Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
go kim johnsson said:
On Comcast SportsNet this morning:

-deal is "reached" and should be announced in a couple of weeks

-"terrible deal for the players" :propeller

-more about getting the game back on the ice and making sure the NHL saves face with the fans

http://philadelphia.comcastsportsnet.com/media/video/flyers/062205-roenick.wmv

not sure if the link works, it's not working for me

Interesting how it seems that there are more and more players decrying the new deal yet saying it's necessary to save the league. I can't imagine how the NHLPA has any bargaining position left when their members keep saying that it's horrible but they'll pretty much swallow it and move on.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Montrealer said:
Interesting how it seems that there are more and more players decrying the new deal yet saying it's necessary to save the league. I can't imagine how the NHLPA has any bargaining position left when their members keep saying that it's horrible but they'll pretty much swallow it and move on.

That's why the NHLPA is such a dysfunctional family. They need 96% of the players to trust their head negotiator and that wasn't the case from day 1.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
That's why the NHLPA is such a dysfunctional family. They need 96% of the players to trust their head negotiator and that wasn't the case from day 1.

it seems to kind of be a problem with sports in general that the players really don't pay attention to stuff like CBA negotiations, they just hire someone to do it and then sit back. that looks like what basically happened here...then when they noticed things weren't sailing along fine, they get involved and still end up with a crap deal

if the players took more of an interest in these things and represented themselves better, things would probably work out for them better

barnburner

Apr 23, 2004
go kim johnsson said:

Perhaps what they need is a head negotiator that they can trust... :)

barnburner

Apr 23, 2004
go kim johnsson said:
On Comcast SportsNet this morning:

-deal is "reached" and should be announced in a couple of weeks

-"terrible deal for the players" :propeller

-more about getting the game back on the ice and making sure the NHL saves face with the fans

http://philadelphia.comcastsportsnet.com/media/video/flyers/062205-roenick.wmv

not sure if the link works, it's not working for me

I liked his comments about "it doesn't matter who wins or loses the bargaining", it's more important to rebuild faith with the fans".

A year late I would say...

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
If the deal truly does suck for the players, were just going to be in a strike when this CBA is over. Why cant both sides just find middle ground without trying to squeeze and screw everything out of eachother. This is what I said at the beginning of this lockout, I hope no one side totally defeats the other side, because were just going to be RIGHT back where we started in a few years.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
barnburner said:
Perhaps what they need is a head negotiator that they can trust... :)

Why do you think Mike Gartner was brought in. People here wanted him from the start because he was a former player, a guy who knew hockey even though he wasn't really in a negotiator position until after the season ended. I think his title has something to do with being the treasurer.

Mike Gartner knows more about the NHL and hockey than Bettman and Goodenow put together.

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
barnburner said:
I liked his comments about "it doesn't matter who wins or loses the bargaining", it's more important to rebuild faith with the fans".

True, but JR has been saying that for a while. He's been pretty vocal about just getting a deal done.

FlyersFan10*

barnburner said:

Roenick has been saying that for how many years now? He seems to be one of the few out there that "get it." Why this man isn't on the NHLPA negotiating committee is beyond me. I think what you'll also see when the CBA is signed and ratified is that there will be a new negotiating committee as well. While Goodenow may be villified on here, let's not forget that guys like Linden, Guerin, Boughner, Damphousse, Alfredsson, etc.....all have some accountability as well on this.

chiavsfan

I don't expecte anything else from JR...he complained about everything from day one here in Chicago...complained in Phoenix, and complained in Phili

If this deal is as "done" as everyone keeps saying, why do they keep needing these "couple of weeks" to announce

SENSible1*

PeterSidorkiewicz said:
If the deal truly does suck for the players, were just going to be in a strike when this CBA is over. Why cant both sides just find middle ground without trying to squeeze and screw everything out of eachother. This is what I said at the beginning of this lockout, I hope no one side totally defeats the other side, because were just going to be RIGHT back where we started in a few years.

The players will take a big hit to start the CBA, but there was no other option.

By the end of the CBA the players will see the benefit in having their % tied to increasing revenues and will want only minor modifications to the deal. There will be NO strike coming out of this CBA based on how one-sided this one turns out.

FlyersFan10*

chiavsfan said:
If this deal is as "done" as everyone keeps saying, why do they keep needing these "couple of weeks" to announce

Simple. The NHLPA will go over the deal with it's union membership and then vote on ratification. I'm guessing that they will want every player to get together for this as it is going to be a ground breaking agreement. I'm thinking that the vote is going to be real tight and that the players who vote to reject the deal will be the same players who were involved in the lockout back in 1994. This is going to be close.

Ditto the owners. The NHL will go over the deal in full details with the owners and a ratification vote will be held once it is completed. The nice thing is that I can only possibly see two owners who might have a problem with this deal (Jacobs being one because it isn't a hard cap or a specific number and Wurtz for the same reason). However, if the big boys in Philadelphia, Detroit, Toronto, and New York wanted to play rough, they could easily do so. This is going to be an interesting period.

Ratification always takes the longest because owners are going to make sure that the deal will be air tight and idiot proof as much as possible. As for the players, they are going to look for any kind of loophole they can find to exploit the agreement for what it's worth.

SPARTAKUS*

Thunderstruck said:
The players will take a big hit to start the CBA, but there was no other option.

By the end of the CBA the players will see the benefit in having their % tied to increasing revenues and will want only minor modifications to the deal. There will be NO strike coming out of this CBA based on how one-sided this one turns out.
You're bang on thunderstruck, the players will see in the long haul

that "linkage" is a good thing for them and the league.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Thunderstruck said:

While I agree there will be no strike...ever, I would like to see what your crystal ball says if in fact the owners don't make as much money as they think they will and the revenue is down.

"It's not going to happen" is not an answer.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
chiavsfan said:
I have this feeling in the pit of my stomach, that the players will reject the deal (because of pure idiocy) and we go back to the courts

If you're thinking about impasse, that went out the window a long time ago.

if both the negeotiating sides reach a deal before a potential ratification doesn't pass, the courts will go tell them to screw off and get it done.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
It doesn't necessarily have to be linkage. If the owners win on basically EVERY issue on the CBA, and the players don't really get anything because it seemed like both sides motives were to destroy the other side and not bargain, then I could see a strike at the end of this CBA too. This is just speculation though that its an awful deal for the players all around. That's why I kept saying I want a fair deal so we can avoid this mess for a very long time.

SENSible1*

go kim johnsson said:
While I agree there will be no strike...ever, I would like to see what your crystal ball says if in fact the owners don't make as much money as they think they will and the revenue is down.

"It's not going to happen" is not an answer.

If revenues are still down in 6 years, then the league will be in big enough trouble that the PA would be crazy to strike. I think the PA has learned a harsh lesson about cutting off their nose to spite their face. The next PA leader is going to have an impossible task if he tries to sell his membership on the benefits of a labour war with the NHL.

SPARTAKUS*

chiavsfan said:
Not impasse...but more legal wrangling...a lawsuit here and there over petty issues
The players want to play next season it's that simple. Several players has spoken in recent weeks and said that they want to play hockey next season period. So don't worry this deal will be ratify by the players and the owners. The war is over.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
Thunderstruck said:
If revenues are still down in 6 years, then the league will be in big enough trouble that the PA would be crazy to strike.

No kidding. I would expect the league to call it a day and fold up all the franchises if it comes to that. At that point the union will cease to exist as well.

X0ssbar

PeterSidorkiewicz said:
It doesn't necessarily have to be linkage. If the owners win on basically EVERY issue on the CBA, and the players don't really get anything because it seemed like both sides motives were to destroy the other side and not bargain, then I could see a strike at the end of this CBA too. This is just speculation though that its an awful deal for the players all around. That's why I kept saying I want a fair deal so we can avoid this mess for a very long time.

I don't think it will be an awful deal for the players - they will still be millionaires and if they play their cards right and help rebuild this league then everyone prospers.

..but your right, the PR departments for both sides need to put the proper spin on this thing and come out of this saying that its a fair deal. I truly think that in five years this will prove to be a fair deal and it will be the framework the NHL needed to function in this day in age in professional sports. Time will tell I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->