Jeremie Blain signed to a NHL contract

ZKass The Bass

Feb 10, 2013
London
Brutal. Watched 70% of Wolves games this season and there isn't anything that really stands out about him, but not in a Chris Tanev sense. He's more of an offensive-minded d-man but his game in the AHL was very moderate. I could definitely see him as a 2nd unit PP guy and a puck-moving D down the road, he needs to work on eliminating shyness from his game & controlling the puck in his zone.

I think there are more deserving candidates for a contract spot but he'll help in Utica with depth.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
I seem to remember people who watched the Wolves thinking he was pretty terrible, so this is a bit of a head scratcher. Not sure why you'd give this player an NHL deal.

Utica is looking like they will have a really young blue line next year with Blain, Andersson, Polasek, Corrado, Tommernes, and Price (if he gets signed) all looking like they will end up there. Plus they've already got Mullen under contract.

No, we definitely praised him a decent amount. He was good defensively for the most part. I was pretty happy with his play. Made some mistakes but he looked like a veteran and when I realized his age, I was pleasantly surprised. Was a much better D-man than someone like Groulx, Miskovic and Sauve.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
No, we definitely praised him a decent amount. He was good defensively for the most part. I was pretty happy with his play. Made some mistakes but he looked like a veteran and when I realized his age, I was pleasantly surprised. Was a much better D-man than someone like Groulx, Miskovic and Sauve.

Looking back at the old posts from the last year, it seems orcatown was quite critical. I was probably misremembering his posts for the general consensus.

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Might show the influence of Arneil in who gets signed. Arneil seemed to go to Blain a lot after he got called up from Idaho and used Blain ahead of other options.

I watched the Wolves a a fair amount last season and and would say there is there is little that stands out in Blain's play. Best quality IMO was his ability to move up and support the play in the neutral zone. In his own end, he seemed, at best, adequate. I think he definitely has to add more of physical edge to his play. Still he is only 21 and should be useful with Utica.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Does this mean Price is gone, effectively? :(

i wrote him off when drance talked to the org and they said they didnt have plans to sign the three expiring contracts. valuable context re: price's later expiry date wasn't used but it was still fairly telling

Iceberg Slim

May 9, 2010
Vancouver
I'm failing to understand how signing Jeremie Blain to an ELC means that Jeremy Price will not also be signed to an ELC.

The team isn't all that tight to the 50-man limit, even after they re-sign most of the worthwhile free agents and flesh out the 23 man roster.

And I don't see how positional depth really comes into play this far down the charts, given all the uncertainties involved. It's possible to have too much depth at a position, but I don't think the Canucks/Comets are at that point yet.

And its still 7-8 weeks or so until the August 15th deadline for signing Price.

Given how much time management has been spending on season reviews, coach interviews/hirings, Luongo, et cetera et cetera, it seems quite possible that some things have been delayed until closer to their deadlines. I mean, I've heard that certain players' agents haven't been talking to the Canucks about re-signings/extensions because they agreed to leave things alone until the team had more time to focus on certain specific individual deals and negotiations. Maybe Price, being pretty far down the list compared to other players in this offseason's mix, isn't even scheduled until sometime in July before the Canucks start actually working on getting him under contract. If he wants to sign and the Canucks want him, it should be a very quick process--maybe they've agreed to leave things until the end of July/early August?

Unless there's been something said to indicate that he actually wants to hold out for free agency?

I certainly don't see the Blain signing a a move that really influences anything. It's not like the organization had only one specific opening available for Price and signing Blain somehow slammed this window shut forever. Am I wrong here?

I dunno. I'm sure I must be missing something. Can someone please enlighten me as to why signing Blain eliminates the possibility of signing Price? Cheers.

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
Brutal. Watched 70% of Wolves games this season and there isn't anything that really stands out about him, but not in a Chris Tanev sense. He's more of an offensive-minded d-man but his game in the AHL was very moderate. I could definitely see him as a 2nd unit PP guy and a puck-moving D down the road, he needs to work on eliminating shyness from his game & controlling the puck in his zone.

I think there are more deserving candidates for a contract spot but he'll help in Utica with depth.
Well, this was his first season in the AHL. It sounds like a typical Canucks signing, buy low on a guy with potential upside.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
A Price rights for Corban Knight rights trade would have been nice if Price isn't signing here.

Edit: rumoured deal is rookie max with max bonuses. eeeek pays to be a rebuilding Calgary.

Last edited:

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Might show the influence of Arneil in who gets signed. Arneil seemed to go to Blain a lot after he got called up from Idaho and used Blain ahead of other options.

I watched the Wolves a a fair amount last season and and would say there is there is little that stands out in Blain's play. Best quality IMO was his ability to move up and support the play in the neutral zone. In his own end, he seemed, at best, adequate. I think he definitely has to add more of physical edge to his play. Still he is only 21 and should be useful with Utica.

Yeah, that's a fair review. I think for his age he did well at that level. I thought his hockey IQ was definitely above average which should bode well for him as he gets more experience.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
It is interesting to see the potential roster for the Utica Comets taking shape.

How are we looking for that right now, anyway?

Jensen - Blomstrand - ????
???? - Grenier - ????
???? - Mallet - ????
???? - Friesen - ????

Andersson - Mullen
Tommernes - Blain
Polasek - ????

Cannata
Eriksson

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY

???? - Grenier - ????
???? - Mallet - ????
???? - Friesen - ????

Andersson - Mullen
Tommernes - Blain
Polasek - ????

Cannata
Eriksson

Any two way signing is a potential Utica Comet for next season. It is just interesting to see who might be playing here next season. Hopefully it will be a good mixture of promising young prospects with a few veterans to provide leadership to the young guys.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005

???? - Grenier - ????
???? - Mallet - ????
???? - Friesen - ????

Andersson - Mullen
Tommernes - Blain
Polasek - ????

Cannata
Eriksson

I think Sauve will be re-signed, but if anyone agrees with me I haven't noticed. Maybe he's already been cut loose and I haven't noticed that either. Up on the forward lines, there's Kellen Lain and Bill Sweatt.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary

???? - Grenier - ????
???? - Mallet - ????
???? - Friesen - ????

Andersson - Mullen
Tommernes - Blain
Polasek - ????

Cannata
Eriksson

I think Grenier's a winger isn't he? As a Hitmen homer (I have embraced them to try and fit in in Calgary) I'd say pencil Sylvester into one of those centre spots :) I wonder if Myron's ready for the AHL?

Would be nice if we could pencil Sauve in there, but I think that ship has sailed.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON

???? - Grenier - ????
???? - Mallet - ????
???? - Friesen - ????

Andersson - Mullen
Tommernes - Blain
Polasek - ????

Cannata
Eriksson

Forwards are more likely to be like this (since Blomstrand and Grenier are wingers):

Blomstrad - Mallet - Jensen
XXX - Friesen - Grenier

Maybe they get a real 1C through free agency and shift Mallet and Friesen down a line. Then you have Lain on the 3rd or 4th line.

On D, expect Polasek to play in the Top 4. Tommernes will likely start out on the 3rd pairing and have to earn his way up.

In net, I expect Cannata to back up Eriksson or Lack.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I think Sauve will be re-signed, but if anyone agrees with me I haven't noticed. Maybe he's already been cut loose and I haven't noticed that either. Up on the forward lines, there's Kellen Lain and Bill Sweatt.

I don't think Sauve and Sweatt get re-signed based on the way they essentially plateaued or worsened this last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->