Jeff Woywitka or Anton Volchenkov?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Wally112pac said:
Volchenkov. He hits like a tank. He knows when to pinch for a shot on net and he cracked Ottawa's defence.

My thoughts exactly, plus he did it at a young age. I also think he may be valuable as a leader when he hits his prime if handled properly. I'm still pissed that he scored that game winning goal against Canada at the WJC tho. ;)

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Volchenkov has pretty good offensive upside, but people just fail to notice it because the first thing that comes to their mind is his physical play.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
SensGuy said:
Volchenkov has pretty good offensive upside, but people just fail to notice it because the first thing that comes to their mind is his physical play.

So, Volchenkov is in the same situation then Komisasrek!
Volchenkov, if he can avoid the injury, will be way better then Woywitka!

YellHockey*

Freaky Habs Fan said:
So, Volchenkov is in the same situation then Komisasrek!

No. Volchenkov is physical in a way that scares the opposition. Komisarek is just big.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Volchenkov could become a top 10 defenceman in the league in his 30s. He's already a steady presence on a great team (defence) and he's only gouing to get better. He needs minutes and a steady partner. Hits a ton. Maybe a Pronger/Jovo mold.

YellHockey*

Kryoptix said:
ok watch a komisarek game .. he nailed about 2-3 guys by game ! :shakehead

I watched both of them play VERY up close at their NHL debuts during the Hull rookie tournament two years ago.

Volchenkov was sending people to the hospital and guys were clearly leery of him.

Even the smallest players on the ice had no qualms going into the corners with Komisarek.

All Star United

Mar 1, 2002
Liverpool
BlackRedGold said:
I watched both of them play VERY up close at their NHL debuts during the Hull rookie tournament two years ago.

Volchenkov was sending people to the hospital and guys were clearly leery of him.

Even the smallest players on the ice had no qualms going into the corners with Komisarek.

Exactly what I was about to say! I was there at the tournament and clearly Volchenkov was a TRAIN on the ice.

db23

BlackRedGold said:

Which would only prove that not only is Komisarek bigger, faster, and stronger than Volchenkov, he is also a lot smarter. What kind of idiot is "sending people to the hospital" in training camp?

Anyone in the league can take 100 foot runs at other players and connect about 1 time out of 10. Jordin Tootoo does it all the time. But it isn't smart percentage hockey, and if you use the fact that Komisarek didn't try to kill some 175 pound kid on an amateur tryout in training camp against him you are working backwards.

db23

All Star United said:
Exactly what I was about to say! I was there at the tournament and clearly Volchenkov was a TRAIN on the ice.
Well, he was about as smart as your average train. But less lateral mobility.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
db23 said:
Which would only prove that not only is Komisarek bigger, faster, and stronger than Volchenkov, he is also a lot smarter.

You'll have to explain how BlackRedGold's post "PROVES" he's bigger, faster and stronger.

I think you'll have a hard time backing that one up...

db23

Flames Draft Watcher said:
You'll have to explain how BlackRedGold's post "PROVES" he's bigger, faster and stronger.

I think you'll have a hard time backing that one up...
Well, the "bigger" part shouldn't be so difficult now, should it? :)

The problem with Volchenkov's style is that while it may look spectacular, it isn't really effective in the long term. Also, for a guy who is "putting people in the hospital", he managed to miss about a third of his rookie season and over 3/4 of last season on the sidelines.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
db23 said:
Well, the "bigger" part shouldn't be so difficult now, should it? :)

The problem with Volchenkov's style is that while it may look spectacular, it isn't really effective in the long term. Also, for a guy who is "putting people in the hospital", he managed to miss about a third of his rookie season and over 3/4 of last season on the sidelines.

That was arguably a hit from behind.

Also it seems to me that Stevens made a legendary career with a similar style of hitting.
What wrong with going for the big open icer when you have the opportunity. (not 2-1 and so on obivousely)

db23

Bileur said:
That was arguably a hit from behind.

Also it seems to me that Stevens made a legendary career with a similar style of hitting.
What wrong with going for the big open icer when you have the opportunity. (not 2-1 and so on obivousely)

Nothing is wrong with it if you pick your spots well and don't hurt yourself more than the other guy. Volchenkov has gotten into trouble with the coaches for taking himself out of the play too often, and he has managed to stay healthy for less than half of his first two NHL seasons. He has dressed for 76 of a potential 162 games since joining Ottawa. He'll learn to pick his spots better, but there are pros and cons with guys who are looking for the big hit all the time.

Don Draper

Feb 7, 2003
ottawa
Visit site
db23 said:
Nothing is wrong with it if you pick your spots well and don't hurt yourself more than the other guy. Volchenkov has gotten into trouble with the coaches for taking himself out of the play too often, and he has managed to stay healthy for less than half of his first two NHL seasons. He has dressed for 76 of a potential 162 games since joining Ottawa. He'll learn to pick his spots better, but there are pros and cons with guys who are looking for the big hit all the time.

no offense, but you are just wrong. He didnt miss time because he took chances, he missed time cause he was 20yr old Dman on a Cup contending team with incredible depth and had a terrible grasp of the english language which caused a more than one blunder due to communication issues with his d partners . He was praised for being able to pick his spots, and how smart he was with the puck, and away from it. He never put his team at risk with a big hit, but constantly made his presence felt. He got ran into the boards from behind this year, destroying his shoulder, when he would have been an everyday player. He is arguably a top 4 dman on a top 5 defensive corp in the league. I am taking him over Woywitka and komisarik.

As far as going out of his way to hurt people in a tourney, its a tourney that all young players play their hardest at a shot of making the team. Volchenkov made the team because he played so physical. He also hit each person clean, so you cant speak against his actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->