Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Part 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Given the Covid-19 outbreak, Kotkaniemi might be better off playing next season in Finland. There's a lot of variables so it's hard to be sure, but it might be the most sensible choice. That would be quite the reversal from expectations lol.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Given the Covid-19 outbreak, Kotkaniemi might be better off playing next season in Finland. There's a lot of variables so it's hard to be sure, but it might be the most sensible choice. That would be quite the reversal from expectations lol.

Very possible.

But that's a question we can ask for every player. Kind of like during the 2012 lockout. Players went to play in Europe and returned once the NHL started again. So I can see certain players go that route. Especially those that haven't played in a long time.

I also think that they will wait and see what the decision will be with the AHL. Will they start on time or possibly delayed just weeks or a month only, effectively starting November? I would expect the kids will be sent there to play (Kotkaniemi, Romanov, maybe Suzuki (?)).

Reactions: DAChampion

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Uh, what? No. Why?

Because the rate of death due to coronavirus there is currently six times lower than in North America, and they're more likely to keep it under control.

There's thus a possibility that more games will be played in the FEL, perhaps a lot more games. The AHL might not even play at all next year.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Definitely looks bigger. If Romanov is a no go, I’ll be most paying attention to KK during the play-in. Him becoming a true 1C is the most important thing for this franchise right now (other than winning the first pick).
That is definitely the most important thing to happen to this franchise in a very long time. KK is a project, it's going to take some seasoning before he is a solid contributor to this team.

Supersonic

May 27, 2013
Ontario
That is definitely the most important thing to happen to this franchise in a very long time. KK is a project, it's going to take some seasoning before he is a solid contributor to this team.

Why not have KK slowly become a #1 and he gets Laffy on his LW :thumbu:

Best case scenario IMO is if Romanov plays, that him, Suzuki and KK all play well and we still lose.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Why not have KK slowly become a #1 and he gets Laffy on his LW :thumbu:

Best case scenario IMO is if Romanov plays, that him, Suzuki and KK all play well and we still lose.
If we get Lafreniere and we do the right thing we will have him centered by Suzuki who seems to be a more advanced player than KK right now. We could still use Danault/Gallagher/Tatar as our first line to give the kids more favorable matchups on line 2. KK is third line duty for me and there is also Domi but I suspect that he could be the odd man out.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Its already confirmed Romanov has no chance of playing.
The only hope now is that they allow him to participate in training camp.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Definitely looks buffer
Why does Montreal always draft high in poor draft years!?

this guy is going to be lucky to hit 60 points consecutively. For the 2nd 3rd overall pick in a row we can even find a ticking PPG player or shutdown Defenceman..

that’s on this management.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
If we get Lafreniere and we do the right thing we will have him centered by Suzuki who seems to be a more advanced player than KK right now. We could still use Danault/Gallagher/Tatar as our first line to give the kids more favorable matchups on line 2. KK is third line duty for me and there is also Domi but I suspect that he could be the odd man out.
Suzuki also player 3 full years of junior plus playoffs, plus rookie camps, etc etc.. kotka, a year younger literally just came out of diapers when Suzuki was hitting his stride.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Definitely looks bigger. If Romanov is a no go, I’ll be most paying attention to KK during the play-in. Him becoming a true 1C is the most important thing for this franchise right now (other than winning the first pick).

I would love to see him become a 1C, but as long as he is a 2C, we should be fine seeing as I truly think Suzuki is on his way to being a 1C.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I’m with you on Suzuki. Those two are gonna be our 1-2 punch down the middle in a few years- but would definitely be nice if they could be a 1A-1B instead.

Definitely, with Suzuki's progression though it definitely takes some of the importance off Kotkaniemi needing to be a 1C for us. Need him to be 2C good and anything above that is gravy.

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA

In the near future...
Domi-Danault-Gallagher
Lafreniere-Suzuki-Drouin
Lehkonen-KK-Armia
Byron-Poehling-Ylonen

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Agreed. We drafted him as a long term prospect and it remains that way. Needs to stay hungry and keep working hard while he matures and gains experience. I actually hope he don't bust out next year so we can bridge him on a cheap contract for 2 or 3 years then he bust out in that span.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I’m with you on Suzuki. Those two are gonna be our 1-2 punch down the middle in a few years- but would definitely be nice if they could be a 1A-1B instead.

Probably going to be three 2A's but each of them play different roles. Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Danault. I really do like the strategy of rolling three 2nd line qualities. Great for match-ups and I think the salary is balanced out with our cap space.

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad