Confirmed with Link: Jeremy Jacobs gives owership of Bruins to his children

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Well he is 79 years old so now is probably a good time to do it.

I don't expect much to change other than who owns the franchise.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Yeah, didn't he kind of say that last year (or a few years ago) that Charlie was in a bigger role?
Charlie's had a larger role for a few seasons now.

He's hinted about retirement a few times so I guess he finally decided to step aside.

When I first saw the headline I was like "oh shit did he pass away?1" Thankfully that isn't the case.

Say what you will about the man but he's had an incredible career business wise and most importantly, philanthropically.

I wish him all the best.

Reactions: jangerhofer

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Charlie's had a larger role for a few seasons now.

He's hinted about retirement a few times so I guess he finally decided to step aside.

When I first saw the headline I was like "oh **** did he pass away?1" Thankfully that isn't the case.

Say what you will about the man but he's had an incredible career business wise and most importantly, philanthropically.

I wish him all the best.

He kept the family business in Buffalo even though he could have saved millions yearly by relocating to a more tax-friendly state.

Jeremy M. Jacobs (Chairman) - UB Council - University at Buffalo

In 2015, Delaware North celebrated its 100th anniversary, and Mr. Jacobs named his sons -- Jerry Jr., Lou, and Charlie -- as the company’s CEOs. The company also moved into a new global headquarters in downtown Buffalo and has been credited with helping to revitalize the city.

Buffalo is Mr. Jacobs’ lifelong home. His family owned the Calder Cup champion Buffalo Bisons of the American Hockey League, and Mr. Jacobs used his knowledge of team ownership, as well as his expertise in sports concessions, to help Seymour H. Knox III and Northrup Knox establish the Buffalo Sabres NHL franchise in Buffalo.

In 1975, Mr. Jacobs acquired the storied Boston Bruins and the Boston Garden. He commissioned a new, multi-purpose arena that opened in 1995 and is currently home of the Boston Bruins and the Boston Celtics of the NBA and hosts 200 events annually for 3.5 million guests.

In 2003, the Jacobs family founded the Boston Bruins Foundation, a non-profit organization that assists charitable organizations that demonstrate a commitment to enhancing the quality of life for children throughout New England. The foundation provides grants to organizations that meet its mission, concentrating on academics, athletics, community outreach, and health. To date, the foundation has made awards totaling more than $20 million. For their many charitable contributions, the Jacobs family was honored with the St. Jude Award for Inspiration in Sports at the 2013 Global Sports Summit.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I will take a more pleasant avenue than this announcement deserves and just say good riddance and if you have nothing, not one single, solitary nice thing to say then say nothing at all.

chrisab123

Feb 9, 2013
I don't care what happens. The Bruins could never win another game and I'd still say Christmas came early. Bye Bye Burnsie.

Reactions: Fenian24

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I assume this also means that he'll no longer be Chairman of the NHL Board of Governors. That's probably a good thing for the NHL as a whole.

Reactions: Fenian24 and Estlin

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
I don't care what happens. The Bruins could never win another game and I'd still say Christmas came early. Bye Bye Burnsie.
I can't speak for everyone, but while the JJ Era was far from perfect, there were certainly some ups in addition to the downs. That seems preferable to the prospect of going 0-82-0 in perpetuity.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I've said it before I never got the animosity towards Jacobs.

He gave Harry Sinden Cart Blanche to run the team in the way he wanted, and yet still the fans want to blame Jacobs not Sinden for every unpopular thing Sinden ever did.

Jacobs build the new areana with no taxpayer money, in fact he had to pay a taxpayer ransom to the city and state to get it done

Sure blame him for the high concession prices I guess, and maybe the last of options; although it seems like they have certainly tried to improve concessions over the last decade.

I get that he lived in Buffalo, and fans like the home town ownership. I get that he wasn't around much, but at the end of the day I never thought he did anything that deserved him getting booed any time he walks into the arena

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
I can't speak for everyone, but while the JJ Era was far from perfect, there were certainly some ups in addition to the downs. That seems preferable to the prospect of going 0-82-0 in perpetuity.

That period that includes blowing the series against Montreal in 2004 and the subsequent disastrous lockout strategy was a truly dark time, but thankfully they emerged from it, starting on July 1, 2006 with the signings of you-know-who.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

From 1975 to 2007 this team was run with only one thing in mind. Make JJ as much money as possible. Winning didn’t matter, the fans didn’t matter, the city didn’t matter, nothing did except loading up JJ’s pockets with cash. Widely considered one of the worst owners in pro sports and especially in hockey with Bill Wirtz and Harold Ballard as his only rivals for the title. Jacobs plundered Bruins fans at every opportunity. He only started caring about winning when the building was half empty and the season ticket base under 4000. If Boston was Toronto and the fans continued to fill the building they would still suck and JJ still couldn’t be picked out of a lineup by Bruins fans because he only made yearly trips to Boston.

Teams was always a player away but the extra money never spent to get that player, his henchman Sinden making sure he did JJ Corleones dirty work for him. While he may have tried to remake his image in the past few years the damage he did to this team should never be forgiven. EVER.

And this is still nicer than the Devil’s favorite demon deserves. Not enough bad things can happen to JJ, sadly he seems to have avoided all of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad