Player Discussion Jesperi Kotkaniemi - (On Loan to Liiga)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
KK will never be a dynamic player....that’s not what he was drafted for anyway. I suspect he’ll be one of those under the radar solid types who at the end of the season will have people going “oh yeah another 30G 70+ point season”.
Dude he showed every singn of being a future dynamic centre at the playoffs idk what you are smoking on

Last edited:

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Dude he showed every sing of being a future dynamic centre at the playoffs idk what you are smoking on
Not sure why there’s a reason to get so worked up over semantics? Patrick Bergeron is not a WOW player but he’s a smart & steady guaranteed future HOFer. What’s wrong with that type of player? Not saying KK is a future HOFer but he’s going to be steady game in game out

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Not sure why there’s a reason to get so worked up over semantics? Patrick Bergeron is not a WOW player but he’s a smart & steady guaranteed future HOFer. What’s wrong with that type of player? Not saying KK is a future HOFer but he’s going to be steady game in game out
Yeah, the replies were a bit salty considering you were projecting 70 point seasons. lol

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Kotkaniemi doesn't play a blue collar type game though, like Bergeron or ROR. He plays a game thats closer to Getzlaf. Thats a dynamic player to me.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Noobs never understand the difference between style of play and potential ceiling.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
KK will never be a dynamic player....that’s not what he was drafted for anyway. I suspect he’ll be one of those under the radar solid types who at the end of the season will have people going “oh yeah another 30G 70+ point season”.

He was never a WOW player and will never be...that doesn’t make it bad by any means. Bobby Smith has no WOW to his game and was an outstanding 1C...that’s who KKs game will look like IMO.

I don't see how anyone can really know what he'll be as we saw him at 18 in a very sheltered role, we saw him at 19 struggle badly though injuries likely impacted him to some degree and then we saw him at the covid invitational and he clearly looked the best he's been to date in the NHL. Now we need to see how much he can continue to progress, it's very difficult imo to project as it comes down to how much can he continue to improve on his skating, how big/strong will he get. When will he get comfortable enough to start shooting consistently.

That said he clearly is a highly skilled kid, if he had 1 more pt in Liiga then only 4 U-18 players in Liiga's history would have put up more points then him. (Barkov, Kappo, Laine, Grandlund)

Last edited:

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Kotkaniemi doesn't play a blue collar type game though, like Bergeron or ROR. He plays a game thats closer to Getzlaf. Thats a dynamic player to me.
Even better comparison due to physicality - thx. Would never classify Getzlaf as a WOW player - doesn’t play the game with splash or pizzazz. Plays a steady Eddie game w thump

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Even better comparison due to physicality - thx. Would never classify Getzlaf as a WOW player - doesn’t play the game with splash or pizzazz. Plays a steady Eddie game w thump

I guess the wow player definition is more of a semantic thing then, because Getzlaf wow'd me more often than not in his career, in many ways.

I guess your definition of wow is more along the lines of McDavid and Mackinnon, fast players with lots of dangles.

JimboJay

Oct 9, 2018
Until Kotkaniemi gets a scoring winger, we'll never know what his ceiling will be. He's not crosby, he wont make Armia into a 30-40g scorer. But give him a 25-35 goal scorer & watch him turn that guy into a 40g player.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Until Kotkaniemi gets a scoring winger, we'll never know what his ceiling will be. He's not crosby, he wont make Armia into a 30-40g scorer. But give him a 25-35 goal scorer & watch him turn that guy into a 40g player.
Cole Caufield is the boy wonder. Hes perfect for that role.

Plug in a big body that can help KK move things around, cycle and dig pucks and boom.

Imagine one of the Tkachuks at lw... Jeeeeez.

I havent scouted Bertuzzi much since he got drafted but he seems like a possible player that could fit in there ? Poehling too if he ever got his head out of his ass.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016

Plug in a big body that can help KK move things around, cycle and dig pucks and boom.

I havent scouted Bertuzzi much since he got drafted but he seems like a possible player that could fit in there ? Poehling too if he ever got his head out of his ass.

2 words: Dylan Holloway

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I thought I was the only one who saw Getzlaf as the ceiling for KK. It's more of a style of play I guess. As we saw in the playoffs a slightly stronger more balanced KK was so much more effective. He will never be fast or quick so he needs to be strong. Still needs to get stronger and he will. He's naturally a gangly teenager. That will correct itself as he becomes more of a man. But that wrist shot and hockey I.Q. is something that really stood out. I'd rather have a solid two way center then some one dimensional guy for our first or second line center.

Reactions: cphabs

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Bertuzzi is definitely someone I would love for the Habs to acquire. He's got skill but also plays with that edge. A heart and soul kind of player. And if he was on KK's wing, that would definitely afford KK more room to display his skills. And it could also give Kotkaniemi courage to be even more physical.

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
Just came on HFBOARDS this morning to tell you all the KK IS A f***ING MONSTER DID YOU SEE THIS KID DOMINATE MALKIN AND THROWING HITS AFTER HIT WHAT A f***ING BEAST!

Add some speed again and give him a Hothead on his line and teams will hate playing against his line. No wonder Pittsburgh soft defense got exposed everytime he was throwing hits on the ice the kid is heavy and knows how to throw them. Must be exausting

ChikN

Sep 1, 2010
Montréal
Just came on HFBOARDS this morning to tell you all the KK IS A f***ING MONSTER DID YOU SEE THIS KID DOMINATE MALKIN AND THROWING HITS AFTER HIT WHAT A f***ING BEAST!

Add some speed again and give him a Hothead on his line and teams will hate playing against his line. No wonder Pittsburgh soft defense got exposed everytime he was throwing hits on the ice the kid is heavy and knows how to throw them. Must be exausting

B-b-but Tkachuk, bbbb-ut bambi, bbb-b-ut lacks physical strength, bbutt project. REEEEEEEEE

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
I thought I was the only one who saw Getzlaf as the ceiling for KK. It's more of a style of play I guess. As we saw in the playoffs a slightly stronger more balanced KK was so much more effective. He will never be fast or quick so he needs to be strong. Still needs to get stronger and he will. He's naturally a gangly teenager. That will correct itself as he becomes more of a man. But that wrist shot and hockey I.Q. is something that really stood out. I'd rather have a solid two way center then some one dimensional guy for our first or second line center.

Having prime Getzlaf 2.0 on this team for a few years years would be nothing short of transformational. Let's give KK a couple more years development time yet though, eh :)

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Having prime Getzlaf 2.0 on this team for a few years years would be nothing short of transformational. Let's give KK a couple more years development time yet though, eh :)
Imagine if KK can be Getzlaf minus the 95 points season, lets say similar impact, but with 10-15 less points.

Then Suzuki has similar impacts to prime Krejci or something ?

Just like that, thats probably the best center duo in the atlantic, lmao.

Probably wishful thinking though, Getzlaf was a hell of a player.

Reactions: azcanuck

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Imagine if KK can be Getzlaf minus the 95 points season, lets say similar impact, but with 10-15 less points.

Then Suzuki has similar impacts to prime Krejci or something ?

Just like that, thats probably the best center duo in the atlantic, lmao.

Probably wishful thinking though, Getzlaf was a hell of a player.

Getzlaf also had Niedermeyer, Pronger, Selanne, and Perry at various points in his career.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Hopefully we have one of those Kotkaniemi's Those were best in their prime.

Hope he develops his own play style and continues to develop at a reasonable rate. If he can be a 70 points center at 22-23 I will be more than happy enough with this player. A lot of his 'numbers' will also be determined by where he is played in the lineup. If we don't trade Danault I fully expect him playing with 3rd liners with less than stellar passing and hands.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Getzlaf also had Niedermeyer, Pronger, Selanne, and Perry at various points in his career.
Andy McDonald. Beauchemin logging 30 minutes a night.

Getzlaf's only Cup had HoFers and lots of "pretty good" players. Moen-Pahlsson-R. Nidermayer was a great depth line.

With Randy Carlyle as coach, they needed all that depth, otherwise, you'd see goons in the D corps and bottom lines everywhere.

Reactions: DAChampion
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad