In Memoriam Jerry Remy - 1952 - 2021

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

Agree fully about naming the street after him. I don't think retiring the number would be appropriate (as Bogaerts is wearing it currently and could have a case for getting it retired for himself if he plays another 7 or 8 years here). Remy's contributions to Red Sox Nation are undeniable, but not really for what he did as a player (by our modern standards of evaluation, which are different from how people judged players in 1978, he was actually not very good.) Hang up a plaque for him with a microphone or something alongside the numbers, but #2 isn't really associated with him.

Reactions: GabeTravels

Si Hopkins

Dec 8, 2007
Easthampton
magichelicopterpress.com
Agree fully about naming the street after him. I don't think retiring the number would be appropriate (as Bogaerts is wearing it currently and could have a case for getting it retired for himself if he plays another 7 or 8 years here). Remy's contributions to Red Sox Nation are undeniable, but not really for what he did as a player (by our modern standards of evaluation, which are different from how people judged players in 1978, he was actually not very good.) Hang up a plaque for him with a microphone or something alongside the numbers, but #2 isn't really associated with him.

Didn't the Bruins hang something like a framed microphone for Fred Cusick after he retired? That kind of thing would make sense for Remy.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

Have truly never considered that Xander Bogaerts could get his number retired at some point. He doesn’t have an “iconic” sort of place in my fan heart, but admittedly that could be because I watch less of the team than in my younger days.

Regardless, I don’t think he should really come into the “number retirement” consideration in terms of Remy. Ray freaking Bourque (who I think we can agree is in a class above Bogaerts in terms of pro athlete?) switched numbers to let Espo go to the rafters as the sole owner of #7.

I know that Remy’s baseball career is pretty unremarkable, but I think a number retirement is worth consideration for sure considering his contributions to the franchise and I’m not sure the outside force of Xander currently wearing that number should act as a deterrent.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
nope, the co-tenant at TD Garden did

Do your research HUTCH.

The Bruins Honor the Late Fred Cusick

During the first media timeout of the second period, the club dedicated the Bruins home TV broadcast booth to Cusick by renaming it the “Fred Cusick Broadcast Booth.” Also, a silver microphone encased in a Black & Gold frame, similar to the one that immortalizes the late Celtics broadcaster Johnny Most, will be mounted on the level 9 facade of the TD Garden.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Not sure I can get behind a number retirement for Remy.

What they should do however is put "Remy" in the circle instead of #2 up on the overhang for him instead. That's a perfect way to honor his contributions on and off the field IMO

Reactions: McGarnagle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad