Jersey Retirements

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Neither of them were here long enough and did little in bringing success to the team. Mellanby did more than Bure, but still it was really only one year.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Lu is the only player worthy of that honour so far. I've never understood why Bure gets brought up in this conversation, the guy played essentially 3 seasons as a Panther. We could have our Ray Bourque moment with someone, let's say Joe Thornton as an example, and I still wouldn't want his jersey retired.

Huberdeau, Barkov and Ekblad are next in line, if they hang around long enough.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Lu is the only player worthy of that honour so far. I've never understood why Bure gets brought up in this conversation, the guy played essentially 3 seasons as a Panther. We could have our Ray Bourque moment with someone, let's say Joe Thornton as an example, and I still wouldn't want his jersey retired.

I forgot Ek.

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
Lu spent the majority of his career as a Panther and is 3rd all time in wins behind Marty Brodeur and Patrick Roy. Likely a future hall of famer. Don't think any other players in our franchise history meet that standard of league-wide respect and being associated as being a "Panthers player." Mellanby was good but not a Hall of Fame type player. Bure was a hall of fame type player but wasn't here most of his career

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
To me, if you want to retire Bure and Mellanby's number, Vanbiesbrouck has to be retired too.
But Luongo thrived the whole time he was there and gave the Florida Panthers elite goaltending. He is a step above in term of long term impact on the team!

Reactions: HockeyRulez

HockeyRulez

Panthers hockey since 1993
Nov 11, 2010
The Sunshine State

Bure to me is more than deserving even through his injuries. It’s not about how long someone plays for a team but what the player accomplishes with said team. He is without a doubt the best goal scorer in team history and he has the trophies to back it up.

I don’t understand the argument being cause his best years weren’t here... I guess this is news to some but neither was Luongos. Vancouver says hi.

I’m not trying to take anything away from his accomplishments, I like him a lot but there are others that are deserving as well.

Last edited:

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Bure to me is more than deserving even through his injuries. It’s not about how long someone plays for a team but what the player accomplishes with said team. He is without a doubt the best goal scorer in team history and he has the trophies to back it up.

I don’t understand the argument being cause his best years weren’t here... I guess this is news to some but neither was Luongos. Vancouver says hi.

I’m not trying to take anything away from his accomplishments, I like him a lot but there are others that are deserving as well.

Vancouver already retired his number and rightfully so. It's very rare to get your jersey retired by two teams. Generally you either have to win a SC or play a ton of games for a team to get your number retired. Bure did neither here.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
lu will be a HOFer. i think that is a large part of the equation.

no way on bure. his time here wasn't special (enough).

love beezer but i don't think he makes the cut (only played 4 years here?) and if he doesn't make it, nobody else does.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
lu will be a HOFer. i think that is a large part of the equation.

no way on bure. his time here wasn't special (enough).

love beezer but i don't think he makes the cut (only played 4 years here?) and if he doesn't make it, nobody else does.

Yeah there's no way anybody else makes it. What they should do is really beef up the displays for certain players like Beezer, Bure, Mellanby, Svehla, Jokinen, Vokoun etc. in the Den of Honor. Let people know that they were special players, a cut above the rest. The #1 retirement was a nice presentation, idk why they can't do the same for the den of honor.

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl

Couldn't disagree more. Jersey retirements should be for people who won you a cup and stuck around for over a decade. Symbols of success, and commitment. Lou was most deserving solely for the sad state of the franchise. He snuck in. His best years were in Canada. And that's all his jersey represents. Yes, he deserves hall of fame. But I will never remember the time we won a single series in a playoffs with Lou in net. He was notorious for leaking goals in the final minute for seasons before we shipped him off to Vancouver. How embarrassing to retire a jersey for a guy who didn't win one single playoff round with your team!

Last edited:

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Given how the season has gone, it may be time to “retire” #72....

Reactions: cowboy82nd

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I dunno. I think it's a worthy retirement. Sure, his best success came with the Canucks but he did play here for 11 years, and for almost all of those at a great level.

His career stats have him as one of the best to put on a goalie mask. He also is a good ambassador for the Panthers and community as well.

While I wish he got to accomplish more things here, like a cup run/win, he was stuck here with subpar talent most of time.

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC

"More than deserving"

Come on

He's not even close to deserve it.

I'm not saying a player needs to play 25 years for a team to have his jersey retired. But Bure played three seasons with the Panthers....

Three seasons....that's enough said

Oh...and I forgot...4 playoffs games

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad