OT: Jersey Numbers

Bruins1726

May 16, 2010
Do rookies have to play a certain amount of games before they can change their jersey numbers? Our guys constantly wear their training camp numbers but then you have cases like Matt Fraser who comes up wearing a normal 25. It just looks odd to have all these high numbers on the ice.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Do rookies have to play a certain amount of games before they can change their jersey numbers? Our guys constantly wear their training camp numbers but then you have cases like Matt Fraser who comes up wearing a normal 25. It just looks odd to have all these high numbers on the ice.

Agreed: The only high numbers I like are the double digit ones. Today though, I think that the kids look at it with a sense of the "higher" the number the cooler it looks.:dunno:
I have to admit though: IMO 88 looks great on Pastranak.

Last edited:

doc5hole

Nov 30, 2003
www.southcoasttoday.com
Bergeron wore his junior number into pro hockey, but it seems that sometime around the Krejci era it became fashionable for guys to want to keep their camp numbers when they became regulars. Krejci was issued 23 in Providence, 46 in Boston. 23 was available when he became an NHL regular but he stuck with 46. Lucic, on the other hand, went from 62 to 17.

Neely was issued 8 when acquired in 1986 and asked for 12 for Stan Smyl, whom he grew up idolizing in Vancouver. But Harry Sinden liked him better in 8, so it was. Randy Burridge was in the minors that season and did not yet solidify 12 as his number.

BTW: Niklas Svedberg wore 1 in Providence, wears 72 with Boston.

So 6, 10, 13, 14, 16, 19, 21, 22, 26, 28 and 29 are all <30 numbers available.

10 should be retired for Bill Cowley.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad