OT: Jersey Discussion

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
Yuck, 96-07 jerseys are terrible. That copper or whatever that is was probably the worst colour put on a jersey. The Red around that logo is horrible as well, that’s a coulor we should never wear.

Make a blue jersey like the Condors one above our home jersey and make the Orange the alternate’s worn about 14 times a year.
Im the exact opposite. Love them. Looked dark on the ice, the red accented the copper nicely and it wasnt something 80s for the first time in franchise history. Having said that I do love the royal blues.

Either of those would be my choice and whichever one isnt picked make the 3rd jersey. For the love of god get rid of the orange

images

Reactions: Oilhawks

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
No idea what the poster was talking about either. Those were the best ever jerseys. Loved the colors, look, they had it right with those.

Add to this that entire era is one this org steadfastly ignores. As far as the Oilers are concerned, time stopped in 1990.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Im the exact opposite. Love them. Looked dark on the ice, the red accented the copper nicely and it wasnt something 80s for the first time in franchise history. Having said that I do love the royal blues.

Either of those would be my choice and whichever one isnt picked make the 3rd jersey. For the love of god get rid of the orange

images

Best jerseys ever IMO.
Understated striping and color contrast and clean lines.Very sharp and professional. Doesnt scream...LOOK AT ME...like the Orange jerseys do. Copper and Blue go excellent together as well.
The current jerseys are anything but understated.

Oil is actually a lot closer to copper in color than it is to orange. The orange and blue are a corporate tie to Gulf oil from days past.

The brash and loud Orange is not really my thing.

Reactions: Jamin and Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Add to this that entire era is one this org steadfastly ignores. As far as the Oilers are concerned, time stopped in 1990.

Its an interesting comment. In the org, management, alumni gathering, representation of any kind the 90's players, coaches, manages may as well not exist. Its like the org completely forgets about that decade which involved some good personnel and players.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Its an interesting comment. In the org, management, alumni gathering, representation of any kind the 90's players, coaches, manages may as well not exist. Its like the org completely forgets about that decade which involved some good personnel and players.

Even weirder when you consider Lowe and MacT both coached/managed the team in that time period and that a considerable portion of Tier 1s now would have grown up with those squads.

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
The orange Adidas jerseys have to be ditched. When they were first released I was prepared to embrace them, but now they will forever be associated with a terrible period in Oilers history, kinda like the awful first reebok set from 07/08 with the vertical piping.

I grew up with the copper and blue jerseys and they are still my favourite set. It's funny but as a fan who doesn't remember the 'glory days' the retro jerseys are really starting to sour on me. I've got more love for guys like Smyth, Smith, Weight, Cujo, etc. than any of the 80s players at this point.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
I look at Jersey rebranding as simple crass economic fashion. Lets make this years colors different so that anybody that wants to feel in has to dish out another few hundred bucks for attire that is uncomfortable, in the closet almost all the time, and taking up space next to several other retreads.

Except in my closet few of these ever exist.

Anytime I'm around Rogers near a game time I'm amazed how many people, such a large proportion are willing to dole out earned for the latest jerseys. It speaks to duped duplicity. Who wants to be uniform anyway, and wear what everybody else is wearing, pun intended.

jebus I despised the gear drop and still do. Always thought that was trying to "Red Wing" the Oilers logo. I also think the Red Wings Jersey is one of the ugliest things ever invented. About as ugly as the Detroit hunks of steel they were pumping out at the time.

I haven't bought a Jersey since they won their last cup. Win a cup and I'll buy a Jersey.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Wasnt it Thomas the tank engine? I dont get the reference? What jersey looked like this?

Thomas_Tank_Engine_1.JPG

Yeah that. It was a team that tried hard but always fell short. I think I can I think I can. I think I can.
Too much of a reminder of the dead puck rich get richer NHL. Plus just plain old fugly jersies.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
I like the revamp of the 96-07 version

I don't like the black jersey idea

Go back to the heritage version of the orange as the 3rd jersey

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Just use the same template the Condors are using this season:

Realistically, the Oilers are not going to drop the bright ass orange and navy blue horrendous combo for at least 5 years regardless of the fan backlash. They branded themselves as these colours and will likely commit for a while.

The best they could do is make navy blue the primary colour (like in the Condors picture) and make the current home orange the 3rd IMO. That wouldn't be too bad.

Edit: Is the blue/orange in the Condors picture the same as the blue/orange the Oilers currently use for their home/away?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don't buy the jerseys for two reasons:

1) The cost (and I refuse to stoop to the level of buying overseas knock-offs)
2) The name bar curse

Every jersey I have purchased (and there aren't many) of any player from any pro sport who was with the team upon purchase either got traded away or left as a free agent a season or two after I bought the jersey making them useless and worthless to me. I refuse to wear a jersey of a player currently playing but with another team. I didn't despise the driller/rigger shoulder patch they had for several years but I certainly wasn't a fan of it. It sure seems the gear-drop logo seemed to be a "loved it"/"hated it" split. No grey area or middle ground with that one :laugh:.

I have the 98 Smyth Jersey with all letter and patch, love the colors. That's a beauty, heh, and I grabbed it AFTER he was traded because it still made sense for me to do that. He was always going to be an Oiler I liked and so I paid 60bucks for it.

The wife has a Yak Jersey, also for 60bucks and he was STILL HERE!, but also for some humor. She wanted Hall, I should have waited... (the Yak Jersey is one of the few I've seen that was priced down while the player was still here. Also happened to Schultz, and Gilbert through the years.) You can almost tell who the bad or scapegoated players are from their jersey pricing, lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad