Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Part 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
It's not my problem if you don't notice things like that.

He obviously has a stronger stride, doesn't look out of balance as much when pivoting or stopping and his initial strides seem to stick to the ice more, which is what I meant with "shredding ice". These are all weaknesses that I've personally pointed out in the past about his skating and it seems to have improved from that clip alone. Yes I made the assesment based on a 15 second clip, but it's because I noticed. And it's no coincidence that the coach did too. It's not "bias", it's normal that a 20 year old player improves within a few months and that knowledgeable hockey people notice those things.

You're assuming bias on my part as if you had an opposing agenda. So maybe you're the biased one here.

There's really not much to see in that very short clip. But Coach saw him for an entire practice and he isn't one to gratuitously praise youngsters' skating so it's encouraging that he saw improvement.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
It's not my problem if you don't notice things like that.

He obviously has a stronger stride, doesn't look out of balance as much when pivoting or stopping and his initial strides seem to stick to the ice more, which is what I meant with "shredding ice". These are all weaknesses that I've personally pointed out in the past about his skating and it seems to have improved from that clip alone. Yes I made the assesment based on a 15 second clip, but it's because I noticed. And it's no coincidence that the coach did too. It's not "bias", it's normal that a 20 year old player improves within a few months and that knowledgeable hockey people notice those things.

You're assuming bias on my part as if you had an opposing agenda. So maybe you're the biased one here.

You have to be kidding, there is nothing in that clip that highlights improved skating. He still looks as awkward as ever......just by the terminology that you used it is apparent that you are far from an authority on skating mechanics.

Reactions: Ozmodiar and Eegs

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
There's really not much to see in that very short clip. But Coach saw him for an entire practice and he isn't one to gratuitously praise youngsters' skating so it's encouraging that he saw improvement.

I agree there isn't that much to see from that video, but I do notice he seems stronger on his skates and his turns are smoother. I'm not surprised Julien went out of his way to praise his skating.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You have to be kidding, there is nothing in that clip that highlights improved skating. He still looks as awkward as ever......just by the terminology that you used it is apparent that you are far from an authority on skating mechanics.

You choose to see what you are looking for. Same as others. Julien has said though that he looks much better than last year. I actually think physical and mental fatigue was an issue. Is he use to this kind of games played and pressure/expectations in a season? Playing him in his age 18 season where he didn't get a chance to dominate the Liiga league was not so smart. We did that too cause we lacked depth at center.

Kotkaniemi will be fine. Biggest question is 1C, 2C, or 3C. I'm sure he will improve and get more stronger. I think he needs work in his mid section to maintain better balance while he skates and gets contact. Vision, Shot, Skill, and hockey IQ is clearly there

Last edited:

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
I agree there isn't that much to see from that video, but I do notice he seems stronger on his skates and his turns are smoother. I'm not surprised Julien went out of his way to praise his skating.

Still not sure how you get that out of that video. He's in low gear throughout and his turns are actually wide largely because of the nature of the drill. Julien would have come to his conclusions after seeing KK in higher tempo situations/drills where he could observe his stride, posture and edge work at higher speed. In any event, it's terrific news that Julien's impressed by KK's skating improvements.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
You have to be kidding, there is nothing in that clip that highlights improved skating. He still looks as awkward as ever.

I wouldn't say he looks awkward. He looks like a pro hockey player doing a flow drill. The video doesn't tell me anything. Julien saw the entire practice and I'll take his word for it that KK has shown skating improvements.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Kotkaniemi vs Hughes vs Zadina vs Tkachuk.... our fan base is like...

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I think he's going to be exactly what we thought he would be after his 1st NHL season. Some Habs fans just can't handle the ups and downs. Suzuki might go through the same thing.

Too bad they were not both 22/23 today.

Suzuki could already skate when he played in the NHL and was not falling down all the time,don't think that will suddenly afflict him now.

Reactions: Ozmodiar

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Suzuki could already skate when he played in the NHL and was not falling down all the time,don't think that will suddenly afflict him now.

