Player Discussion Jeremy Coupal Appreciation Thread

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Not sure what kind of tag I'm supposed to use so I'll just go with this. This guy just straight up stole the game today. Our video reviews and challenges have been stellar with him on board.
Normally, I would say, "why the hell is there a thread for video guy", but he deserves one! His decisions are gold, Jerry, pure gold!

Jeremy Coupal relaxing in his back yard on his day off.
1679374921287.png

Reactions: oilers'72

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
@DraiWoody posted an interesting clip but I think it was accidentally posted in the Yamamoto thread. Just re-posting here where it will get more notice.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I don't remember the Oilers losing many challenges and it seems the ones they did loose left me thinking "how the hell did that challenge not be accepted". Given how random the NHL can be with its decisions this guy has an amazing record of success.

Reactions: joestevens29

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think you guys are right. According to this site, the Oilers are 6-0 on interference challenges, and 7-1 on offside challenges.
Pretty much everytime there is a challenge the commentating team use to make a comment how it's probably going to be overturned as this guy knows his shit.

I think what is worth noting is how quickly he has to make a decision. It's not like you have 5 minutes to review calls and then call down to the bench

Davo Ikinzom

Nov 28, 2013
Is that what the video review guy's name is?

You shouldn't have expose him, now some other team will steal him.

This guy has no joke literally helped us win multiple games.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
I think you guys are right. According to this site, the Oilers are 6-0 on interference challenges, and 7-1 on offside challenges.

I believe that one miss was the one where they ruled McDavid lost possession mid deke and ruled it offside.

I still think they got that one wrong.

Edit: Nevermind. That challenge would have been initiated by the other team. Derp.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Is that what the video review guy's name is?

You shouldn't have expose him, now some other team will steal him.

This guy has no joke literally helped us win multiple games.
I think he'll eventually be promoted.

I'm sure Woody has a soft spot for him as that's the position Woody started his NHL career as.

Also worth mentioning there are two guys according to Woody that are in the video department. Assuming the other is Noah Segall.

Was quite interesting to listen to Woody describe the team and their role.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I think he'll eventually be promoted.

I'm sure Woody has a soft spot for him as that's the position Woody started his NHL career as.

Also worth mentioning there are two guys according to Woody that are in the video department. Assuming the other is Noah Segall.

Was quite interesting to listen to Woody describe the team and their role.

The only problem with promoting Coupal is he’s as good as anyone in the league at his job. Anyone you hire to replace him is likely a step down. Not to mention, who does he replace? Manson is Woody’s guy, and the organization clearly loves Gulutzan considering he’s been here through 4 coaches now

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The only problem with promoting Coupal is he’s as good as anyone in the league at his job. Anyone you hire to replace him is likely a step down. Not to mention, who does he replace? Manson is Woody’s guy, and the organization clearly loves Gulutzan considering he’s been here through 4 coaches now
I don't think being video means you automatically want to go into coaching. It's kind of a get your foot into the door type of position.

Now he has been doing it for 10 years so maybe he really likes it.

Either way I don't know that he'd be leaving the Oiler organization anytime soon especially for the same job. I mean what can he really make where you couldn't just be like here's an extra 30-50k to stay?

As for replacing him you either look around the league or promote Noah.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad