Confirmed with Link: Jeremy Jacobs gives owership of Bruins to his children

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Rather be a **** than a suck up for a ****** owner

You are absolutely clueless.

JJ, just like every man, has his warts but the good he's done for the communities for both Boston and Buffalo ( both that are in the press and the ones that don't get the press ) far exceeds anything you've ever done for fellow human beings, I can guarantee you that.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Looking at the legacy of Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs - The Boston Globe

Jacobs today is a far softer, more congenial owner than the one who for years acted as if he loathed the Boston media, and left all that work to his then-quotable and oft-irascible general manager, Harry Sinden. Some 30 years ago, Jacobs made his customary visit to Wilmington for the annual Media Day luncheon to kick off a new season. He sat silently, ate quickly, and then made a dash for the door as media members moved in with the hope of asking the elusive owner a question or two.

“Mr. Jacobs, do you have a minute?” asked Dick Trust, then the devoted beat man for the Patriot Ledger, leading the charge of a gaggle of print reporters.

Jacobs offered only, “Not a second” as he walked briskly to the Ristuccia Center doors, all but straight-arming his way by the media.

His decision to step back from his position of sole ownership, noted Jacobs, came most from his desire to keep the team under family control and allow his children to chart the course of its future. It’s a far smoother and calculated decision than when he and a brother took charge of Delaware North upon the death of their father, Lou Jacobs, who founded the company at the start of the 20th century.

“That wasn’t easy,” said Jacobs, chuckling when asked the emotional toll that comes with handing over an asset he governed across five decades. “But my kids are in their late 50s now. They have to have a chance to move this themselves. As long as I am alive, it will continue the way it is now.”

Might the day come when his heirs opt to sell the franchise?

“Not while I’m alive, no,” said Jacobs, who noted he retains a 1 percent ownership interest, and remains the club’s governor for NHL business. “If they do it sometime in the future, that will be theirs [to decide]. And I imagine [potential buyers] will be picking all over it. But they love it.”

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
You are absolutely clueless.

JJ, just like every man, has his warts but the good he's done for the communities for both Boston and Buffalo ( both that are in the press and the ones that don't get the press ) far exceeds anything you've ever done for fellow human beings, I can guarantee you that.
Every one is entitled to an opinion. I do what I can, mostly for animals via volunteering, can only wonder if I had screwed as many people over as Jacob's, namely Bruins fans, to become rich if I would have done all this work you claim Jacob's gas done. I recall hearing very, very little being done in Massachusetts.

Once again how this being Jacobs went from being ,rightly, loathed by this fan base to having so many sycophants for him is amazing.

Reactions: Strafer

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Every one is entitled to an opinion. I do what I can, mostly for animals via volunteering, can only wonder if I had screwed as many people over as Jacob's, namely Bruins fans, to become rich if I would have done all this work you claim Jacob's gas done. I recall hearing very, very little being done in Massachusetts.

Once again how this being Jacobs went from being ,rightly, loathed by this fan base to having so many sycophants for him is amazing.

I'd hope with his power and influence he helps the local community. Most owners in pro sports do this in some form or another. Sports ownership success is based on championships though. That's why Kraft is the most successful owner in pro sports.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
While the article says he's turned the team over to his 6 children and retains 1% ownership for himself, it does not say how the remaining 99% of ownership is allocated among the kids. I'm no fan of JJ but I know he's not stupid. I can't believe he'd divide ownership equally among the kids, it is a nightmare waiting to happen.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
We don't even know how it's going to go... I know the Jacobs hate is running rampant in this thread with hot takes and pants-pissing, but why don't we wait and see how it unfolds?

Nope. Jacobs decided after 40 something years to just throw it up for grabs between his kids and whatever happens happens :laugh:

Why would a guy like that have some sort of plan?

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
We don't even know how it's going to go... I know the Jacobs hate is running rampant in this thread with hot takes and pants-pissing, but why don't we wait and see how it unfolds?

Just throwing out my opinion on a message board. I should be cheering everything Bruins and not dare be critical of anything.

Go Bruins!

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Nope. Jacobs decided after 40 something years to just throw it up for grabs between his kids and whatever happens happens :laugh:

Why would a guy like that have some sort of plan?
Mind boggling really...knowing what we know, and still coming up with that kind of thinking.

Let's gamble the whole empire, just because...

Reactions: Chief Nine

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Hey everyone, Sens fan in Ottawa here and I was wondering:

Six "owners" seems like a lot of cooks in the kitchen. Are Bruins fan concerned about potential disputes between the new owners?

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
What kind of thinking?

It's not like an owner has ever turned a franchise over to his kids and it's gone to %@#£ right?
Let's just put our feelings aside and look at it for what it is... a business, a multi billions empire business.

Until the old men dies, nothing will change, he made sure of that.
JJ is in good health, he'll be around at least another 10 years.
That will bring his "kids" to late 60's, chances are at that age priorities would be preparing to leave it to their kids.

Can you see a pattern here?

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
What kind of thinking?

It's not like an owner has ever turned a franchise over to his kids and it's gone to %@#£ right?

And Jeremy Jacobs is more than likely very well aware of what’s happened in the past and has planned for it.

From what Jacobs has said publicly about the potential for his heirs selling the franchise, it’s a safe bet that he’s got contingencies in place as well that are legally binding after he’s gone.

It’s pretty unlikely that things are setup to be a mess where 6 people have equal power over what can and can’t be done.

The fact that he’s still a governor representing the franchise is a good indicator that he casts a large shadow that will still be present long after he’s gone

Reactions: Spooner st

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Hey everyone, Sens fan in Ottawa here and I was wondering:

Six "owners" seems like a lot of cooks in the kitchen. Are Bruins fan concerned about potential disputes between the new owners?
Actually there's only one chef in each kitchen.
All the other's are share holder's.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
What kind of thinking?

Based on what?
Is it relevant to this organization?
Do you have any insider info on them?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I`m in agreement that too many kids in the sandbox is often a really good recipe for disaster but does anyone know if any of the other siblings of Charlie really pay one bit of attention to the B`s or are they more focused on the other business ventures of Papa? I think if they fall into the latter category maybe they just let Charlie be the eyes and ears on the B`s?

I dunno, not going to worry about it though. For many years I had massive issues with JJ but over the last decade or so, really can`t say I`ve felt the same about him and the family. Seems like he`s been more than willing to spend to the cap without trying to consistently low ball players and/or cut corners at all opportunities

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
Six equal owners is horrendous for running an organization.

This is my concern as well.... I am happy Jeremy isn't the one steering the ship anymore (if he ever really was because he was the most absentee owner ever for a successful franchise.... exact opposite of Kraft) but I'm concerned having 6 different voices... 5 of whom I've never heard of with regards to the Franchise. I'm assuming Charlie will be the head honcho, as he should be, and while I don't think he should ever do any public speaking, at least he seems interested/invested in the team.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Do you seriously think Jacob's got rich screwing over Bruins fans?

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
No, nothing insider. I just think it's common sense to see with that many "owners " involved things could easily go south.
I understand, but if we look at how they operate, how JJ set things up... not only to make sure, but to also control that it'll stay in the family until he dies. Also from what JJ says the "kids" also love the Delaware north Boston holdings including the Boston Bruins, commercial and residential real estate.
That is also a cash cow.

I don't see a problem with having 6 owners. There's the CEO's and there's the share holder's. If one or a few want to sell, Delaware North will buy theirs shares without a second thought.

Maybe JJ has a clause in there that prohibits them to sell unless they all agree. It's all speculation at this point.
But one thing is for sure, the old man knows his family, so I am not worried about the possibility of a shit show about the Bruins.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
I`m in agreement that too many kids in the sandbox is often a really good recipe for disaster but does anyone know if any of the other siblings of Charlie really pay one bit of attention to the B`s or are they more focused on the other business ventures of Papa? I think if they fall into the latter category maybe they just let Charlie be the eyes and ears on the B`s?

I dunno, not going to worry about it though. For many years I had massive issues with JJ but over the last decade or so, really can`t say I`ve felt the same about him and the family. Seems like he`s been more than willing to spend to the cap without trying to consistently low ball players and/or cut corners at all opportunities
Well... all the information is there for the reading.

I know most Bruins fans would love an owner that would be in love with the team. And would be emotional and react like one.

That is not JJ, he loves the Bruins but he his a business man first. That is his job, and he is really good at it.

He sells a service and people have a choice to buy it or not.
Same as any other sports or entertainment event.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->