Player Discussion Jesper Fast: Part II

lilphildub

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2009
Fast is a better player than Hagelin. A better all around player. The Rangers should put Fast on the PP. Maybe they do not want to give him too much many minutes. He plays on the PK. Stepan and Nash play in both special teams situations. Nash plays on the 2nd PP unit. Stepan does everything. 1st unit PP. 1st/2nd unit PK. The Rangers can use his right handed shot on the PP.

I'm sorry but half a season doesn't make Fast a better player than Hagelin. And even based on THIS season, I'd say Hagelin is the better "all around" player.

HoosierDaddy

Jun 29, 2007
Norway
Just based on his positioning alone, I would argue that Fast is already a better defensive player than Callahan. He doesn't have the name or the reputation, and he doesn't block 7 shots per game, but that doesn't take away from how smart he is, and how great he is along the boards.

Reminds me of Ulf Dahlen (who I think coached him with HV71 in the Swedish Elite League) in his tenacious board work.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I love Fast but Hagelin is criminally under rated by Rangers fans. He is so important to this team. I don't get the hate he gets, well maybe not hate, but general dislike. I simply do not understand that.

Fast and Hagelin are 2 vastly different types of players.

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
Keep the rookie reports coming Ola....even the pro scouts get it wrong sometimes . There has been a few first round busts over the years and not just Rangers...oldtimers like myself that have followed this club for over 40 years appreciate the advanced reports and analysis on some of these kids from overseas . :handclap:

donpaulo

Capt Barry Beck
May 19, 2003
nihon
www.billcorfield.com
This kid can really play. Good physical as well as think speed.

He can throw as well as take a hit too. If only Anisimov had that ability (sigh)

Not enough cap room going into next season pretty much means he gets a roster spot, at least that is how I see it working out.

I agree with the sentiment that Lindberg gets a long look at pivot next season, and with Fast on one wing it has the making a very effective 3rd line

Last edited:

donpaulo

Capt Barry Beck
May 19, 2003
nihon
www.billcorfield.com
Fast has a long way to go before being compared to Ulfie--who averaged .67/game in almost 1000 NHL games. One thing though, I liked both of them from the getgo!

Dahlen was more of a go into the corners and dig it out then head to the crease, look for deflections kind of player. I think NY asked for more offense from his as well.

Fast is being asked to backcheck and is on the defensive side of the puck more often than Dahlen was.

I agree, both players were/are fun to watch

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
He's stepped up for us all throughout the playoffs. Helped to mitigate the loss of Zuccarello. He's got a long future in the NHL ahead of him. One of our best forwards right now.

Parker

Mar 25, 2007
Binghamton, NY
Gotta love homegrown guys who elevate their game in the playoffs through skill and effort. Hope Fast stays a Ranger for a long time.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Great to see Fast playing this well, but no surprise to those who followed Ola's progress reports out of Sweden. He played 3 seasons there, from age 19-21. That's where he was 'grown', only a half season in Hartford plus 11 games this season. Came to Hartford with some seasoning, same as Lindberg. And oh look, they've been our two best forwards on the farm.

NYR89

Jul 29, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Does the play from Fast in this playoff un open the door for Marty to not be back next year? You've now got a guy who plays well with Stepan and Kreider and contributing more than MSL. Is Fast good enough to play a top 6 role for a full season?

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Does the play from Fast in this playoff un open the door for Marty to not be back next year? You've now got a guy who plays well with Stepan and Kreider and contributing more than MSL. Is Fast good enough to play a top 6 role for a full season?

Marty's terrible play does that more than Fast's good play.

SlingshotVv

arm-bar all the things
Sep 28, 2009
Colonia, NJ
He's going to have to get a shot in the top 6. He has really good instincts, and is tenacious. That can lead to lots of points, if his physical tools can hang in a top 6 role.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
He's going to have to get a shot in the top 6. He has really good instincts, and is tenacious. That can lead to lots of points, if his physical tools can hang in a top 6 role.

It'll be exciting to follow his progression next season - otherwise a very solid 3rd liner for sure.

Last edited:

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I love Fast but Hagelin is criminally under rated by Rangers fans. He is so important to this team. I don't get the hate he gets, well maybe not hate, but general dislike. I simply do not understand that.

Fast and Hagelin are 2 vastly different types of players.

I love Hagelin. Extremely consistent in the playoffs, creates something every time he's on the ice. That said, Fast is turning into a great player also. Reliable defensively, wins board battles, works hard and now he's scoring goals, which those of us who watched him in Hartford (or those who did in Sweden) always said he has the ability to do. They are different players, but the rule is that Swedes must always be compared to Swedes, Blacks to Blacks, Russians to Russians. I don't care if one guy is a goalie and the other guy is a referee, they shall be called similar players.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007

I see no reason why Fast should be demoted to the 4th line while a senile old man continues to trip on the ice.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I love Hagelin. Extremely consistent in the playoffs, creates something every time he's on the ice. That said, Fast is turning into a great player also. Reliable defensively, wins board battles, works hard and now he's scoring goals, which those of us who watched him in Hartford (or those who did in Sweden) always said he has the ability to do. They are different players, but the rule is that Swedes must always be compared to Swedes, Blacks to Blacks, Russians to Russians. I don't care if one guy is a goalie and the other guy is a referee, they shall be called similar players.

Hahah, that's the only parallel between the two, other than they're both homegrown. I love both as players. I would love to see Fast become something special.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->