I think he has a better body to fill into quicker vs the taller and lanky Kotkaniemi. I think Kotkaniemi can learn something from Suzuki in terms of being hungry to improve and he probably already has. Peer pressure is a good thing for development

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I think he has a better body to fill into quicker vs the taller and lanky Kotkaniemi. I think Kotkaniemi can learn something from Suzuki in terms of being hungry to improve and he probably already has. Peer pressure is a good thing for development

Suzuki is listed at 5'11 and 202? so not much more growth for him where as KK is a rake and will grow a bit more and add lbs along the way. I have no way of knowing his mindset but I hope he does not feel entitled as too many young players today seem to have. If anything history has shown is hockey players are here today and gone tomorrow if you don't perform regardless of pedigree and past performance.

RE: Alzner

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Suzuki is listed at 5'11 and 202? so not much more growth for him where as KK is a rake and will grow a bit more and add lbs along the way. I have no way of knowing his mindset but I hope he does not feel entitled as too many young players today seem to have. If anything history has shown is hockey players are here today and gone tomorrow if you don't perform regardless of pedigree and past performance.

RE: Alzner

Kotkaniemi didn't get uninspired like Poehling did when he was demoted to the AHL. Kotkaniemi actually produced at the AHL level. He's a good kid

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That's what I heard as well, a player should know if they belong or not and it is rather obvious.

I just think Poehling set high expectations and came down crashing hard. I think he has a lot to prove and it's on him to work hard at it. He was certainly humbled this past year. Kotkaniemi did seem to get affected by the extra pressure/expectations/ and media attention this past year but he didn't let that affect him it appears.

I'm sure time off helped Kotkaniemie reset.

Reactions: angusyoung

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005

I wouldn't say he looks awkward. He looks like a pro hockey player doing a flow drill. The video doesn't tell me anything. Julien saw the entire practice and I'll take his word for it that KK has shown skating improvements.

I've been a powerskating instructor for over 25 years. Here's what I see from that small clip - improved hockey posture. You should be able to draw a straight line down from the shoulders, to knees, to toes when you're skating forwards. When skating backwards your shoulders should line up with your heels. I can spot correct or incorrect hockey posture almost immediately and that clip is more than enough to show me that.

I've been saying for a while that Jesperi needs a powerskating instructor to help correct his poor posture. Likely due to surgeries and growth spurts, he always appeared lanky and unbalanced on the ice. He fell down a lot and didn't always have the quickness (this is always going to be difficult for him given how long his legs are). His posture was leaning forward way too much, so that his knees were far over his toes, his shoulders were as well. Not only does this upset your balance, it also hinders your ability to turn, stop, and go quickly. It limits your stride length (which we can't really see on that clip).

To understand how poor posture can affect your stride you can try this out at home - stand with your feet shoulder width apart, then keeping your left leg where it is, reach out to the side with your right leg and see how far you can stretch. Now try the same exercise but start (and stay) in proper posture, with your knees bent so they line up over your toes. You should be able to reach almost twice as far with a good knee bend. So having a good knee bend will help you lengthen your stride, making you a more efficient, powerful skater.

But what about Jesperi? He has a good knee bend...even more than over toes. Well, try it. Stand up and, like Jesperi, bend your knees until they are way past your toes. Bring your shoulders forward too. If you can stand up in the position, congrats (how are you doing this? are you in microgravity??). Most people can't do it, and at the very least you can see how taxing and unbalanced this posture is.

However, on the ice, you won't fall down, you're more likely to just glide forward like a downhill skier, because when you rock forward on the ice, your blades glide. But being on your toes means you're off balance and if you need to stop, turn or take a few quick strides it can be very difficult. It can be done without falling but it's not easy. Certainly you're not going to have the power, control, balance, etc you would have if you have proper hockey posture.

Getting into this posture is tough for a lot of people. Again, try standing and walking around with your knees over your toes and your shoulders over your knees. Easy for a few seconds, but try 45-60. For a lot of guys, including big guys, this is tough. Your legs burn. But that's because they are flexed and ready to load. Starting in this position means you're always ready - to be hit, to turn and go, to fight for a puck, to take off. And after you get used to it and build up your leg strength, it becomes easy and automatic and allows a skater to become far more efficient.

I can see Jesperi in much better posture now, but I see him struggling to stay in that posture. It's probably because he's new to it and either he's forgetting or he's feeling that burn. But the fact that he's made this adjustment is a big thing to me. I hope he continues to work on it because skating is so important to the game. As a big guy, he's going to need to work on becoming an efficient skater, not necessarily a burner. And he's doing it, so that's great!

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017

does anyone believe the pivot at the very beginning of that clip is smooth?

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad