Value of: Jesper Bratt

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I don't think Bratt is a realistic guy to be traded but I am curious to follow this thread to determine his value.
Well it's my fault for turning this thread into an debate between someone who thinks Bratt is too good and has too much upside to be traded, and someone who thinks Bratt is too good and has too much upside to be treated the way he is so wants him to be traded for his own good. But I bet you can pull some value out of that.

blink

Mar 6, 2002
Ontario
Don't expect much. This board absolutely loved Kase but never cared much for Bratt, despite being a similar player that's better in almost every way. Go figure.

I'm not expecting much. Bratt seems like a guy that we value more than other teams would. I'm just hoping this doesn't turn into "Ryder, Halak, 2nd" type of proposals.

blink

Mar 6, 2002
Ontario
I just don't get the logic here. We are considering trading away a 22 year old player who has had previous success with us because he has been dropped down the lineup and hasn't been seeing PP minutes lately?

To me, this is trading a player when his value is low, not high. If you want to trade anyone at this point outside of vet rentals it's Zacha. Zacha has been NJ whipping boy for years and now he has a 9 game point streak and people think he's changed. Hopefully he has changed but I'm still ok with moving him.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I just don't get the logic here. We are considering trading away a 22 year old player who has had previous success with us because he has been dropped down the lineup and hasn't been seeing PP minutes lately?

To me, this is trading a player when his value is low, not high. If you want to trade anyone at this point outside of vet rentals it's Zacha. Zacha has been NJ whipping boy for years and now he has a 9 game point streak and people think he's changed. Hopefully he has changed but I'm still ok with moving him.
wood would also fit in with zacha.

Reactions: blink

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
This thread didn't age well. Maybe I'm biased watching the Devils play, are there teams out there seeing him with any value?

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
What the hell is going on here?

What is this thought process happening about giving up young players establishing themselves for future scratch offs??? Do we just keep doing this for years until we get lucky enough where a bunch of the picks we trade for all produce superstars the second the step on the ice at the same time??

Just imagine Bratt is still a 6th round pick but is just entering the league this year, you would be thrilled.

Do we sell high on Hughes, Blackwood and Smith as well? I mean, they can start losing value any day now, and we can't have them losing value.
Yeah its the wrong take imo
Find more Bratt's not lessen what you have! Unless he brings you Laine, and he's not, you don't trade a 6th rounder who can play in your top six. Imagine what he'd do with talent around him. Keep our first, move out what you can, pkg picks/prospects (lower level) for some players that can help next yr. Stop the 10 yr build and start playing

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
New Jersey does. He didn't have a training camp and the majority of the team had Covid. He is the most explosive winger on NJ by far.

The fact that he had no training camp was squarely on him (and maybe his agent) but nothing about his game this season suggests that he is New Jersey's most explosive forward - nor that he is more than capable of being one of those guys that collects points in garbage time or is dominant in the AHL.

Whether it's lack of bulk - or a lack of will - he doesn't do the things necessary to win games or get the most out of his skill.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
The fact that he had no training camp was squarely on him (and maybe his agent) but nothing about his game this season suggests that he is New Jersey's most explosive forward - nor that he is more than capable of being one of those guys that collects points in garbage time or is dominant in the AHL.

Whether it's lack of bulk - or a lack of will - he doesn't do the things necessary to win games or get the most out of his skill.
I believe we are either watching a different player or have different definitions of explosive. If NJ moves on from him they will regret it, especially if someone like Carolina gets a hold of him.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site

Oh really? So Bratt is able to write himself a contract and sign it?

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
This thread didn't age well. Maybe I'm biased watching the Devils play, are there teams out there seeing him with any value?
the thread is only a week old. Bratt looks impressive when he has the puck but there's not a lot of end product right now. Undersized and ultra-finesse.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
I believe we are either watching a different player or have different definitions of explosive. If NJ moves on from him they will regret it, especially if someone like Carolina gets a hold of him.

Funny, @Jason MacIsaac because I was going to suggest the same thing with regards to watching different games.

I equate Bratt with players at the youth level who look wonderful in cone drills but are not the same once the cones start moving.

With players like Dawson Mercer, Jesper Boqvist, and Tyce Thompson on the way - not to mention anyone they might get either in a trade or through free agency - I doubt the Devils will miss Bratt.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Trading Bratt for a late first is pointless. Why trade him to get a player that you hope can become the level of player you traded away? I get we are rebuilding but we aren’t going to win with a roster filled with 22 and under.

Reactions: devils29

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Trading Bratt for a late first is pointless. Why trade him to get a player that you hope can become the level of player you traded away? I get we are rebuilding but we aren’t going to win with a roster filled with 22 and under.
Exactly, if anything NJ gets a massive discount on his next contract if they look to extend.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
That plus having to wait 2/3/4 years for that pick to be able to play in the NHL. Meanwhile , Nico Hughes Smith Blackwood and to a lesser extent impact , Hotz and Mercer will all be that much older and will need to get paid.
Devils need players NHL ready right now. We have enough prospects in the pipeline ( Except RHD and LW) .
I would rather keep the prospects and start to look at trading picks for a elite winger that can finish. Use the first this year on Powers or Hughes or one of the stud RHD ( or Eklund) and then start packaging picks and other prospects not named Mercer Holtz for a Liane type

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Trading Bratt for draft picks is a stupid idea.

He’s 22 and producing despite a horrible, unsustainably bad shooting percentage. He fits with our timeline. No reason to move him.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Braty deserves another full season to try to cement himself as a legitimate point producing 2nd line winger. If he doesnt hit 20 goals 30 plus assists next year on a full season. He hasn't been utilized on our dreadful powerplay and his low shooting percentage has made him look bad. We know he has another level he can play it b uh ta frustrating how streaky he can be.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
While I think Bratt would have some value in a trade, there is 0 reason to trade him unless he's part of a package to land a better player.
Trading him for picks or prospects make no sense at all

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
That plus having to wait 2/3/4 years for that pick to be able to play in the NHL. Meanwhile , Nico Hughes Smith Blackwood and to a lesser extent impact , Hotz and Mercer will all be that much older and will need to get paid.
Devils need players NHL ready right now. We have enough prospects in the pipeline ( Except RHD and LW) .
I would rather keep the prospects and start to look at trading picks for a elite winger that can finish. Use the first this year on Powers or Hughes or one of the stud RHD ( or Eklund) and then start packaging picks and other prospects not named Mercer Holtz for a Liane type
Who else do u like to chase as a winger?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad