Value of: Jesper Bratt

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Jesper Bratt, RW/LW 22 years old (7/30/98)

$2.75mm AAV (Devils can retain or take a contract back to make the cap work) Arbitration eligible RFA 2022, UFA eligible 2024

Style: Pure skill player with excellent offensive tools that excels in transition and in the offensive zone. Tremendous vision and passing, excellent small area skill. Near elite skater, though not elite speed. Can get pushed off the puck easily and not the most effective forechecker. Highly intelligent in the offensive zone and can drive a scoring line through his creativity.

Upside: Elite or near-elite analytics. Multiple statheads (MBM and JFresh) have him as a top player, offensive and defensive impacts, 5v5 scoring rates are also excellent. Talented shooter and finisher, although inconsistent. His somewhat underwhelming point totals should be considered in the context of ice time and very limited special teams deployment (I'll get to this in the downside). 3 more seasons of team control after this one, although arbitration hits after next season.

Downside: Whatever it is that the coaching staff sees that I do not and limits his ice time. He has not been effective on the power play recently, although he also hasn't gotten much opportunity. NJ's powerplay has major problems whether Bratt is on the ice or not, I think there's a good chance that he could plug in to an effective unit and improve his impacts here tremendously as his skillset is a great fit. He does have some consistency issues, but outside his rookie year (when I believe he was physically overwhelmed), it's usually just a game or two before he's playing well again. Has some frustrating moments when he bobbles pucks that he shouldn't or makes dumb passes, but these are pretty minor issues.

Return: NJ is clearly not ready to compete and would prefer futures, will consider established players with years of team control that address needs like RD or scoring winger (yeah, I know, but maybe your team also has a good player that the coaching staff inexplicably hates).

Would want at least a protected 1st round pick (prefer 2022) a la Kase, but hoping for a little more as I think Bratt has some advantages WRT age, injury history, and 5v5 scoring results.

Reactions: Wierzbowski426

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
He's not worth that right now given his numbers this season. You're hoping for a Kapanen return when the kid is disappointing during an expansion year.

Now Zacha on the other hand...

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Haha, Bratt is far better than Zacha. Don't let me stop you if you want to back up the Brinks truck for him though.

Neither Devil is worth a Brinks truck sorry.

They'll probably trade one of the two to get Seattle to take Subban though.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Neither Devil is worth a Brinks truck sorry.

They'll probably trade one of the two to get Seattle to take Subban though.

Why would they do that when Subban will only have a year left on his contract? Seattle might even want him just to reach the floor. If not we’ll just ride it out. No reason to give up anything of value though.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Jesper Bratt, RW/LW 22 years old (7/30/98)

Return: NJ is clearly not ready to compete and would prefer futures, will consider established players with years of team control that address needs like RD or scoring winger (yeah, I know, but maybe your team also has a good player that the coaching staff inexplicably hates).

Would want at least a protected 1st round pick (prefer 2022) a la Kase, but hoping for a little more as I think Bratt has some advantages WRT age, injury history, and 5v5 scoring results.

What the hell is going on here?

What is this thought process happening about giving up young players establishing themselves for future scratch offs??? Do we just keep doing this for years until we get lucky enough where a bunch of the picks we trade for all produce superstars the second the step on the ice at the same time??

Just imagine Bratt is still a 6th round pick but is just entering the league this year, you would be thrilled.

Do we sell high on Hughes, Blackwood and Smith as well? I mean, they can start losing value any day now, and we can't have them losing value.

Reactions: Puckclektr and Groo

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Do we sell high on Hughes, Blackwood and Smith as well? I mean, they can start losing value any day now, and we can't have them losing value.

None of Hughes, Blackwood, or Smith are seeing their ice time cut, being dropped to checking lines, or being left off of special teams. If the Devils consider Bratt anything to be thrilled about, they sure have a funny way of showing it.

Wierzbowski426

Nov 1, 2019
New Jersey
Not sure about trading Bratt. As BJ indicated there is something he is doing that is pissing off the coaching staff and affecting his ice time (and this has happened with other coach(s) but I dont see it from watching him and the advanced stats don't show it.

Without the coaching staff taking away all his pp time and bumping him down in the lineup I would have zero interest in trading him.

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
I'd do Laaksonen + 2nd (will essentially be a late first). Love Bratt.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Why would they want to keep a 9m bottom pairing defenseman?
they would have to go shopping for a rd right after that. vatanen is ufa again. severson is the only returnee. carrick and tennyson are not nhl d's. the prospect pool for rd straight up socks. stinky socks.

they also couldn't make much use of the cap space. subban comes off the books in time, when hughes comes off his elc. no pressure to get rid of this contract.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
None of Hughes, Blackwood, or Smith are seeing their ice time cut, being dropped to checking lines, or being left off of special teams. If the Devils consider Bratt anything to be thrilled about, they sure have a funny way of showing it.
So he gets dropped for one game, that they have yet to actually play and it's time to trade him?

I won't put words in your mouth, I'll just straight up ask, what if next game Nico comes back and for whatever reason we see the practice lines and Hughes is on the 3rd line?

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
So he gets dropped for one game, that they have yet to actually play and it's time to trade him?

This is disingenuous. It's not one game. He played 12 minutes on Tuesday, and now he's on the fourth line. He hasn't had a regular spot on the power play, and he was treated the same way by Hynes.

I won't put words in your mouth, I'll just straight up ask, what if next game Nico comes back and for whatever reason we see the practice lines and Hughes is on the 3rd line?

1. Hughes and Nico have never been treated like Bratt.
2. Even if we pretend that it could happen, we'd still have to wait for multiple coaches to do it over multiple games before it's equivalent.

Reactions: Puckclektr

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
This is disingenuous. It's not one game. He played 12 minutes on Tuesday, and now he's on the fourth line. He hasn't had a regular spot on the power play, and he was treated the same way by Hynes.

1. Hughes and Nico have never been treated like Bratt.
2. Even if we pretend that it could happen, we'd still have to wait for multiple coaches to do it over multiple games before it's equivalent.
The thing is, we both know he is a great player, we have no idea why he is dropped. It can't be pure numbers because we wouldn't have a team if that was the case. It could be any number of things, he's doing things the coach has told him not to, he's not doing certain things in certain situations that he's been told to stop because they aren't working or hurting the system in place. Idk honestly. But he is a good player and good enough to prove it playing with shitty players. There is absolutely no reason to trade him for a pick we hope turns into him 3 years from now.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
The thing is, we both know he is a great player, we have no idea why he is dropped. It can't be pure numbers because we wouldn't have a team if that was the case. It could be any number of things, he's doing things the coach has told him not to, he's not doing certain things in certain situations that he's been told to stop because they aren't working or hurting the system in place. Idk honestly. But he is a good player and good enough to prove it playing with shitty players. There is absolutely no reason to trade him for a pick we hope turns into him 3 years from now.

At some point it doesn't really matter what the reason is any more, it's a pattern. I said it on the Devils board and I mean it: I would rather see him succeed somewhere else than fail with NJ.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
At some point it doesn't really matter what the reason is any more, it's a pattern. I said it on the Devils board and I mean it: I would rather see him succeed somewhere else than fail with NJ.
A pattern of what? He is a 6th round pick that blew everyone's expectations away. He is being treated to the bar he set now. Again, I think he is more than capable of playing on lower lines and proving himself so I'm not worried at all. Hughes is obviously the better player but I would be way more worried with his ability to do anything on a 4th line.

Bratt has a style that can allow him to still do the things asked on any line and move his way back up if he makes it happen, no reason to worry about it.

I feel like you are just kind of spite trading him now because you are bothered that he is being "demoted."

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
A pattern of what? He is a 6th round pick that blew everyone's expectations away. He is being treated to the bar he set now. Again, I think he is more than capable of playing on lower lines and proving himself so I'm not worried at all. Hughes is obviously the better player but I would be way more worried with his ability to do anything on a 4th line.

Bratt has a style that can allow him to still do the things asked on any line and move his way back up if he makes it happen, no reason to worry about it.

I feel like you are just kind of spite trading him now because you are bothered that he is being "demoted."

A pattern of being punished for strong play. I'm bothered that he's demoted, but it's not a spite trade, I sincerely want to see him get a chance somewhere else.

blink

Mar 6, 2002
Ontario
I don't think Bratt is a realistic guy to be traded but I am curious to follow this thread to determine his value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad