Post-Game Talk: Jerts Wern ern Rergurlertion! | 4-1 Victory.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Just realized: Enstrom is running at a point per game pace this year, at 4g-11a=15pts in 15 games. Ladd is only 2pts back of being a PPG player - tied for 4th with Ovechkin in scoring for left wingers, at 14g-18a=32pts in 34 games. I don't much like +/- stats, but Ladd is a +9 while Ovechkin is a -4.

My second Beyak'ism of the day.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Just realized: Enstrom is running at a point per game pace this year, at 4g-11a=15pts in 15 games. Ladd is only 2pts back of being a PPG player - tied for 4th with Ovechkin in scoring for left wingers, at 14g-18a=32pts in 34 games. I don't much like +/- stats, but Ladd is a +9 while Ovechkin is a -4.

My second Beyak'ism of the day.

Imagine if he stayed healthy all season... holy award winning Toby :amazed:

He finally would have gotten the attention he deserves.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
This should be all over the GDT tomorrow:

95mxomi4.jpg

*edit*

yeah I know I did a lousy job :D

caniac315

Nov 21, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Canes broadcasters 3 stars: Pavs, Kane and Ladd. Didn't even bother to find one of their own to give a star to.

Did you not see the game? There wasn't a Canes player on the ice who deserved his name mentioned in the same sentence with the word star, much less deserved one. :help:

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Did you not see the game? There wasn't a Canes player on the ice who deserved his name mentioned in the same sentence with the word star, much less deserved one. :help:

Skinner??? :help:

I thought he played pretty good. 10 shots on goal and some of them were really good.
I have no idea why you guys with the last line change tried to match the E.Staal line with the Little line.
Those guys were all severely out-chanced against them. You should have tried putting JStaal against LLW and then placed EStaal against Jokinen or Antropov's line.

car2fvf.png

From http://www.arcticicehockey.com/winn...590/winnipeg-jets-carolina-hurricanes-fenwick

Wasted line change because those are the exact matchups that Noel would have wanted at home.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

I disagree. I thought the Hurricanes played with a lot of desperation. The Jets matched their desperation but if the goalies were switched, I think the score may have been too.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

No. Wright is similar to Slater, a very good defensive 4th liner who has skill and speed to get the puck out of dangerous areas. He doesn't offensively create much, even much when I followed him in the AHL.

Who I actually think would be good is the same as some others here think would be good, but for different reasons.

Scheifele!

Most people want Scheifele to be a setup man for Kane, but I'm starting to realize that Kane's style doesn't need a setup man. Kane likes to carry the puck in the zone and he creates for himself. If he doesn't have an option than he likes to either distribute it into the slot or put the puck to the net, which could create offense for someone else. Scheifele has been pretty good getting at the prime areas, has a sweet wrister, and was voted most dangerous in the goal area.
I would like to see how Kane-Scheifele-Burmistrov would do next season, as I think they would compliment each other well. Burmistrov has been shown to tilt the ice with his defensive abilities and good possession, but also - contrary to popular belief - he's our second best non-LLW forward and gaining zone possession (although statistically I've only tracked two games thus far haha :naughty:)

Short term I think Antropov does well. If Noel is stuck on keeping Jokinen on the 2nd line, he can put Antropov on the wing and promote Burmistrov to 3C:
Kane-Jokinen-Antropov
Miettinen-Burmistrov-Wellwood
Tangradi-Cormier-Thorburn
But IMO Jokinen would do better with Wellwood (and statistically seems the case) so I would like:
Kane-Antropov-xxx
xxx-Jokinen-Wellwood

Last edited:

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
No. Wright is similar to Slater, a very good defensive 4th liner who has skill and speed to get the puck out of dangerous areas. He doesn't offensively create much, even much when I followed him in the AHL.

Who I actually think would be good is the same someone others think would be good here for different reasons.

Scheifele!

Most people want Scheifele to be a setup man for Kane, but I'm starting to realize that Kane's style doesn't need a setup man. Kane likes to carry the puck in the zone and he creates for himself. If he doesn't have an option than he likes to either distribute it into the slot or put the puck to the net, which could create offense for someone else. Scheifele has been pretty good getting at the prime areas, has a sweet wrister, and was voted most dangerous in the goal area.
I would like to see how Kane-Scheifele-Burmistrov would do next season, as I think they would compliment each other well. Burmistrov has been shown to tilt the ice with his defensive abilities and good possession, but also - contrary to popular belief - he's our second best non-LLW forward and gaining zone possession (although statistically I've only tracked two games thus far haha :naughty:)

Short term I think Antropov does well. If Noel is stuck on keeping Jokinen on the 2nd line, he can put Antropov on the wing and promote Burmistrov to 3C:
Kane-Jokinen-Antropov
Miettinen-Burmistrov-Wellwood
But IMO Jokinen would do better with Wellwood (and statistically seems the case) so I would like:
Kane-Antropov-xxx
xxx-Jokinen-Wellwood

THANK YOU!

I've been going on this for awhile now. Kane needs a cleanup crew plain and simple.

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
Scheifele isn't the answer, the kid is great in the CHL, but really struggled in the NHL (both last year and this year). I don't see him blossoming into more than a 3/4th line centre at best.

He is not the answer to Kane.

Don't start jumping on me because you are all in love with Scheifele, I call it as I see it, he didn't stand out plain and simple.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Scheifele isn't the answer, the kid is great in the CHL, but really struggled in the NHL (both last year and this year). I don't see him blossoming into more than a 3/4th line centre at best.

He is not the answer to Kane.

Don't start jumping on me because you are all in love with Scheifele, I call it as I see it, he didn't stand out plain and simple.

I'm not all in love with Scheifele, and I speak my mind openly and freely in my opinions of TNSE decisions... so I'm not going to jump on you because of that...

However, I think saying 3rd/4th line centre at best is pretty narrow minded given that you are using a very limited evaluation period (in both size and relevance (he was on 4th line off his natural position this season)) and ignoring basic facts that have caused even the scouts who were most against Scheifele state that he tracks to be a decent 2C.

Heck Corey Pronman had Scheifele pre-draft as a 29 and has been one of Scheifele's biggest critics when it comes to professional 3rd party scouting resources... but now has said this...
Winnipeg Jets 2012-13 Top 10 Prospects
The Good: Mark Scheifele has high-end hockey sense and is an absolutely fantastic playmaker. He makes plays with his hands and vision every single shift and can have the offense flow through him. Scheifele is a good defensive center who is very responsible and aware for a junior-aged player. When he fills out, he'll be a good physical player in terms of protecting the puck and winning board battles.

The Bad: Scheifele's skating showed notable improvement this season, even at times looking pro-average, but he can still look a little sluggish at times. He needs to gain a good amount of strength before he's fully ready for the top level.

Projection: He could be a below-average top line center.
NHL Top 50 Prospects:
20. Mark Scheifele, Center, Winnipeg Jets (Previous Ranking: 28): Scheifele continues to improve his game and seems to be tracking well as a prospect. He has great offensive hockey sense and he seems to be getting an extra step or two as well. If he can be an average skater, that's all he'll really need.

You can't say something that is VERY against the regular opinionated stream (and not meaning from a homer standpoint) and not expect some backlash, especially when your source of evidence is pretty low standard.

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
You can't say something that is VERY against the regular opinionated stream (and not meaning from a homer standpoint) and not expect some backlash, especially when your source of evidence is pretty low standard.
Where did you get that ranking? The most recent one had him falling to 34.

I just don't see it, despite what stats show, something wasn't there when he was playing with us.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba

I just don't see it, despite what stats show, something wasn't there when he was playing with us.

that was hockeys future. which is this websites, which is not published by actual scouts (is it? i could be wrong there)

It's fine to be critical, but you've made a bold, negative claim that goes against popular opinion, you will experience backlash. For example, trying to argue the world is flat in a modern geography class. Or arguing anything against the church in the middle ages.

Opinions against the grain always cause backlash...but they also can change the grain...

but i'm firmly with the church on this one.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
This is a canes fan describing how he feels about their season. It's amazing.

I wouldn't say mine is a "sick to my stomach" feeling. To me this feels more like when bread pops out of the toaster and you open the jar of peanut butter only to find it's almost gone and there's really not enough to spread generously over 2 pieces. There's no good alternative like jam, because someone in the house likes orange marmalade not strawberry like normal people and you didn't do the shoppin, or even worse, regular buttered toast because the butter is still cold in the package in the fridge and everyone knows that butter straight from the fridge (even cut into the thinnest of pats and placed in orderly rows between 2 slices of warm toast to melt) never really melts all the way and wind up as uneven butter blobs because it wasn't really spread like it was meant to be in the first place. Besides, the whole project was begun to meet a sudden craving of PEANUT butter toast.

So rather than settle for an alternative, you do an eyeball-estimate of peanut butter left in the jar, factor-in the difficulty you know will come, and spread just enough onto the first slice to meet the minimum threshold for satisfaction. Then you extract the last easy-to-get-at blobs and spread them on the 2nd. As expected, the 2nd slice is so woefully under-covered that to stop there you may as well have put more on the 1st slice and eat 2nd dry, but you knew this already. You knew this would happen when you did your initial estimate and still committed to 2 slices of peanut butter toast, so you get to work making it happen...scraping scraping scraping spreading scraping scraping scraping spreading....undeterred, spreading meager bits of peanut butter thinking "I WILL get at every bit!". You're rewarded with noticable progress at first, but your 2nd slice is still unsatisfactory when you reach the point...and everyone knows the point I'm talking about... where the amount of peanut butter removed per scrape dramatically plummets...

Now it's gut check time. The moment of Truth to see what kind of person you are. If you want to make any more progress with the dwindling streaks you'll have to apply more and more pressure as you scrape and dig around in there, but you're know that because you grabbed a regular table knife (way back when you thought there was plenty inside the jar) and they have those those teeny tiny serrations on the part of the edge you're using, you'll also be carving-out an increasing number of little curly-tails of peanut butter jar plastic from the inside wall as you do, and they will wind up on your toast.

Not being metrosexual enough to have bought an array of rubber smooth-bladed spatulas in order to have one small enough to get into the jar and extract the PB efficiently and cleanly, or to know where they are if your wife had snuck some into the house, and even if she had and you knew where they were around there somewhere, are you so gutless as to actually put down the knife and rummage around for it? Rummage around for a limp rubber and plastic handled spatula, something that is used to put icing on cupcakes?...

Hell no. Even with nobody looking it's already lame enough you're handling a knife that has no killing point or heft and edge that could cleave a skull or gut an elk, but at least it's a metal knife, kind of. Hopefully, you're not even aware of the spatula-option because your mind is tweaked to shoot it down prior to it even becoming a blip at the edge of your gray matter radar display. No, the most you maaaaaybe register in your mind is "Sure, if I continue to scrape harder I'll be ingesting some plastic petrochemicals", but even as you do you dig-in without outwardly missing a beat. That's right, you dig-in hard, then even harder as you embrace the notion that you have the kind of intestinal fortitude that will shrug off anything passing through your system...hundreds perhaps thousands of petrochemical solid curlytail scrapings...so what. PCBs, dioxins...whatever. A noxious cocktail sludging through your guts....you know you can handle with not so much as a blink. You want peanut butter toast and don't care what else is on there as long as the peanut butter is.

And so you scrape every bit of contaminated peanut butter out of the jar and now you have enough for the toast. And you eat it. And you like it. And it tastes extra-good...maybe even the best you ever had.. because you threw away the scraped-clean peanut butter jar deliberately into the regular garbage bin, not the recycling bin where the kind of people who would have gone for the spatula would pester you to throw it, and didn't settle for inferior orange marmalade or that goddammed cold butter either.

That's more like how I feel right now.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
This is a canes fan describing how he feels about their season. It's amazing.

And this is a follow up post, imagining the Canes' players as the main character in the PB story. These guys are funny!

Skinner: dazzles everyone by juggling the peanut butter jar and knife, throwing them up in the air and flipping them all around like a chef at BeniHana; forgets to actually try and get the peanut butter out.

Pitkanen: reaches for jar, injures knees

Ruutu: reaches for jar, injures groin

McBain: somehow smears peanut butter in his hair and stabs himself in the eye with the knife

Bowman: "So I'm supposed to put this knife....in the jar?"

LaRose: scrapes and scrapes and scrapes, gets no peanut butter, still sports indomitable smile

Harrison: glares at jar intimidatingly, but that's as far as it goes

Westgarth: befuddled, leaves to ask Bill Cowher what to do with the jar

Jordan Staal: waits for his big brother to get the peanut butter out, counts his money in the meantime

Semin: Keeps stabbing the knife toward the jar with picture perfect technique, but misses the jar every time.

Gleason: stays in bed with hangover

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

Hockey Prospectus, which I respect a lot more than the Hockey's Future system because it is actually cohesive instead of bashing stuff together. It is predominately the view point of Corey Pronman (also works for ESPN) using input of team's scouts themselves and formulating in a list that heavily relies on the skills that make out a positive possession player.

Hockey's Future, I believe, is a few HF employees who put together a list from input of the HF employees for each team. I highly suggest looking at the difference between some players ratings on that list, who were placed similarly, and then look at the team pages on HF... you'll notice quickly there isn't really any continuity. Regardless, 34 rating is still top percentile which would indicate likely hood of at least top 6.

I wasn't really discussing stats; I was suggesting that having the opinion of 3rd/4th liner tops is very bold when with professionals the toughest of critics are viewing below average 2C as the floor.

But I do always find the opinion of: despite what the stats (results) show, I don't like how the results look like to me.

Now, no longer for any individual in particular.
But if anyone else wants some stats (facts):

2011-12
During his NHL tenure Scheifele was sheltered, was heavily pushed into the offensive zone. He played 60 minutes of 5v5 time and came out a positive possession player. When he was on the ice Jets (barely) out-shot opponents and also maintained 53.6% of the chances.

2012-13
During his NHL tenure Scheifele was sheltered much less, and was pushed into the defensive zone. He started 37.5% of his shifts in the defensive zone (with Slater and Thorburn) which is less than everyone except for ~30 players in the NHL. He played 42 minutes of 5v5 time and came out a positive possession player again. At the time Scheifele left he had a Corsi of 0; his linemates Thorburn and Slater had a Corsi in the -20s given the same usage (Corsi is just shot attempts for and against).

Using Gabriel Desjardin's NHL equivalencies, you can predict what most junior players production will be on average the next season given pts/gp in junior...
Given Scheifele's 2011-12 production, the following season you could expect his next season in the NHL in 82GP season around 12G 21A 33PTS
Given Scheifele's 2012-13 production, the following season you could expect his next season in the NHL in 82GP season around 21G 23A 44PTS
Now while not all players will fall near this, they tend to be more exceptions than rules. The players that fail tend to be players who are over-agers, relied on a skill that doesn't translate well against NHL opponents or extremely undersized.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad