Jersey types in Pick-up games

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Where did you get it? I want something funky this year. Something like that would be great.

Oh, I think there is a big diference between guys who a pro jersey and guys who wear the whole get up, gloves, socks...the whole bit.

Its a pretty well known site I think for the most part, heres the link.

http://www.russianjerseys.com/

Heres the jersey I have

akbars04awayfr.jpg

It matches my pads, so my colour scheme is pretty unique, I like it. Plus I like the RSL too so it works out well.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
What kind of jersey ya wear doesnt matter. WHen its an NHL team jersey it just says who your a fan of. I dont think it reflects your skill level. One doesnt have to be great to be a team fan. Wear what you like as long as you have a light and dark. WHat others think really doesnt matter and for those that make you a target because of it...will just push you out of your comfort zone and help you improve, right?

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
As far as wearing a players name on your jersey, I don't really care. As long as you're mentally older than 10 and realise you are not Bure, Jagr, Lemieux, etc.

I own a Bure, Koivu, Bondra, and Turgeon (IT WAS A GIFT) jersey. I'll wear any of em with no delusions that I am in any way shape or form ever close to them.

Magnus Fulgur

Nov 27, 2002
I wear Nordiques blue sans crest and a white Chicago Wolves from a mens'league with a crest that I designed and spray painted through a stencil (a W crossed with a P and Van Halen wings). I put the crest on it because I joined my team late (called the Wolfpack) and so I got my number (15) but no crest :D

Saint Teemu

Aug 16, 2005
I wear my belfast giants jersey to pickup
That is too frickin' cool (even though I'm not keen on the Belfast Giants' colours). I tried to get an Irish National Team jersey for my brother, but no one responded to my e-mail.

Marillion-Fan, you will hate yourself for trashing that bee-yoo-tiful Malkin jersey.

I can't remember the last time I played pick-up hockey. I've been part of a beer league, but every team had their own unis. I'd probably wear an old beer league jersey.

As for the cool/uncool thing, people take it too far both ways. If you've got 'pro' matching jersey, socks, helmet, gloves, then you look like a wannabe or like you take this way too seriously. But some guys are just as ridiculous on the other end of the spectrum, looking like skating homeless people in ridiculously torn-up gear.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
That is too frickin' cool (even though I'm not keen on the Belfast Giants' colours). I tried to get an Irish National Team jersey for my brother, but no one responded to my e-mail.

Marillion-Fan, you will hate yourself for trashing that bee-yoo-tiful Malkin jersey.

I can't remember the last time I played pick-up hockey. I've been part of a beer league, but every team had their own unis. I'd probably wear an old beer league jersey.

As for the cool/uncool thing, people take it too far both ways. If you've got 'pro' matching jersey, socks, helmet, gloves, then you look like a wannabe or like you take this way too seriously. But some guys are just as ridiculous on the other end of the spectrum, looking like skating homeless people in ridiculously torn-up gear.

Whenever I play drop-in, I always found it funny when the people skating out would wear sweat pants out on the ice. It gave me the hobo thought you just mentioned.

Polska

May 25, 2004
Vancouver
I have a pro knitted rec league jersey, matching gloves and socks. I never wear them since the jersey is too heavy and I don't play for the team anymore but I'm playing a scrimmage type game at GM place and ordered my brother to take pictures.

You think it'd be corny to go out there all matching?

Magnus Fulgur

Nov 27, 2002
I wear a full Washington Home Ovechkin kit with silver visor. I don't understand why I get two-handed slashes across my head all the time, though. Maybe I should go back to my Crosby 69 or my "SK8RBOI" kit. :dunce:

Phoenix

Mar 26, 2006
may not be so relevant for over there, but where I live, practice jerseys arren't that cheap anyway. Most of us wear nhl jerserys or club jerseys. Some of the coaches will wear a lettered one.

I've actually been picking up nhl jerseys over the net and wearing them cos they end up about the same price as a practice jersey. :amazed: :)

Phoenix

Mar 26, 2006
speaking of jerseys, is the number "9" of any particular association??? Cos as far as I was aware, it wasnt, but I was scared about making a sacrilegous move to make it my number. I like it and I've used it for non-hockey stuff.

mooseOAK*

speaking of jerseys, is the number "9" of any particular association??? Cos as far as I was aware, it wasnt, but I was scared about making a sacrilegous move to make it my number. I like it and I've used it for non-hockey stuff.

Back in the days of Maurice Richard, Bobby Hull, and Gordie Howe the number 9 was one of the most popular and revered numbers but not so much now. Back then you had to be really good to justify wearing it.

Doctor Hook

Mar 11, 2006
Boston
Back in the days of Maurice Richard, Bobby Hull, and Gordie Howe the number 9 was one of the most popular and revered numbers but not so much now. Back then you had to be really good to justify wearing it.

I'd still say that 9 is reserved for a skilled guy. It'd be weird seeing an NHL enforcer rock 9. Actually, in this day and age, it'd be weird seeing an NHL enforcer, period :D

Phoenix

Mar 26, 2006
yikes, hmm, maybe I will be changing my number then. Are there any others I should stay away from? The only ones I know to steer clear of are gretzkys and jagrs.

Doctor Hook

Mar 11, 2006
Boston
yikes, hmm, maybe I will be changing my number then. Are there any others I should stay away from? The only ones I know to steer clear of are gretzkys and jagrs.

What position and what type of player are you? I'll give you my recs...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad