Jeremy Roenick

TvK86

Nov 19, 2010
I was just curious as to how HFBoards ranks Jeremy Roenick on an all time list. The reason I was wondering was because I read this this list that ranks Roenick as the 58th best player in NHL history.

Was the writer of that list way off, or have I underestimated Roenick's career? Also, any other opinions on the author's list?

Last edited by a moderator:

TvK86

Nov 19, 2010
Seems like I did something wrong with the link.

Last edited by a moderator:

unknown33

Dec 8, 2009
Roenick was picked #355 in the last ATD.

The writers of this list was way off.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Roenick has always been a tireless self promoter. It is natural for people to see a player who is constantly overexposed and assume they are better than what they really are. Roenick is far from a sure-fire HHOFer among the actual objective people who saw him play. But he gets brownie points for NHL94 and commercials he was in and soundbites. To the casual fan, it makes it seem like Roenick was better in the NHL landscape. But he wasn't.

He would open the door for some questionable picks if he ever got into the HHOF. There is no way even through bribery that Roenick should be #58 of all-time. I can't be sure of this, but I am guessing a player like Marcel Dionne would be around that area and Roenick is nowhere near him.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Roenick has always been a tireless self promoter. It is natural for people to see a player who is constantly overexposed and assume they are better than what they really are. Roenick is far from a sure-fire HHOFer among the actual objective people who saw him play. But he gets brownie points for NHL94 and commercials he was in and soundbites. To the casual fan, it makes it seem like Roenick was better in the NHL landscape. But he wasn't.

He would open the door for some questionable picks if he ever got into the HHOF. There is no way even through bribery that Roenick should be #58 of all-time. I can't be sure of this, but I am guessing a player like Marcel Dionne would be around that area and Roenick is nowhere near him.

Marcel Gionne is ranked 24th, I think.

This is a pretty weird list. Tkachuk is ranked higher than Modano, Datsyuk is 98th...

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
this reminds me of the dany heatley thread a bit.

not to say that heatley and roenick are similar players at all, but they are both guys who at a certain point early in their careers looked like sure hall of famers.

but the interesting question for me is, if heatley's career goes the way i think most of us think it's going to go, is he even going to retire with a better career than roenick did? gut says yes, but depending on how one weights playoff performance, that may not be certain.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver

The orginal link has him too high (probably has a modern bias) and the ATD has him too low (as there seems to be a real lack of accounting for era and level of competition).

He was an extremely good player who got off to a strong start in his 1st 2 seasons then exploded into an extremely good scoring 2 way threat in seasons 3,4,5,6 and seemed well on his way to the HHOF before an injury in the 95 season from which he never recovered his elite status. He still had a good long career after that and still might make the Hall.

From 89-09 he ranked 12th in points, 12 in goals and 19th in assists in the regular season.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/pla...val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=points

In the playoffs he ranked 18th in points, 12th in goals and 28th in assists.

In addition, while not huge at 6 ft 1 inches and 205 lbs he played a tough power game and also with flair.

He might not make the HHOF but he had a better career than some of the players in the Hall to be sure and is more worthy than a recent recipient named Dino.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
The orginal link has him too high (probably has a modern bias) and the ATD has him too low (as there seems to be a real lack of accounting for era and level of competition).

He was an extremely good player who got off to a strong start in his 1st 2 seasons then exploded into an extremely good scoring 2 way threat in seasons 3,4,5,6 and seemed well on his way to the HHOF before an injury in the 95 season from which he never recovered his elite status. He still had a good long career after that and still might make the Hall.

From 89-09 he ranked 12th in points, 12 in goals and 19th in assists in the regular season.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/pla...val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=points

In the playoffs he ranked 18th in points, 12th in goals and 28th in assists.

In addition, while not huge at 6 ft 1 inches and 205 lbs he played a tough power game and also with flair.

He might not make the HHOF but he had a better career than some of the players in the Hall to be sure and is more worthy than a recent recipient named Dino.

You can say that again. I think Roenick would be more worthy than Nieuwendyk, and Nieuwendyk is more worthy than Dino.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
You can say that again. I think Roenick would be more worthy than Nieuwendyk, and Nieuwendyk is more worthy than Dino.

Funny thing is that Joe looked well onto his way into the hall after his 1st 5 seasons as well and doesn't have the changed career path due to injury that Roenick had.

pretty comparable guys but I can see why Joe got in with his Calder and Conn Smythe and he was part of 3 cup teams as well.

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
I agree in terms of skills and individual performance is Roenick for sure better than Dino C. and probably better than Nieuwendyk. But it doesnt change the fact that induction of Roenick would be an induction of very *average* star.

If some of you're tryin' to build an argument for Roenick's induction, then it's mind blowing how most of you agree with non-induction of Bondra. Mindblowing....

Ishdul

Jan 20, 2007
I don't think Roenick should be anywhere near the Hall of Fame (ditto with Nieuwendyk and Ciccarelli) but I'd take him well ahead of Bondra. All 4 are surefire members of the Hall of Very Good, though.

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
I agree in terms of skills and individual performance is Roenick for sure better than Dino C. and probably better than Nieuwendyk. But it doesnt change the fact that induction of Roenick would be an induction of very *average* star.

If some of you're tryin' to build an argument for Roenick's induction, then it's mind blowing how most of you agree with non-induction of Bondra. Mindblowing....

Roenick is just as popular or maybe even more so, as he was in 1994. 20 years being a popular NHL player or former player gets my HOF radar going off. On the other hand Bondra just vanished in Ottawa and have not heard his name in forever (other than in this section)

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
^ So now is the induction to HOF based on big mouth?
Because Roenick did nothing significant after his Blackhawks stint. And to be honest 107 points wasnt something big back in the early 90's...

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto

Why? Bondra was a little better as a pure sniper, but Roenick was better at everything else, and miles better in some notable areas.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Wanna get some fur flying? I think Roenick is very comparable HOF wise with Gilmour

Do tell..............

Nieuwendyk is going to be an awful selection next month. It is silly how he gets in based on his "3 Cups with three different teams". He is no more worthy to get in than Claude Lemieux and in my opinion Lemieux is miles away. This just proves that the HHOF still has the tendency to play favourites which makes me think that Roenick can make it eventually which he shouldn't.

Nieuwy is not a better selection than Ciccarelli at all. I don't even think Roenick is either, but that makes more sense.

We have to get past the myth that Nieuwendyk was a great player worthy of this selection. Its almost as if we've repeated it so often no one even questions it anymore

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Do tell..............

Nieuwendyk is going to be an awful selection next month. It is silly how he gets in based on his "3 Cups with three different teams". He is no more worthy to get in than Claude Lemieux and in my opinion Lemieux is miles away. This just proves that the HHOF still has the tendency to play favourites which makes me think that Roenick can make it eventually which he shouldn't.

Nieuwy is not a better selection than Ciccarelli at all. I don't even think Roenick is either, but that makes more sense.

We have to get past the myth that Nieuwendyk was a great player worthy of this selection. Its almost as if we've repeated it so often no one even questions it anymore

It's one thing to think that Joe isn't a HHOF but to say that Lemieux is miles ahead is just insane, it's not the playoff hall of fame.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Do tell..............

by "we," do you mean the general public? because to my eyes, we've questioned and debunked the nieuwendyk myth so much (on this board at least) that almost no one seriously considers his induction valid.

It's one thing to think that Joe isn't a HHOF but to say that Lemieux is miles ahead is just insane, it's not the playoff hall of fame.

i think by "miles away," he means that claude is miles away from the HHOF, not miles ahead of nieuwendyk.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
by "we," do you mean the general public? because to my eyes, we've questioned and debunked the nieuwendyk myth so much (on this board at least) that almost no one seriously considers his induction valid.

I mean more or less the media. And yes I think the majority of us on here discredit his induction but there are still a few that bring it up as if there is nothing wrong with it.

Steve Simmons in the Toronto Sun I believe is a person who just finds it normal that Nieuwendyk is getting in. Ken Campbell of the Hockey News wrote an article in 2010 explaining why Nieuwendyk should be a first ballot. It is mind boggling.

i think by "miles away," he means that claude is miles away from the HHOF, not miles ahead of nieuwendyk.

Yes, this is what I meant

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
I mean more or less the media. And yes I think the majority of us on here discredit his induction but there are still a few that bring it up as if there is nothing wrong with it.

Steve Simmons in the Toronto Sun I believe is a person who just finds it normal that Nieuwendyk is getting in. Ken Campbell of the Hockey News wrote an article in 2010 explaining why Nieuwendyk should be a first ballot. It is mind boggling.

Yes, this is what I meant

OK my bad that makes more sense.

vecens24

Jun 1, 2009

He's definitely better than 355, but goes around that spot because of the scarcity of wingers and the need to fill a team with 8 wingers and 4 centers. So that's why he goes lower.

But top 100 player ever, he is not.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I always liked Roenick. He was a decent player and one of the guys I wanted to see win a Cup before his career was over. That said is career slipped a lot once he left Chicago, so yeah he's better than the #355 he went in the last ATD but he's lower than the #58 he was ranked at on that list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad