Jeremy Colliton thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Krupp and Sturm are good. (my opinion) not sure are they good enough thou...
Krupp isn't good enough for the NHL, he couldn't even pull it off in the DEL Winning the league. Good Coach, but just not that Level. Sturm is/was AC in LA. That's more a role for him. Don't know a current Coach in Germany that should get a shot in the NHL.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
I can suggest Finns, but there are plenty of Swedes and Russians as well and probably Czechs, Germans and Swiss
and that Scottish Peter Russell seems to be one hell of a coach too

Jukka Jalonen (57) - 2 x World Championship gold, WJC gold, Olympic bronze, World Championship bronze,
Sm-Liiga champion, 4 x Sm-Liiga 3rd place finishes (bronze), European Champions Cup silver, KHL experience
Karri Kivi (49) - WJC gold medal, Sm-Liiga champion, KHL experience
Kari Jalonen (59) - 4 x Sm-Liiga champion, 2 x NLA champion, World Championship silver, KHL experience
Jussi Ahokas (39) - WJC & u18WJC gold, has raised a bottom feeder team KooKoo to top 6 this season
Antti Törmänen (49) - NLA champion, Sm-Liiga 2nd place finish (silver)
Ville Peltonen (46) - NLA champion, World Championship silver (assistant coach)

Big Alpo Suhonen fan eh?

Reactions: LDF

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Alpo is still trying to harness the energy inside the puck.

I can't ever get over that one.....idk how you make it to the NHL as a coach with thoughts like that unless you never share them with anyone until you get to the NHL.

Alpo was hockey Trestman.

Alpo and Mike Smith were art/theatre nerds or something. Amazingly, Smith salvaged that era with his unbelievable drafting in his final years.

Reactions: LDF

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I was reading the Athletic and they’re highlighting the Islanders, I found a lot of this to be pretty interesting and it sort of reminded me of what Colliton was trying to do at the beginning of the season. The difference seems to be that Trotz has guys who are fully bought in and willing to sacrifice personal stats for team success, including Eberle:

How are they managing it? According to Eberle, it starts with the organizational leadership – general manager Lou Lamoriello and coach Barry Trotz. Before joining the Islanders, both enjoyed some successes in their previous NHL stops, Lamoriello primarily with the New Jersey Devils and Toronto Maple Leafs, Trotz with the Nashville Predators and Washington Capitals.

“Obviously, once Barry and Lou came in, they’re known for developing a culture of winning,” Eberle explained. “I think the biggest thing they preached to us is about details. You can look at the big picture, but it all comes down to doing the right thing most of the time – and try to do it every single time, whether it’s faceoffs, or power play, penalty kill, different situations in the game, it’s about details. If you’re the most detailed team in the league and not cheating for offense, you’re going to have success.
“With us, with this team we have here, three things.

“One. We play as a team. If you look at the way we play games, we’re rolling four lines, and nobody is playing an excess of minutes throughout the lineup.

“Two. I think we’re one of the most detailed teams in the league. We do the right thing pretty much all the time; that’s why we have success.

“Three is just the chemistry we have in the locker room. We all get along. We all like playing for each other. There really isn’t any ego. We win by committee. For me, I haven’t had a lot of success winning throughout my career, so it’s nice to be a part of this.”

Players such as Eberle, Lee and even Mathew Barzal have all had identities as scorers throughout their careers. Surely that must be the most difficult concept for someone such as Eberle to digest, the value of adopting a new identity in pursuit of the greater goal of winning.

Because when you review the overall Islanders’ roster and consider only skaters, it’s difficult to answer the question: Who is their second-best player after Barzal?

Is it Brock Nelson, who is second on the team in scoring, with 21 points, three behind Barzal’s team-leading 24? Is it defenceman Ryan Pulock, who leads the team in ice time with 21:45 per night? Or Adam Pelech, who is second in TOI at 21:01 and is the only player other than Pulock to average more than 20 minutes per night?

Some nights, their second-best player might be Lee. Some nights, Josh Bailey. Barzal had 85 points as a rookie in the 2017-18 season on an Islanders’ team that also included John Tavares but ultimately finished out of the playoffs and seventh out of eight teams in the Metropolitan Division.

The next year, Barzal produced 62 points but the Islanders finished second in the Metro and won a playoff round. It’s a very Steve Yzerman-ish development and speaks to what the Islanders are prepared to sacrifice to win.

“If you look at everyone’s numbers last year, everyone went down but we had more success,” Eberle said. “That’s just attributed to focusing more on the defensive side of the puck. Playing good detailed hockey. Not cheating for offense. If you have guys in the locker room, like we have here, willing to give up personal stats to have success, you’re going to win hockey games. And that’s what we’re doing.”

NHL history suggests there are a lot of teams that can surge from one year to the next, but then inevitably fall back, reverting to the mean.

In many ways, the most impressive thing about the Islanders is that they’re doing it two years in a row. Some of us, probably starting with me, are going to have to stop oohing and aaahing in amazement.
Following Thursday’s OT win over Vegas, the Islanders are 19-6-2 on the season. Nowadays, most NHL teams have analytics departments, in which they comb through all the available data to maximize performance. It’ll be interesting to see if there is something in the Islanders’ balanced approach to team-building that other teams can co-opt. As Eberle noted, they are going against the grain of the increasingly attack-oriented NHL.

“I honestly think it’s because we have a formula here that we live by and play by,” Eberle said. “It’s not flashy by any means. We’re not going to have guys winning league trophies, unless it’s the Jennings, but we’re committed to playing a style that is winning hockey games. In my opinion, it’s playoff hockey and the way you need to play to win in the playoffs. Maybe it’s not pretty to look at for the average fan, but we’re getting the job done.”

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I was reading the Athletic and they’re highlighting the Islanders, I found a lot of this to be pretty interesting and it sort of reminded me of what Colliton was trying to do at the beginning of the season. The difference seems to be that Trotz has guys who are fully bought in and willing to sacrifice personal stats for team success, including Eberle:

Should be posted in the Hawks' locker room IMO....

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Toews was having a hissy fit. He's been whining his ass off all game long every game this year while having the worst year of his career now at massive financial reward.

It's annoying as hell to watch, to say the least.
any mention on the topic of his hissy fit

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
One thing of note from the podcast, through Colliton's 1st 97 games as Hawks coach, his record is better than Q's last 97 games behind Hawks bench.

I found that interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad