Jere Lehtinen

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
What are you guys memories of this player? What did he bring to the ice? Was he not very good defensivly? Was he physical? Just asking out of curiosity.

jere-lehtinen-of-the-dallas-stars-poses-for-his-official-headshot-for-the-2009-2010-nhl-season.jpg

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
Terrible defensively. The league gave him the Selke trophy to boost his confidence in how to try to play defense.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
What are you guys memories of this player? What did he bring to the ice? Was he not very good defensivly? Was he physical? Just asking out of curiosity.

jere-lehtinen-of-the-dallas-stars-poses-for-his-official-headshot-for-the-2009-2010-nhl-season.jpg
Basically a goon, couldn't do anything in either end of the ice, Modano carried him everywhere.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Smoked between periods
Made comments about his "sloppy seconds exs"
Refused to play the on penalty kill
Was always head hunting
Couldn't put up enough points to be a top nine forward
Just a POS really

Besides the obvious, I loved his breakaway goals, just sniping those top corners

Reactions: LT, Satan and M88K

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
My best Jere memory was that I happened to sit next to an NHL linesman on the plane, coming to Dallas to do the game. (Dan Schatke, who recently passed away). We arranged to play golf on his day off between two games, so he got me into the refs locker room after the game and gave me a puck he said was from Jere's game winning goal. I took it home to give to my son and then read in the paper that it was Jere's 100th goal, and he wished he would have collected the puck. There was an Everybody Loves Raymond episode where the Dad refused to give back some college players winning field goal ball, so I felt a bit guilty, called the Stars, and gave it back. I got a stick, two center ice tickets, and a few other momento type stuff out of it.

Note: There was actually another guy who said they put the puck back in play, and he caught it when it went out of the rink, so the Stars gave us both some stuff since it was impossible to tell for sure which of us was right.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Sorry guys my english is off sometimes. What i mean is, is it true he was very good defensivly. I was too young to remember him correctly. Its a serious thread, i have a fetish for old school players, i started several threads around HFboards about different players. One day i will ask about Tjärnqvist and Joel Lundqvist.

My best Jere memory was that I happened to sit next to an NHL linesman on the plane, coming to Dallas to do the game. (Dan Schatke, who recently passed away). We arranged to play golf on his day off between two games, so he got me into the refs locker room after the game and gave me a puck he said was from Jere's game winning goal. I took it home to give to my son and then read in the paper that it was Jere's 100th goal, and he wished he would have collected the puck. There was an Everybody Loves Raymond episode where the Dad refused to give back some college players winning field goal ball, so I felt a bit guilty, called the Stars, and gave it back. I got a stick, two center ice tickets, and a few other momento type stuff out of it.

Note: There was actually another guy who said they put the puck back in play, and he caught it when it went out of the rink, so the Stars gave us both some stuff since it was impossible to tell for sure which of us was right.
Maybe the best positionally sound hockey player I have ever seen
Thanks guys for this seriously replies!

Was he physical btw?

Reactions: Sports2 and Klockis

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Not a big hitter, but effective. He would hit and steal the puck with ease, probably the best the Cup year that we had.

Coaches used to slot anyone who was struggling on his line, and he made them better.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad