Jersey Retirements

HockeyRulez

Panthers hockey since 1993
Nov 11, 2010
The Sunshine State
Wait....

Why are we talking about Bure in a jersey retirement conversation?

He's not even close to just be considered.
Are you serious?

He is in the hockey Hall of Fame. Won the rocket richard trophy not once but twice as a panther. He was also a great panther captain. You tell me who else in our franchise has that kind of resume.

come on man... smh

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC
Are you serious?

He is in the hockey Hall of Fame. Won the rocket richard trophy not once but twice as a panther. He was also a great panther captain. You tell me who else in our franchise has that kind of resume.

come on man... smh

I am serious...but are you?

Name one player who has played 3 seasons for a team and had his jersey retired?

Let's retire Jagr's jersey. He has been so good for this team and he played 2 more playoffs games with the Panthers than Bure!

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
I am serious...but are you?

Name one player who has played 3 seasons for a team and had his jersey retired?

Let's retire Jagr's jersey. He has been so good for this team and he played 2 more playoffs games with the Panthers than Bure!
Bourque played 2 season with the Avs iirc

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
It's not an exception because he won a cup. It's cup or long enough with one club.
Cup doesn't apply to Bourque though IMO, since he was only there for a season+. He's literally the only player to have played that little (cup or not) for a team and have his jersey retired, excluding players who passed away.

My opinion on cup jersey retirement is at least 5-7 years with that franchise and you have to be an essential part of the team (top6 forward, top4 d-man, number 1 goalie, conn smythe winner). Bourque was a great player and the story leading to his cup ring was once in a lifetime, but even Avs fans agree that it was weird.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Lu was a rare case. He's a future hof'er, played most of his career here, and means a lot to this community. He never won a Vezina here, but he should have, in his first stint here. It would be wrong to retire the next guy's number and not Lu's. Lu didn't pick the teams he played on, or he would have had a lot of postseason success.

Bure....not even a glimmer of a chance. He played 3 seasons here and never won a playoff game here.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
It’s remarkable that the consensus is that.... the Panthers got this one right...

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
We were lucky to be able to retire a number. We retired #1 because of his accomplishments throughout his entire career and his commitment to the local community. Winning an olympic gold medal is huge and a big reason why he is being rewarded. Was it for Canada? Yes, but he has chosen South Florida as his home and we are lucky to have him.

Reactions: Cold Cat

HockeyRulez

Nov 11, 2010
The Sunshine State
Watching all of these fox sports Florida rewinds of Bure further proves that he should get a jersey retirement. He was a generational player that we were lucky to have.

Reactions: Bure1096

HockeyRulez

Nov 11, 2010
The Sunshine State
By that logic though would jagr get one too?
In my personal opinion I wouldn’t have an issue with Jagr due to the milestone he reached here, but looking at it objectively Bure’s two rocket richard trophies set him apart. The fact that he led the league in goals twice while representing the panthers should get his jersey retired. Prime Bure on the Panthers was a nightly highlight reel, don’t take my word for it watch the tape.

Bure1096

Mar 6, 2007
Florida
You could tell he was waaaay ahead of everyone. Those replays are silly. Passing, skating and shooting was terrible. Bure actually knew what to do.

Reactions: HockeyRulez

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
In my personal opinion I wouldn’t have an issue with Jagr due to the milestone he reached here, but looking at it objectively Bure’s two rocket richard trophies set him apart. The fact that he led the league in goals twice while representing the panthers should get his jersey retired. Prime Bure on the Panthers was a nightly highlight reel, don’t take my word for it watch the tape.
Absolutely, I know, I just don’t know if the tenure is there for a jersey retirement. He’s no doubt the most skilled and best scorer we’ve ever had. I always imagine playing more in the 8-season range to be in the jersey retirement discussion. Or maybe if he played 6 full seasons then there’d be an argument, but he played a total of a little under 3 full seasons worth here. I’m just not sure, no matter how great, if that warrants a jersey retirement. Either way, I just envy the day where we can have a scorer on that level again :(

Reactions: HockeyRulez

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Yeah the tenure just isn't there. Plus no playoff success. No doubt he did a lot for S.Florida hockey but jersey retirements should be reserved for absolute pillars of the franchise. Unfortunately even if he had stayed, he only would have been here for one more season, as injuries destroyed a great career. It was an exciting couple years though.

Reactions: SoupyFIN

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Yeah the tenure just isn't there. Plus no playoff success. No doubt he did a lot for S.Florida hockey but jersey retirements should be reserved for absolute pillars of the franchise. Unfortunately even if he had stayed, he only would have been here for one more season, as injuries destroyed a great career. It was an exciting couple years though.
Plus, listening to his interview with Moller, I don't think he particularly remembered much of his Florida time.

I think the next realistic round of retirements will be Hubs or Barky if they retire with the team, using Luongo as a comparison.

The old 1990s guys were left too long: should Mellanby or Svehla be retired for being good players? I think Jokinen or Weiss would have been if they stayed with the Panthers.

My unpopular take is that if Yandle plays the rest of his career here (end of his contract+2 or 3 more reasons), number 3 will be retired ;)

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Plus, listening to his interview with Moller, I don't think he particularly remembered much of his Florida time.

I think the next realistic round of retirements will be Hubs or Barky if they retire with the team, using Luongo as a comparison.

The old 1990s guys were left too long: should Mellanby or Svehla be retired for being good players? I think Jokinen or Weiss would have been if they stayed with the Panthers.

My unpopular take is that if Yandle plays the rest of his career here (end of his contract+2 or 3 more reasons), number 3 will be retired ;)

Svehla would have the best shot of the old school guys imo, but what dooms him is what dooms most of them, lack of playoff success.

HockeyRulez

Nov 11, 2010
The Sunshine State
If tenure is the argument you are basically punishing a guy for his injuries. Let’s also remember that he was traded to the Rangers it’s not like he left our team on his own terms. I just don’t think it’s right to say because you weren’t here long enough due to your injuries that you shouldn’t be rightfully acknowledged for your accomplishments here.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
If tenure is the argument you are basically punishing a guy for his injuries. Let’s also remember that he was traded to the Rangers it’s not like he left our team on his own terms. I just don’t think it’s right to say because you weren’t here long enough due to your injuries that you shouldn’t be rightfully acknowledged for your accomplishments here.

Yes, it is right. Durability matters. It's nice to contemplate the what-if's, but sports is all about results. Should Eric Lindros be regarded as a top 5 player of all time, because it's not fair to punish him for his injuries? No, it sucks for him, and it's very unfortunate, but that's the way sports work.

If Bure hadn't been traded, he only would have been a Panther for one more season. He couldn't play anymore after 2003.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->