Prospect Info: Jeremy Bracco with Windsor

Mar 12, 2009
A month ago Pronman ranked Bracco as the 37th best prospect in the game. I think some of y'all are being a little hasty in writing him off.

Who is writing him off? I've seen mostly people who still rave about him and who get bent out of shape if anyone criticizes the weak aspects of his game.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Rocky Thompson runs a very heavy cycle, and an overall defensively focused system.

He doesn't flourish in that environment. He's looked far more pedestrian here, than he did in Kitchener.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
I hope the Last Word people will do a quick edit and correct Bracco's season stats.

A couple of the real questions were not addressed in the article. Size is not the only challenge. One of the main questions is whether Bracco will play with the necessary intensity and involvement on the defensive end. The second has to do with his speed. A number of observers say he is quick but not fast. I think that is an accurate description. Does the lack of top end speed represent a problem? We'll see. A different kind of question will be whether there is room for him on the Leafs, given his style.

If Bracco answers the first two questions with his play, he can be a valuable piece in a trade even if he isn't a fit fir the Leafs.

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
I hope the Last Word people will do a quick edit and correct Bracco's season stats.

A couple of the real questions were not addressed in the article. Size is not the only challenge. One of the main questions is whether Bracco will play with the necessary intensity and involvement on the defensive end. The second has to do with his speed. A number of observers say he is quick but not fast. I think that is an accurate description. Does the lack of top end speed represent a problem? We'll see. A different kind of question will be whether there is room for him on the Leafs, given his style.

If Bracco answers the first two questions with his play, he can be a valuable piece in a trade even if he isn't a fit fir the Leafs.

In regards to "speed" they were saying the same thing about Marner last year. I'm quite impressed at how fast Marner is with the puck.

In regards to intensity, Babcock will take care of that. Either he plays hard at both ends of the rink or he doesn't play. Nobody thought that Kadri had it in him either.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Bad argument. The vast majority of those whose speed is questioned are, in fact, not like Marner. They are just, well, not fast enough. And if Bracco doesn't play good D, he won't get near enough to Babcock for it to make any difference.

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
Bad argument. The vast majority of those whose speed is questioned are, in fact, not like Marner. They are just, well, not fast enough. And if Bracco doesn't play good D, he won't get near enough to Babcock for it to make any difference.

No, it's not a bad argument when others have done it. Weren't they questioning Stamkos' or Tavaras' speed also coming into the league? Bracco is apparently a great skater in terms of shiftiness. He'll probably increase his speed also. Players have proven that it can be done. Gretz wasn't exactly a blazer either.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
In regards to "speed" they were saying the same thing about Marner last year. I'm quite impressed at how fast Marner is with the puck.

In regards to intensity, Babcock will take care of that. Either he plays hard at both ends of the rink or he doesn't play. Nobody thought that Kadri had it in him either.

I don't recall any concern about Marner's speed. Size was the only thing I remember.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
No, it's not a bad argument when others have done it. Weren't they questioning Stamkos' or Tavaras' speed also coming into the league? Bracco is apparently a great skater in terms of shiftiness. He'll probably increase his speed also. Players have proven that it can be done. Gretz wasn't exactly a blazer either.

It is a bad argument when you cherry pick a few elite players that went at the top of the draft. Tons of players don't make the cut at the NHL level due to speed with elite junior performance, Bracco is still a huge question mark as to that transition.

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
I don't recall any concern about Marner's speed. Size was the only thing I remember.

I never said there was a concern.

People were saying he didn't have elite speed as a junior. Smaller players usually separate themselves by having blazing speed. Marner was known for having elite edge work and maneuverability. No question he has improved his straight ahead speed.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I never said there was a concern.

People were saying he didn't have elite speed as a junior. Smaller players usually separate themselves by having blazing speed. Marner was known for having elite edge work and maneuverability. No question he has improved his straight ahead speed.

You made the comparison with Bracco, I didn't think there is an analogy there. Marner was a can't miss NHL quality prospect, Bracco is a project.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Using an outlier in a category as a counter to a statement about the group as a whole is an error. It is also an error with respect to most statements about an individual within that category. Imagine that we are talking about a one handed baseball player named X. Someone says that is a problem and he probably won't make the majors. You reply, "Pete Gray and Jim Abbott made it." That would be a logically correct rebuttal if and only if someone had been saying "No one handed player can make the majors." It does not, in fact, say anything about player X, beyond that it would be wrong to state that there is no possibility he can make the bigs. The general probability of X making it to the Show are influenced by a host of other factors, including the record of the category as a whole.

I have not stated nor do I believe that Bracco has no chance of making the Leafs or the NHL in general. I think what I stated earlier, that there are questions not just about his size, but his defensive play and his top end speed. Saying that Marner made it is irrelevant for a series of reasons.

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
You made the comparison with Bracco, I didn't think there is an analogy there. Marner was a can't miss NHL quality prospect, Bracco is a project.

Enough with the strawman.

I used Marner as an example of a player increasing his speed. I also used Stamkos/Tavaras. The topic was skating,specifically straight ahead speed.

The strawman is comparing them as hockey players, which I certainly didn't.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Enough with the strawman.

I used Marner as an example of a player increasing his speed. I also used Stamkos/Tavaras. The topic was skating,specifically straight ahead speed.

The strawman is comparing them as hockey players, which I certainly didn't.

Nobody questioned Marner's speed, so I don't know where the straw man comes in, it was your flawed analogy.

As for Bracco he has a weird stride, but it gets him around...his first step looks slow but he is good on his edges obviously. There is a big question mark as to whether his game translates to the NHL...probably explains why the team was so late to sign him. Worth a flyer, he does have sweet hands.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
I don't think anybody said his speed, or hypothetical lack thereof, would keep him from making the NHL. I can recall a couple of the usual anti Leaf suspects on the main boards implying that he didn't have the speed to be a star or a franchise level player. So far, it looks as if they may just be wrong!

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011
Rocky Thompson runs a very heavy cycle, and an overall defensively focused system.

He doesn't flourish in that environment. He's looked far more pedestrian here, than he did in Kitchener.

Is that THE Rocky Thompson? Who used to chuck knocks for the Saint John Flames?

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Who is writing him off? I've seen mostly people who still rave about him and who get bent out of shape if anyone criticizes the weak aspects of his game.

...some of the earlier posts in this thread. I made that comment a month and a half ago.

"At this rate he won't even get signed."

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
There is a reason he was picked 61st overall. Obviously not every team (including Leafs) were sold on his NHL potential.
Like all other ELCs...we'll see. You think he is at least two years away from seeing the NHL...if at all.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
I think he is a good player but I don't see him being a Leaf. With all due respect, we already have Mariner and Nylander and have that smaller forward with skill presence on the team. I see Bracco being packaged with something else to bring another second pairing young dman.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Nobody questioned Marner's speed, so I don't know where the straw man comes in, it was your flawed analogy.

As for Bracco he has a weird stride, but it gets him around...his first step looks slow but he is good on his edges obviously. There is a big question mark as to whether his game translates to the NHL...probably explains why the team was so late to sign him. Worth a flyer, he does have sweet hands.

There were many questioning Marner speed in threads last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad