Jeremy Roenick got a podcast....

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Yeah, maybe they should pick players out of a hat.

Don't get me wrong, I usually watch maybe 5 minutes of the NHL All star game before tuning out, but with 3-on-3, I may last a little longer this year. Not much longer though.

All major sports all star games leave a lot to be desired.

It is because of information/exposure overload IMO. Back in the day we were excited to see stars that we never or rarely saw play. Now I can watch any team's games or at the very least get extended highlights of any team any sport.

It's taken away the thrill of an All Star Game.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
If Scott fiasco is worthy of anger from JR certainly he will call out the many players who when voted in have elected not to go

Eventually the NHL had to force them by threat of suspension

Nicely done. I was waiting for that in the podcast. Funny players willing to eat a suspension, and potentially risk 2pts to their team just to ditch the ASG. How about an org like Detroit that tolerated it? I don't really care one way or the other, the ASG should be in September or June anyway.

To the post about Roenick being a Don Cherry type, I completely agree and I fear for the general knowledge and perspective of hockey fans that choose to listen to him.

I like when JR runs around the crowd at the outdoor games and talks to fans, I'm not sure I think it's a good idea to give him a microphone to express his other hockey thoughts.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
It is because of information/exposure overload IMO. Back in the day we were excited to see stars that we never or rarely saw play. Now I can watch any team's games or at the very least get extended highlights of any team any sport.

It's taken away the thrill of an All Star Game.

This is a very good point I hadn't thought of.

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI
If Scott fiasco is worthy of anger from JR certainly he will call out the many players who when voted in have elected not to go

Eventually the NHL had to force them by threat of suspension

Holy crap now that i did'nt know, i have only seen a couple or 3 in my life, not my kind of thing but the 3 on 3 would be interesting.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
This podcast is hilarious.... "who started this Scott nonsense" well the main HF NHL board started it lol...

This site is the the 4chan of hockey.. :laugh:

I have to agree with JR....

Yea, teenagers from the main board are responsible for this John Scott nonsense...

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Nicely done. I was waiting for that in the podcast. Funny players willing to eat a suspension, and potentially risk 2pts to their team just to ditch the ASG. How about an org like Detroit that tolerated it? I don't really care one way or the other, the ASG should be in September or June anyway.

To the post about Roenick being a Don Cherry type, I completely agree and I fear for the general knowledge and perspective of hockey fans that choose to listen to him.

I like when JR runs around the crowd at the outdoor games and talks to fans, I'm not sure I think it's a good idea to give him a microphone to express his other hockey thoughts.

Sure JR can be over the top. That's how he got the gig - like Cherry, that's his shtick. However it's pompous of some who think they know more about the game then a player who played in the NHL at a high level.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Sure JR can be over the top. That's how he got the gig - like Cherry, that's his shtick. However it's pompous of some who think they know more about the game then a player who played in the NHL at a high level.

Nobody claimed to know more. I have no doubt his pool of knowledge runs laps around mine.
I'm claiming he's terrible at passing along useful hockey perspective.
Like Gripes, he's good for trainwreck appeal and colorful commentary, but he's not making the fans any smarter about the game, the players, coaches, or management.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
I blame the NHL for this John Scott thing. It's not a few media types or a board. It's a bad part of the NHL product. If this sideshow was in June or September, then I would start passing blame to anybody outside of the NHL.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Nobody claimed to know more. I have no doubt his pool of knowledge runs laps around mine.
I'm claiming he's terrible at passing along useful hockey perspective.
Like Gripes, he's good for trainwreck appeal and colorful commentary, but he's not making the fans any smarter about the game, the players, coaches, or management.

I disagree. Both guys need to be colorful in that position, of course, but obviously they also know the game. I haven't seen a lot of Roenick as a commentator, but I can tell you that as over the top as Cherry's commentary can be, he knows the "game within the game" very well and within all that pomp offers some good insight into what takes place on and off the ice.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I blame the NHL for this John Scott thing. It's not a few media types or a board. It's a bad part of the NHL product. If this sideshow was in June or September, then I would start passing blame to anybody outside of the NHL.

The NHL had good intentions by getting the (real) fans involved in voting, but ...... we all know the rest, there are a-holes everywhere and they flourish in the anonymity of the internet.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
I disagree. Both guys need to be colorful in that position, of course, but obviously they also know the game. I haven't seen a lot of Roenick as a commentator, but I can tell you that as over the top as Cherry's commentary can be, he knows the "game within the game" very well and within all that pomp offers some good insight into what takes place on and off the ice.

I agree he's colorful and more fun compared to most analysts. He, like Cherry, have value in entertainment. I don't think they make hockey fans any smarter about the game. They've done nothing to gain my trust that they've kept up with changes in the game from the player or coach perspective during a game. Even the game within the game isn't the same.

I'm glad people enjoy them, I prefer somebody else.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
The NHL had good intentions by getting the (real) fans involved in voting, but ...... we all know the rest, there are a-holes everywhere and they flourish in the anonymity of the internet.

I agree. I think the league has given them every reason to vote for clowns too. It's just a bad event that doesn't serve any purpose like it used to.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I agree he's colorful and more fun compared to most analysts. He, like Cherry, have value in entertainment. I don't think they make hockey fans any smarter about the game. They've done nothing to gain my trust that they've kept up with changes in the game from the player or coach perspective during a game. Even the game within the game isn't the same.

I'm glad people enjoy them, I prefer somebody else.

Shaw Center Ice tends to show the out of town feeds for many of the Hawk games and believe me there are a whole slew of bad commentators, but not all of them. Eddie O and Pat get a lot of flak around here but there are far worse. The analyst I like is Denis Potvin.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
^Don't be too confident in our main board. It was Marek vs. Wyshynski and the Steve Dangle Podcast that started it.

This isn't the first time this has happened obviously...

Who started it doesn't matter IMO, one can bet 90% of the votes getting Scott elected to the ASG came from the HF main forum.... Some of these kids were voting 100 times a day for Scott...

IDK.... Let them eat cake. :laugh:

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Shaw Center Ice tends to show the out of town feeds for many of the Hawk games and believe me there are a whole slew of bad commentators, but not all of them. Eddie O and Pat get a lot of flak around here but there are far worse. The analyst I like is Denis Potvin.

I pick out a number of teams to watch heavily every year, I enjoy many the broadcasts but they are LOCAL. The fun-bad appeal is there. They're much different than national since they're part of the business plan. Olczyk is excellent, but he was a completely different analyst for Chicago in 08 or 09 (very 'Rah Rah) than he was in 11 or 12' (willing to through Kane under the bus) because the direction/model for the franchise changed. At the same time was very similar for national games throughout in my opinion.

Anyway, I would think JR would do very well with direction and all the "BOOYAH" of say Nashville's crew. Give him a focused theme or storyline to hype up. When he goes 'big picture' on the game of hockey, an individual play, or an individual player, he's absolutely brutal in my opinion. Get JR to work for a local broadcast, get him away from the national audience until he learns how to take a breath before giving us his take.

Just my 7 or 8 cents, all pennies.

STC

Oct 29, 2012
JR is way off on the John Scott ordeal. If he wants to point fingers for what made the all-star game a mockery, he should point the fingers at the players who've never put an honest effort in to the game. That is what made the all-star game a mockery.

Agree, but in JR's defense he is basically the only player in NHL history who actually tried in all star games. Remember the year he threw a big hit on someone? Forgot who but it was the only hit I've ever seen in an all star game (other than Pete Rose taking out that catcher 100 years ago, but different sport and I sound really old).

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
To add insult to injury for the NHL, it is reported that John Scott was sent to the the minors yesterday.

I suppose it will make a good trivia question one day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad