Player Discussion Jesper Fast: Part II

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
Kind of random but an interesting note on Jesper... I'm not really sure what it means, but it says something about the kid that he was on the ice for Hags' OT goal in game 5 vs Pit, McD's OT goal vs Wash in game 5, and Stepan's OT winner in game 7.

Not sure if anybody noticed that.

I mean, not only was he on the ice for the latter two, but he was a critical component of them. The steal in the neutral zone on the McD goal and getting in to help on the faceoff on the Girardi goal.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Kind of random but an interesting note on Jesper... I'm not really sure what it means, but it says something about the kid that he was on the ice for Hags' OT goal in game 5 vs Pit, McD's OT goal vs Wash in game 5, and Stepan's OT winner in game 7.

Not sure if anybody noticed that.

Yeah, definitely not a coincidence. The kid is smart, and mostly makes unnoticeable smart plays. Those 2 were VERY noticable.

Not too much posting here since season is over. But, now that Hags is a thing of the past, surely Fast is going to have a top 6 chance and at the very least a solid 3rd line player. He's one of the reasons why we were successful in the PO's. Disappointed in Hayes performance. Didn't even look like he played.

mti79

May 11, 2007
Yeah, Fast has shown that he thinks the game extremely well and sees plays before they develop. The intercept on Glencross was great and he had the mindset to not just dump the puck in deep but to look for the offensive play. Pass to Stepan, leave it on a tee for McD and boom, Game 6 here we come.

On the Stepan goal, he knew nobody else was going to help Stepan on the draw since it was a set play and everybody else had a place to. Pokes it from the dot to the wall for Yandle, pass to G, blast, rebound, Stepan, Goal! On to Tampa.

He should get a chance to play with Stepan/Kreider to begin with because that line looked fantastic. At the very least, he'll be a solid 3rd liner. He has shown he can score at other levels and I think this year, with a little more experience under his belt it'll come. 15 goals is not out of the question.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Yeah, definitely not a coincidence. The kid is smart, and mostly makes unnoticeable smart plays. Those 2 were VERY noticable.

Not too much posting here since season is over. But, now that Hags is a thing of the past, surely Fast is going to have a top 6 chance and at the very least a solid 3rd line player. He's one of the reasons why we were successful in the PO's. Disappointed in Hayes performance. Didn't even look like he played.

Hayes was either hurt or a nervous wreck.

In next year's playoffs I expect him to be a major contributor.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
cant seem to find any newer threads on him. but to me he's been a completely and utter disappointment thus far this year.

averaging 15 mins a game and has 3G 4A

Hayes has double the points and is playing fewer minutes than him.

I don't get it. To me Jesper needs to be on the 4th line.

the problem is we've got 4 guys who clearly are 4th liners...Fasth, Stoll, Moore and Stalberg.

Stalberg has been just as disappointing if not more.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
he's not a top 6 player. he's barely a top 9 player.

when Etem and Stepan are back he should be stapled to the 4th line.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
cant seem to find any newer threads on him. but to me he's been a completely and utter disappointment thus far this year.

the problem is we've got 4 guys who clearly are 4th liners...Fasth, Stoll, Moore and Stalberg.

Hayes is also way more of an offensive talent than him. I don't think that's really weird or unexpected.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
he's not a top 6 player. he's barely a top 9 player.
when Etem and Stepan are back he should be stapled to the 4th line.

i try to understand the logic at these boards, but it escapes me

players are ridiculed and disparaged when they make mistakes, ok,
stat geeks want to diminish the importance of 'traditional' stats, ok

but here's a player who makes very few mistakes,
does so many of the little things that make a difference in all zones,
but he is disparaged for too few points
he's not bringing his line-mates down, they're under-performing

it was not a coincidence that last spring he was on ice for more of our OT playoff goals than any other F, making simple, essential plays which led to goals

this kid is this era's Jan Erixon

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
It's also his sophomore season. It's to be expected. Should be a really good 3rd liner, or an okay 2nd liner who can add some two-way ability to a line.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY

Lets not leave Moore out of it either. I know everyone loves him, but he's done as an NHL player. His defense has been average this season and his offense completely dried up.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
He's not only better than Etem today, he also has more potential.

Etem is a former 1st rounder with much more offensive upside. I don't see him ever 'putting it together' and becoming what he was drafted to be though.

But I guess what you mean is Fast's ceiling is lower than Etem's and that lower ceiling is more realizable than Etem's is. His game is pretty simple.

Would be nice if Fast could be a solid 15-15 3rd line guy.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Etem is a former 1st rounder with much more offensive upside. I don't see him ever 'putting it together' and becoming what he was drafted to be though.

But I guess what you mean is Fast's ceiling is lower than Etem's and that lower ceiling is more realizable than Etem's is. His game is pretty simple.

Agree with the BOLD. Not enough grey matter.

Regarding the underlined, I think Fast can get there with Hayes given more time...if Hayes can stick around as a Line 3 Center. Not so sure he can get there with Lindberg as Line 3 Center, though I love Lindberg.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
My issue with Fast in the top 6, and even in the top 9 is his lack of scoring, shooting, and generally being in a position to score and generate offense. You can't score if you don't shoot. Good board play isn't enough to keep you playing on the 2nd or 3rd line. He can fill in for an injury here and there, but his play fades fast once he's up there. I think he still needs to be challenged by the staff to stay consistent, if he's playing good bump him up, if he's vanilla again play him lower in the line up.

He's a solid player who should be playing every game, just not in your top 6.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA

it was not a coincidence that last spring he was on ice for more of our OT playoff goals than any other F, making simple, essential plays which led to goals

he plays a safe game. agreed.

thats fine for your 4th line. he brings almost nothing offensively. he doesnt set his linemates up often. he doesnt really do much of anything.

safe...sure

plays hard? sure

creative? not really

gifted offensively? not really

those kinds of guys play on your 4th line.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY

I also don't think he looks anywhere near what he looked like in the playoffs last spring. He took his game to another level. The Jesper Fast as of right now is more reminiscent of the player he looked like his first few call ups. Safe game and not doing much offensively. The one in the spring was winning every single board battle it seemed and making differences in the offensive zone.

It's also only his 2nd full season so like Hayes, I think he deserves to be cut some slack.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

Fast has a pretty good scoring clip in the SEL (top scorer on his team at age 20) and tops in GPG with Hartford at age 21. I think he has good offensive instincts, just hasn't found his scoring touch yet. From what I saw last year, I think he can still be a good 2-way 2nd line player.

inxs

Jun 13, 2011
Alain Vigneault seems to be happy with Fast. His icetime increase and should have his best season. New second line right winger ?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Vanilla doesn't really do much in the offensive zone, and he's not as good of a penalty killer as Hagelin. I really don't think he's more than a 4th liner. Maybe they are using him on the first line now because he's young, he scored points in the SEL and AHL, but Fast really has not shown himself to be much of an offensive player in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad