Jersey numbers for new acquisitions

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
#86 on Jack seems off.

"No. 6 is the family number. Everyone has worn it: uncles, aunts, cousins, brothers," Hughes said on the Devils All-Access podcast.

He also wore No. 43. It was a number his older brother, Canucks defenseman Quinn Hughes, wore during his USA Hockey development program days and passed on to Jack, who said he had passed it on to younger brother Luke Hughes. In fact, Jack said he saw a No. 43 Devils jersey with his name on it at their draft party the night he was selected.

Instead, he chose to wear No. 86 in the NHL. Hughes said he previously wore the number in "minor-midget" hockey for two years and decided to bring it back for his pro career -- mostly because he knew his preferred No. 6 was already on the back of 36-year-old Devils captain Andy Greene.

"Well, Greener is No. 6, obviously. Probably not the best start if I ask the captain to change his number," Hughes said.

We'll see if he changes his mind in a few years. Ie, Jack Eichel switched from #15 to his preferred #9 after Evander Kane was moved. Joe Thornton started off with #6 before switching to his familiar #19. Vinny Lecavalier started with #8, Patrick Marleau started with #14, and I'm sure there's plenty of others.

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
Spezza was asked on a conference call for Toronto radio if he was going to wear 90 and he wasn’t sure. He would have to get 19 from Petan.

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
One of my favourite off-season topics! Keep up with the updates as teams get more ready OP! :yo:

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Hainsey really should have gone full troll and brought back #65 with Ottawa, instead. . . what even is this?

tenor.gif

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
No numbers for the Leafs yet.

Though Spezza probably keeps 90 or goes to 19.

Barrie, Kerfoot and Ceci all have to get new numbers.

thomaspalmer

May 27, 2016
Hamilton, ON
Not sure if it necessary counts as a new acquisition since he technically hasn't made the team yet, but it seems like Kirby Dach will be wearing #77 in Chicago.

Also, looks like Nylander is switching to #88.

Reactions: Sauce12

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Sharks website changed the numbers for Brodzinski (#22) and Prout (#5). 76 and 6 were their numbers on their old teams and I think the SJ roster page just copy-pasted from them.

Reactions: Sauce12
Mar 11, 2013
QC
Wonder why he's switching - 88 is a nicer number IMO but 29 seems trendy for young forwards with MacKinnon, Laine, Draisaitl, etc.
He wore 88 in Sweden and he wasn't able to wear the number in the NHL because of Lamoriello, or if you hate the Leafs he's hoping to counteract Pastrnak's superpowers against the Leafs by changing to the same number

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad