Boston Bruins Jeremy Jacobs - Hockey Hall of Fame acceptance speech

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

"In Boston, we are blessed to have the best sports fans in the world," Jacobs said. "I made the economic investment in the Bruins, but our fans have made the emotional investment. They are the true owners of this Original Six team."

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
It feels wrong that Jacobs is in the HOF.

I mean, normally something like this would be celebrated and look at the chatter in this thread...

Crickets.

I think about how Detroit fans loved their owner... But with this guy it just always felt like a business. Wins and losses were secondary to profit. Not profit and loss. Profit or more profit.

Honestly, feels like the HOF just let Scrooge in.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
It feels wrong that Jacobs is in the HOF.

I mean, normally something like this would be celebrated and look at the chatter in this thread...

Crickets.

I think about how Detroit fans loved their owner... But with this guy it just always felt like a business. Wins and losses were secondary to profit. Not profit and loss. Profit or more profit.

Honestly, feels like the HOF just let Scrooge in.

It's funny, I absolutely do not think he should be in the HOF and think it's embarrassing a secret process put him in there.

But in fairness to Jacobs he paid for his own stadium, unlike billionaire Mike illitch who made his bankrupt city pay for his.

So f*** Mike Illitch in a way I would never say that about Jacobs.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
What I wasn't aware of until last night was Jacobs is now the longest tenured owner in Boston sports history passing Tom Yawkey.

frickinbobby

Sep 21, 2017
blecchh. this particular selection was inappropriate and embarrassing. that's really all there is to say about it without getting personal.

if there was ever an opportunity to go work for the club, the ownership would be one of the real downsides. it would be like being stuck working for Jonathan Kraft without a Robert. no thanks. no effing thanks.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I've been a fan since '77 and I'm not really sure what to think about Jacobs. I used to get pissed I remember when they dealt guys like Fergus and Krushelnyski...There was no internet back then, and I didn't get much coverage of Boston. I was livid when they traded Pederson, but that turned out phenomenal. They always seemed to come up short in the play-offs. I never really thought about them not making moves to get over the top. They ran into the Edmonton dynasty which sucked.

The thing for me that despised Jacobs was the 90's and watching the Colorado's and Detroit's of the world spending and spending to win Stanley Cups.

NHL Team Payrolls, 1994 to 2004 - San Jose Sharks, NY Rangers, All Teams, NHL Team Payrolls

That's just a sample, but that's when I got really bitter.

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
I've been a fan since '77 and I'm not really sure what to think about Jacobs. I used to get pissed I remember when they dealt guys like Fergus and Krushelnyski...There was no internet back then, and I didn't get much coverage of Boston. I was livid when they traded Pederson, but that turned out phenomenal. They always seemed to come up short in the play-offs. I never really thought about them not making moves to get over the top. They ran into the Edmonton dynasty which sucked.

The thing for me that despised Jacobs was the 90's and watching the Colorado's and Detroit's of the world spending and spending to win Stanley Cups.

NHL Team Payrolls, 1994 to 2004 - San Jose Sharks, NY Rangers, All Teams, NHL Team Payrolls

That's just a sample, but that's when I got really bitter.
Harry Sinden was able to hide all the warts that Jacobs could care less about creating. Not paying Geoff Courtnall was a real killer and the player he became was someone who would have put us over the top. Sinden was maybe the smartest GM out there but he was always plugging holes created by Jacobs not wanting to pay guys....If not for Sinden, the team would have spiraled downward much like the Black Hawks did all those years....Hall of fame is a joke.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
The guy is a businessman first and foremost, I guess he helped create the cap which is good for the league, but I don't know how much I necessarily celebrate him restricting the money to the players so he can have more to himself either. He's also a huge reason concession prices are so expensive, because money is what he really cares about. Whatever for his nomination but he isn't going to ever have my appreciation.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Jeremy Jacobs said it exactly right - he made an "economic investment in the Bruins" and thats where it ends. Jacobs isnt emotionally invested - he just cares about the bottom line and making a profit.

Reactions: smithformeragent

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Glad hes OK. When I flipped to NESN last Friday for the Toronto game I assumed the pregame video montage for him had to be posthumous (what other reason would there be for it) but he soon walked on the ice. Nice of him to be the first inductee honored and have a longer tribute for himself than the inductees who got in for playing hockey.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I've never had a problem with Jacobs.

He hired someone who was or at least was supposed to be one of the best minds in the game (Harry Sinden), and he then let Harry Sinden run the team as he saw fit . A lot of anger which should be geared towards Sinden is misdirected at Jacobs in my book

Reactions: bobbyorr04 and DKH

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
Jeremy Jacobs said it exactly right - he made an "economic investment in the Bruins" and thats where it ends. Jacobs isnt emotionally invested - he just cares about the bottom line and making a profit.
It really sucks when business people take that approach:sarcasm:

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Serious question: Are the Bruins going to honor Jacobs for his HOF induction at a home game?

They tried recently. I forget which game - logic would dictate it was the Penguins game, as it was the first one after the induction, but it might have been the Edmonton game - they flashed a brief congratulatory montage. There was enough booing that you'd think they were trying to honor Bettman himself. I don't think he was there - I doubt it, as he spends half his time in Buffalo, and the other half in Florida.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Serious question: Are the Bruins going to honor Jacobs for his HOF induction at a home game?

Nope because he will be booed loudly and rightfully so. I don't think he even got a warm reception for the banner night in 2011.

I was close to forgiving him for the barren years and looking past questionable behavior like orchestrating a lockout or two (and not expecting to crush the players so badly that they took a huge rollback we didn't benefit from not having anyone under contract) or how he has gone about getting his hands on the Bruins/concession services for national parks etc etc. But then the MBTA sold him the parking lot under the Garden and he doubled the price and that all went out the window. Professing his love for all things Buffalo at any chance he gets doesn't endear him to our fans either.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Highatop308

Only took 4 months!
Jun 23, 2010
308, row 15. seat 28
They tried recently. I forget which game - logic would dictate it was the Penguins game, as it was the first one after the induction, but it might have been the Edmonton game - they flashed a brief congratulatory montage. There was enough booing that you'd think they were trying to honor Bettman himself. I don't think he was there - I doubt it, as he spends half his time in Buffalo, and the other half in Florida.

I think it was Pittsburgh. My friend told me it was during the 1st intermission when half the people were in the concourse (including myself) and that Michaela Johnson mentioned it on the jumbotron and he said lot of people booed around him but I was thinking more of a pregame ceremony.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011

ttmar.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad