Boston Globe Jeremy Jacobs's sons explain why family waited to set up relief fund for TD Garden workers

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Economics and optics

The Jacobs get the economics- how to allocate capital and preserve net worth. It's a strict numerical exercise ...linear and black and white in decision making

The optics part is where they fall off a cliff. The nuances and the need to balance objective and subjective considerations is a mystery to them.

They figure- and probably rightly so- that as long as the team is winning all of this will blow over and revenues will continue to rise. So who cares about a little bad press, it's just a small bump on the road to bigger profits

in other words, why treat people the right way when you don’t have to...

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
in other words, why treat people the right way when you don’t have to...

When I read this it brought to mind something my dad said to me when I was a teenager oh so long ago.
"Wally just because you may have the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do. You enter and leave this world with only one thing. Your own good name. Don't tarnish it".

God, I miss that man.................

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
When I read this it brought to mind something my dad said to me when I was a teenager oh so long ago.
"Wally just because you may have the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do. You enter and leave this world with only one thing. Your own good name. Don't tarnish it".

God, I miss that man.................

my son is 16 and I’m trying to impart some wisdom on him, sometimes he seems to be listening but most of the time he doesn’t....

one thing I’ve always lived by is, your word means everything, if you tell someone you’re going to do something, it’s getting done...

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
I wonder when I think about people like the Jacobs

Does their success lead them to ignore basic values

Or does their lack of values help enable their success

Either way it's a sad story and not one for people to look up to and replicate

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
my son is 16 and I’m trying to impart some wisdom on him, sometimes he seems to be listening but most of the time he doesn’t....

one thing I’ve always lived by is, your word means everything, if you tell someone you’re going to do something, it’s getting done...

Keep talking. I have been shocked by people coming back to me years after saying something to them and thought they just shrugged it off when in fact it stuck with them and had a profound effect.

Seeds grow in silence.
Keep planting.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Once again a day late and a dollar short.

The Jacobs family lacks credibility with the public due to past missteps. They needed to get way out in front of this but they didn't so nobody is willing to give them the benefit of the doubt now. Either they have failed to grasp that they have a credibility problem or they just don't give a damn.

Too bad so sad. f*** them.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
My opinion of the Jacobs family is very well known to just about everyone here.

However, if I were Jeremy Jacobs, I would fire whoever is in charge of public relations. This whole situation has been an abomination, but there HAS to be a way they could have saved themselves at least a little embarrassment.

They really don’t understand a thing about their employees or customers.

Most businesses at least pretend to care.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Wow, you guys are all real heroes. Easy to spend other people’s money, huh? They just told you Delaware North isn’t liquid. So, I suppose the cash should come directly out of the owners’ bank accounts? Or should they risk the long-term health of the company by jumping the gun and promising cash without working out the numbers? Unlike our government, companies can’t print money and do worry about profit...and debt, specifically when money is no longer coming in.

Be glad the Bruins are owned by a business savvy family instead of the myriad of pissant owners teams like the Coyotes have cycled through.

Never mind the jobs they created, right? Never mind the money when the money was good. Once you give somebody something, you can never take it away. Bottom line: there’s no work. They don’t owe anybody a dime.

Many, many other companies with less are taking care of employees in these times.

Spare the "don't owe anybody a dime" crap.

Same as professional athletes, there is always a spotlight and a pedestal to be a leader in society.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
“Much will be required of the person entrusted with much, and still more will be demanded of the person entrusted with more.”

My wife and I try very hard to live this, and it’s a choice we freely make. We all know very well that not everyone ascribes to this principle.

Last edited:

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Yes, much like Ed Gein.

8f455021a74db71a78d8b1a0fdf305f4.jpg

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Wow, you guys are all real heroes. Easy to spend other people’s money, huh? They just told you Delaware North isn’t liquid. So, I suppose the cash should come directly out of the owners’ bank accounts? Or should they risk the long-term health of the company by jumping the gun and promising cash without working out the numbers? Unlike our government, companies can’t print money and do worry about profit...and debt, specifically when money is no longer coming in.

Be glad the Bruins are owned by a business savvy family instead of the myriad of pissant owners teams like the Coyotes have cycled through.

Never mind the jobs they created, right? Never mind the money when the money was good. Once you give somebody something, you can never take it away. Bottom line: there’s no work. They don’t owe anybody a dime.
The underlined is bullshit. Yes the Coyotes are owned by a bad owner, in a terrible market that should not have hockey and has never supported hockey. Boston is an original 6 market that even in the early 60's when the Bruins were pathetic outdrew the Celtic dynasty and sold out regularly. That stopped when Jacobs and Sinden ran this team into the ground, wringing every possible penny out of the fan base and putting a barely NHL caliber team on the ice. If the fans had kept going do not think for one second JJ would have changed ONE F*CKING THING, they would be the Coyotes or Senators.

Fans stopped going, season tickets fell to below 3,000 and all of a sudden Sinden was gone and the Bruins were bringing in outside front office people instead of the years of fire coach, fail in playoffs, rinse, repeat. If the Fleece center was sold out for those last place teams with such celebrated talent as Andrei Kovalenko, Dixon Ward, Hal Gill and Mikko Eloranta JJ would have stayed the course and saved even more money, with college nights and two for one nights and Dropkick Murphys post game concerts and Please come watch us nights. Bruins fans had had enough, stopped going (including me) and JJ made a business decision to invest in the team or his concessions sales would continue to suffer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim

Mar 11, 2002
Rochester NY
The underlined is bullshit. Yes the Coyotes are owned by a bad owner, in a terrible market that should not have hockey and has never supported hockey. Boston is an original 6 market that even in the early 60's when the Bruins were pathetic outdrew the Celtic dynasty and sold out regularly. That stopped when Jacobs and Sinden ran this team into the ground, wringing every possible penny out of the fan base and putting a barely NHL caliber team on the ice. If the fans had kept going do not think for one second JJ would have changed ONE F*CKING THING, they would be the Coyotes or Senators.

Fans stopped going, season tickets fell to below 3,000 and all of a sudden Sinden was gone and the Bruins were bringing in outside front office people instead of the years of fire coach, fail in playoffs, rinse, repeat. If the Fleece center was sold out for those last place teams with such celebrated talent as Andrei Kovalenko, Dixon Ward, Hal Gill and Mikko Eloranta JJ would have stayed the course and saved even more money, with college nights and two for one nights and Dropkick Murphys post game concerts and Please come watch us nights. Bruins fans had had enough, stopped going (including me) and JJ made a business decision to invest in the team or his concessions sales would continue to suffer.
Jacobs did exactly what he said he would do: hold the line until their was cap certainty. Has he grossly underspent since the salary cap?

The same fans that moan about exorbitant prices show no care for exorbitant costs. Jagr had an $11 million/season contract in 2001. It took almost 20 years for that to come back around (was McDavid first?) and even then people thought it was crazy. Imagine where this league would be right now if Jacobs and a few others didn’t hold that line. Edmonton’s going to pay McDavid, what?....$30 million/season? No chance, but the Rangers would.

Butt-hurt about a few years with a lousy roster? Sounds spoiled to me. Talk to some of the other franchises that blow annually for a decade and have no history to fall back on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Five Hole

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Jacobs did exactly what he said he would do: hold the line until their was cap certainty. Has he grossly underspent since the salary cap?

The same fans that moan about exorbitant prices show no care for exorbitant costs. Jagr had an $11 million/season contract in 2001. It took almost 20 years for that to come back around (was McDavid first?) and even then people thought it was crazy. Imagine where this league would be right now if Jacobs and a few others didn’t hold that line. Edmonton’s going to pay McDavid, what?....$30 million/season? No chance, but the Rangers would.

Butt-hurt about a few years with a lousy roster? Sounds spoiled to me. Talk to some of the other franchises that blow annually for a decade and have no history to fall back on.
I've already been warned about a response I gave you. I'll block you and that will be the end of it. We will disagree and I'm pretty sure, on a rare occasion, I have majority support regarding Monty Burns, the walking embodiment of evil.

All I will say is I usually support the "bad" guys, the Dale Hunters, Tom Wilson's, etc. But even I can't support a being like JJ

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

CharaBadSenyshynGawd

Jun 18, 2017
Lots of bitching by people who likely walk by dozens of homeless people every day without batting an eye.

all of these workers are entitled to unemployment.

people complaining about the Jacobs just to complain. Probably the same people complaining that Zuckerberg “only donated 25 million”

off the high horse, old folks

Reactions: Five Hole

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
No high horses from most people here...rather spot-on commentary

Can't help but notice how some people defer to what about or broad generalizations when they should follow this advice ...when you are in a hole, stop digging

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Lots of bitching by people who likely walk by dozens of homeless people every day without batting an eye.

people complaining about the Jacobs just to complain. Probably the same people complaining that Zuckerberg “only donated 25 million”

It was not the best way to handle the situation. He needs to hire Krafts public relations crew. Bruins have a plane as well or at least they did maybe he sold it.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
It was not the best way to handle the situation. He needs to hire Krafts public relations crew. Bruins have a plane as well or at least they did maybe he sold it.

Better yet, hire the Celtics public relations team. Wyc Grosbeck has managed to win the least amount of trophies and yet be the best owner in Boston Sports atm almost by default. I know some will argue Robert is but his handling of the Orchids of Asia thing and his recent sniping at Brady because he hasn't gotten over the Parcells mess has kind of soured him some. Not by a lot but enough to where its noticeable. Meanwhile John Henry and the Jacobs can't do anything but shoot themselves in the foot.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Stories like this make me want to throw whatever is in closest reach of me against a brick wall and destroy things with a sledgehammer out of blind rage (and yes I am being a lot of bit hyperbolic but work with me here). There just seems to be no end to the absurdity that is the Jacob family buffoonery and it just gets worse year by year. They call the Red Sox fans the fellowship of the miserable, the Bruins have managed to top that big time with the way the owners of this team continue to spit in the face of the fan base and now their own employees and just expect us all to take it. It's just gross and I hope they lose more money in the stock market as punishment for their greed.

Reactions: Fenian24

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

Yep. Just to complain, in these difficult times.

Reactions: EvilDead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->