Jeremy Jacobs sends a strong signal Houston is next but relocation is unlikely

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
By no means do all 31 owners have equal say. Jeremy Jacobs and a few others run this league, for better or worse.

All you need is more than 1/4 of the owners to be against expanding again. Once Seattle joins you basically need is 9 owners against and relocation is the only option.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
All you need is more than 1/4 of the owners to be against expanding again. Once Seattle joins you basically need is 9 owners against and relocation is the only option.
Yes, yes... That's it. An owner is going to uproot a team and spend hundreds of millions to move to another city, because "its the only option".

2k6kwn.jpg

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

You grossly underestimate the clout Jeremy Jacobs carries.

That’s like the NFL owners trying to tell Jerry Jones how things work.

Reactions: bigbuffalo313

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
The NHL doesn't really exist as an entity as most people think it does.

The owners/governors of the NHL aren't going to do anything an owner of a team doesn't want to do unless it benefits all the other owners, since the owners ARE the NHL. Moving the Coyotes to Houston doesn't do anything for the owners of the Maple Leafs or any other team with the exception of potentially raising league-wide HRR, and even then it's not a huge difference on a per-team basis and only really matters for salary cap calculations.

100% spot on, love it.

Did the megathread manifested itself in this thread? :)

Unless Mr. Feritta wants to pony up enough for the league to consider expanding to 33, they're watching on the sidelines.

I’m firmly in favor of having “irrelevant” threads that continue on for eternity just because people LIKE talking about them:

Realignment / Schedule Matrix Ideas and Conjecture
(Insert Team Here) Relocation Conjecture Talk.

We’re never going to be able to talk about the realistic situations in markets without those “unrealistic desires” coming up from the posters that have them.

We’d be better off MOVING those kinds of posts into the “Concepts & Conjecture” threads than simply shutting down threads that slip into conjecture, begging people to get back on topic, etc.

I’m not being critical of admins/mods or trying to create more work for other people (Love the site, never leaving, don’t wanna be banned). I’m just saying it’s ironic that this conversation has spiraled from “New Comments on Houston” to “14 years of the Coyotes on their deathbed, so despite reports of the contrary, move them to Houston!” because we allow threads of “New Comments on Houston” but shut down threads of “despite reports to the contrary, move them to Houston.”

I think the separate “Coyotes Conjecture” thread (or Conjecture subforum) could totally work because - it should surprise no one that I ALSO enjoy - a forum devoted to talking about college sports conference realignment. It’s a much smaller community, obviously. But they have a “Dream Conferences (for Fun)” thread because it prevents long-winded posters like me from saying “You know what I WISH would happen? (353 teams divided differently)” in every thread. So I think it could work.

Just a thought.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
No, but it does serve as a good example of why the megathread got put on hiatus to begin with.

"Jeremy Jacobs says relocation is unlikely" somehow gets twisted around to become "Coyotes are being relocated"
Agree with that, megathread is dead until there's news that warrants it to re-open.

When is that?

To quote Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart, "...I know it when I see it..."

In other words, if you have to ask, it's not time.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Also, relocation threads are going to include a fair amount of Coyotes talk regardless of the initial topic of the thread. Despite their ability to stick around and do things other teams do, they've also got some baggage that's hard to shed that leads people to consider relocation. Short of them making a Stanley Cup run and the Phoenix area catching Yotes fever, they're going to be your top candidate. Even then, you're not going to get off from the "can they maintain this level of attendance?" threads.

If Coyotes relocation possibilities aren't for you, this likely isn't the place for you. We, as a group, have just decided we don't need a thread for every little piece of information that comes up regarding them anymore.

Yes, promotions happen in Arizona, but a lot of teams do those and don't have threads to discuss why they stink for doing them. Now Arizona doesn't either.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Just a thought.

The thing is, there is nothing at all keeping people from having those threads in another forum on HF. Like the main boards. Or the Lounge, perhaps. But as this forum has pretensions, or maybe aspirations is better term, of being a rather serious, academic source of information and discussion, it's not appropriate to have to read "C0Y0TEEze M00000vvvve!!11!" every few hours, unless it's justified. Which it's not.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
The thing is, there is nothing at all keeping people from having those threads in another forum on HF. Like the main boards. Or the Lounge, perhaps. But as this forum has pretensions, or maybe aspirations is better term, of being a rather serious, academic source of information and discussion, it's not appropriate to have to read "C0Y0TEEze M00000vvvve!!11!" every few hours, unless it's justified. Which it's not.

I spend 98% of my time in this BOH forum, so I probably didn't realize that. Carry on.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011

DOM,

As a point of perspective, try this....

I came here about 7 years ago, when things in Phoenix and Glendale were high drama. I watched the stream here of the Glendale City Council voting 4-3 to grant the Yotes their 15M/yr AMF (subsidy). I read with interest of the things that occured near and after that time in Quebec City.

And.....I have read most of what has been written here in the last 2 years.

My conclusion:
This is still the place for real discussions. Unfortunately, two things have happened.
One, there is less to discuss (which seems odd given that Vegas and Seattle have entered the league more or less since then).

Two, also, this board is increasingly populated by people with a vested interest in the results. That has made it difficult for me to get answers to questions about Seattle, for example, because some posters want to argue rather than offer well-reasoned thought. That makes me disappointed. This should not be the place for argument or for fan-boys and -girls. This is the place for real data. "Because I said" has no place here.

You will note, of course, the absence of people like Casual Fan and a few others from 5 years ago. People with real-world minds and experience. I miss them. I wonder if they have left for the reasons I mentioned.

And, as always, I attempt to add my reason and figures to everything I post - hence all my numbers on the Yotes losses. I feel that's fair.

So, in one way, I agree with you. This board has changed, and not necessarily for the better.

Reactions: Llama19

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I will grant you the board has changed somewhat and especially in the last 15 months as Fugu was spending less time here. She understood business far better than most of us as she earned an MBA from a prestigious school ironically located in Glendale, AZ.

In theory, based on what Jacobs said, Arizona should not be part of this thread as he didn't see relocation as all teams are doing well. However, he is still gushing over Houston.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
All this talk of franchise valuations and what individuals are willing to pay....meanwhile the Pittsburgh Penguins have sat on the market for 2 years with a reported asking price of $700 million with no interested buyers.

Bookie21

Dec 26, 2017
All this talk of franchise valuations and what individuals are willing to pay....meanwhile the Pittsburgh Penguins have sat on the market for 2 years with a reported asking price of $700 million with no interested buyers.
Mario pulled the team off the market over a year ago

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

The NHL is setting the expansion price for Seattle for a reported $650 million.

upload_2018-10-16_1-35-14.png

upload_2018-10-16_1-36-25.png

It is doubtful that any of the teams at the top of the list will be sold anytime soon.

The teams at the top of the list all share one common denominator, lucrative local cable TV deals. But there is a big dark cloud on the horizon and it is the cord cutting millennials. Using Boston as an example NESN is getting $4.12 a month from everyone that has basic cable but more and more are walking away from cable. In my home city of Cambridge, MA, Xfinity has lost 4,000 cable homes since 2011.

The problem facing owners down the road is keeping local media revenue coming in BUT they have to retrench and no longer expect that people who never watch sports will tolerate paying a fee for it.

Here is what I pay Xfinity every month. In Cambridge, MA I am stuck with Xfinity as the city blocked competition from RCN and Verizon from doing business in the city concerning broadband

upload_2018-10-16_2-37-33.png

upload_2018-10-16_2-39-33.png

So they nail me for $9.95 a month to get NHL Network, NBA TV and NFL Red Zone - MLB Network is considered basic.
THEN they tack on $8 a month for local OTA channels
FINALLY another $6.75 so I can get NESN and NBC Sports Boston :help:

Everybody has to pay the $14.75 for OTA and Regional Sports on top of their bundle.

Compounding this is most internet savvy cord cutters who love sports can easily find every NHL ( and any other sport ) without paying a penny.

I can easily see the NHL doing one more expansion cash grab to make it 34 teams because the current RSN formula is doomed.

Last edited:
Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Agree with that, megathread is dead until there's news that warrants it to re-open.

When is that?

To quote Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart, "...I know it when I see it..."

In other words, if you have to ask, it's not time.

@Llama19 - Fugu's last input at BoH was to put the Coyotes megathread on hiatus. When something happens it will be reopened.

I think in the end Jerry Reinsdorf will broker a deal to get the Suns and Coyotes to agree to be 50/50 partners on a new downtown arena similar to what happened in Chicago.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Ottawa has to be on the possible relocation list and Quebec being the most likely place.
Was Jacobs happy to have the whalers out of New England when they left in the 90s. If the flames move to Houston Daryl Katz would have all of Alberta to Pull from

Last edited:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Was Jacobs happy to have the whalers out of New England when they left in the 90. If they flames move to Houston Daryl Katz would have all of Alberta to Pull from
that had nothing to do with Boston, js, that's on state government in Connecticut and the CT DRA....

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
@Llama19 - Fugu's last input at BoH was to put the Coyotes megathread on hiatus. When something happens it will be reopened.

I think in the end Jerry Reinsdorf will broker a deal to get the Suns and Coyotes to agree to be 50/50 partners on a new downtown arena similar to what happened in Chicago.

no doubt, it's difficult to line up the ducks for these sorts of big agreements and they do take years to materialize but it's still a mystery to me that the league chose the clown path versus the serious buyer path years ago. i can only speculate that bettman wanted to promote a charade of stable local ownership while actually retaining league ownership/control for as long as they could till such a combo deal w/ new arena came along.

paul allen just died at 65yo, reinsdorf is 82, jacobs is 78, jamison is 67, bettman is 66. such long term, stall strategies become more risky when the rich dudes are old.

also, jacobs gleefully took on the pitbull role in protecting this franchise. maybe those serious buyers didnt like him ... do we know if reinsdorf gets along with jacobs?

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011

You mean you think he is going to buy them both? How in the world and why in the world would he do that?

Reactions: Llama19

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Was Jacobs happy to have the whalers out of New England when they left in the 90s. If the flames move to Houston Daryl Katz would have all of Alberta to Pull from

Of course he was happy as he regained control of the New England TV market.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
The NHL doesn't allow or disallow anything. The NHL doesn't really exist as an entity as most people think it does. When the league awards Seattle a franchise, it's not "the league" doing it, it's the owners of the league getting together and opening a 32nd spot that will be filled by Seattle.

The owners/governors of the NHL aren't going to do anything an owner of a team doesn't want to do unless it benefits all the other owners, since the owners ARE the NHL. Moving the Coyotes to Houston doesn't do anything for the owners of the Maple Leafs or any other team with the exception of potentially raising league-wide HRR, and even then it's not a huge difference on a per-team basis and only really matters for salary cap calculations.

"The NHL" talks about the situations in Calgary and Arizona because the owners of Calgary and Arizona want new arenas and it helps to have the full force of the league behind the effort. It's ultimately up to the owners of Calgary and Arizona to decide what to do, and even then, they've got to get the approval of the other owners to move their franchise rights to another market. If the owners of the Flames want to play in the Saddledome until the end of time, they're fine as long as it's a suitable facility that can fulfill the obligations the league has to play games there, namely ice plants, climate control, and x number of seats. The lack of luxury suites isn't a reason to move a team from a league standpoint any more than the inability of a team to sell suites they have is.

Agreed 100%. That said, in no way, shape, or form does the NHL want the NHL out of Arizona either. In their view, they want BOTH Phoenix & Houston given the market sizes. Trading Phoenix for Houston doesn't do the league much good in the grand schemes since it's a relatively even trade (Houston is #8, Phoenix is #12). The rest is just fan wishing.

Reactions: Js96er

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh

As someone else said, the team was pulled off the market.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->