Speculation: Jensen Gone, We still looking for a RHD?

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
They should be out of the rental dmen market.

I'd rather give up a 2nd + rounder + a better prospect for Gudas than a rental.

I agree.

But the Jensen trade appears to have been a sign & trade. He signed a four year extension within a few hours of the trade. Presumably they lined this up beforehand. So wasn't really a trade for a rental.

Reactions: Buds17

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Any RHD worth paying for isn't available right now. Paying an inflated deadline price for a mediocre one (Gudas, McQaid) is poor asset management.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Zaitsev has been pretty bad though. That's the bar for an acquistion here -- better than him.

Not too tough from a talent perspective, the tricky part is unloading that contract.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Any RHD worth paying for isn't available right now. Paying an inflated deadline price for a mediocre one (Gudas, McQaid) is poor asset management.

No one knows everyone who was available, trade deadline or otherwise, until after they're traded. Always a surprise or two.

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
Just saw what they gave up, I’m glad we didn’t try to out bid them

Glad Dubas didn't pay that price

Be ever great-full that we have a stats geek technocrat - and I mean that in a praiseworthy way- as a GM who is not going to blow brains out on a trade with an unequal Magic X Secret Sauce return from which we all know, disaster stem

So what- honestly- so what if we don't go all in this year and don't win the cup? You know what would be worse than not winning the cup? Not wining the cup after trading away the Marlies for some over-the- hill, torn ACL rentals, which is never ever nice

That lack of stupidity among GM's and their staff, that all GMs have a not -fallen -off - the - turnip - truck scouting staff, have every player ranked internally on their own spreadsheet, have videos of every player, and for every reason Leafs Nation wants to be rid of a player is the exact reason other GMs don't want him, and then, after you do your analytics and scouting staff input, you need to recalculate all the math based on the salary cap, and now you have 3'rd rounders going for rights to unsigned 2'nd round picks but the Leafs will not be - hopefully - involved in any 'win now' future give away trades that we should universally condemn

But what the Leafs can do and should do, as they do have buckets of cash and no pockets to ram the cash in, is make deals to other teams for unsigned KHL players- yes, you have to kind of sort of have some ugulyiness, in dealing with the KHL, but you have that cash anyway, and you have a competent player you can plug in right away, so for a 2nd rounder, you do it, and get that European with all that skating, passing and scoring and bring him here at no cost to any roster - a move that is worth a roll of the dice.

Last edited:

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Making the money work for Miller will take some doing

This deadline it's a money in money out scenario, so we'd need to send about 3.5M to Vegas (or somebody else) before the deadline to fit Miller and making 3.8M work next year is going to be tough

That's really ugly unless you can move all of Zaitsev, Marleau and Brown imo

I think they need to leave 3.5m open by years end to fit bonuses in IIRC. I think it would work by moving Brown (2.1m) and Ozhiganov (925k) would probably be enough cap moving. There wouldn't be a need to re-call anyone either since Holl is there at 675k.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I don't think there is any move out there, that is going to make sense for us. It's going to be the offseason, before we can address our deficiencies.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I think they need to leave 3.5m open by years end to fit bonuses in IIRC. I think it would work by moving Brown (2.1m) and Ozhiganov (925k) would probably be enough cap moving. There wouldn't be a need to re-call anyone either since Holl is there at 675k.

The problem is were one injury away from Brown playing in the top 9 consistently, maybe Hainsey because he's paid 3M but I can't see Babcock agreeing to moving either

Finding 3M to go the other way that Babcock would be onboard with moving is a real pain in the ass

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
The problem is were one injury away from Brown playing in the top 9 consistently, maybe Hainsey because he's paid 3M but I can't see Babcock agreeing to moving either

Finding 3M to go the other way that Babcock would be onboard with moving is a real pain in the ass

Well ultimately, Babcock can't have it all his way. Trevor Moore has shown ability to slot into a bottom-six role if Brown moves on. Babcock even mentioned the fact there's players on the Marlies deserving of a chance too (sounds like Rosen and Moore to me). He can't complain about wanting defensive help on the RH side, and then poo poo on trading a 3rd or 4th liner who's making too much on a cup contending team. Hard decisions have to be made in a cap era when competing for a cup.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Well ultimately, Babcock can't have it all his way. Trevor Moore has shown ability to slot into a bottom-six role if Brown moves on. Babcock even mentioned the fact there's players on the Marlies deserving of a chance too (sounds like Rosen and Moore to me). He can't complain about wanting defensive help on the RH side, and then poo poo on trading a 3rd or 4th liner who's making too much on a cup contending team. Hard decisions have to be made in a cap era when competing for a cup.

Babcock has a ton of power within the organisation, if he wants to keep Brown or Hainsey the chances are he's going to get what he wants

I'd also point out that Brown is a key PKer and we use him to close out games were ahead in, he's been useful and whilst I think he will go at the draft I can't see him moving now

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Babcock has a ton of power within the organisation, if he wants to keep Brown or Hainsey the chances are he's going to get what he wants

I'd also point out that Brown is a key PKer and we use him to close out games were ahead in, he's been useful and whilst I think he will go at the draft I can't see him moving now

I think if it's Brown vs. acquiring a top 4 RHD, they make the move.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I think if it's Brown vs. acquiring a top 4 RHD, they make the move.

As of now he looks like a fringe top 4, offensively I like him but his defensive game does leave a lot to be desired

I think he's Zaitsev, but in completely the other direction, all puck skills with almost zero defensive game

Trading him for Zaitsev straight up would be sweet but I'm not sure we'd move Brown out to bring him in at this point

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->