problem having them on the team. If on the other hand you are going bench/scratch the guy when he starts struggling, then you shouldn't have brought him up to the NHL.

KK was drafted to dominate, not handle the NHL.

Reactions: montreal

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010

The goal is to have him follow the development path that'll make him the better player 5 years down the road. Whether he's able to keep up in the NHL at 18 or not isn't relevant in my opinion.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
Good news everyone

Kotkaniemi's xGF% is now 0.6 over Christian Folin, now 2nd to last

MOVING ON UP BOYS

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
KK was drafted to dominate, not handle the NHL.
I said it last year when things were honky dory and I'll repeat it this year that things have hit the fan, KK is not a #1 C - not even on a lottery team. He just doesn't have the tools. If developed properly he's a #2 with his forte being on the defensive side of the game.

Max2

Nov 17, 2013
I just wonder who scouted Kotkaniemi and didn't they realize he is an awful skater with atrocious balance? Never good to draft for possible potential at 3rd overall.His skating can be improved upon but he looks like bambi out there and guy a guy whose legs are trying to catch up to his body.He may be really good in 3 or 4 years but this is a definite longer term project at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->