Confirmed with Link: Jeff Tambellini signed to a 1 year, 2 way deal

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Definitely to help Syracuse and I think he will. He has tallied 101 goals and 201 points in 176 games in the AHL.

Shawn Heins 44

Sep 22, 2012
Zurich
He was really really bad last year in Switzerland. Very selfish, shies away from contact and seemed to be a bit of a character issue.

I also have to say he was absolutely dominant the first year he came to our league, however that was a couple of years ago. Curious to see how he does.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Could be a miss like other attempts to bolster Syracuse, but he's got the track record in the A, so I'm optimistic.

Reznor

Feb 20, 2013
Fribourg
Could be a miss like other attempts to bolster Syracuse, but he's got the track record in the A, so I'm optimistic.

I wouldn't be very optimistic, he was terrible last year and ended up healthy scratch. So I'm not even sure that he is fit for the AHL

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Same guy who was drafted along with Boyle and Dustin Brown by the Kings in 2003?

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
I'm surprised seeing this, didn't think Tambellini would leave Sweden after winning SM-Gold with Växjö because he was a big reason for their win but I can understand wanting to come back and give NA another chance.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Same guy who was drafted along with Boyle and Dustin Brown by the Kings in 2003?
Yep. Taken by L.A. during Al Murrays time there.

murray-al-draft-DL.jpg

JFleegs

Dec 9, 2010
Virginia Beach
Interesting connection with al murray. You got to think he wouldnt come back to the NA without a shot at being a call up.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://www.syracuse.com/crunch/inde...in.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
Tambellini, a first-round pick by Los Angeles in 2003, left the Canucks after 2011 with the intention of stretching out his game overseas for three years. Instead, he stayed four.

When his agent made it known that he was ready to return to the NHL in 2015-16, the Lightning was an early bidder when the free agent market opened on July 1. An agreement was quickly reached.

"When a team like that calls, you don't ask too many questions,'' Tambellini said.
Tambellini has 242 career NHL games over six seasons with the Los Angeles Kings, New York Islanders and Vancouver Canucks, recording 27 goals and 63 points. But he knew another quality opportunity wasn't going to come his way unless he rebuilt his game for a role more appropriate for someone of his age.

So he used his time abroad to further develop his skills at all three forward positions, honing his game for the types of third- and fourth-line responsibilities he'd need to master if he wanted crucial minutes on a Cup-worthy team.

"I have a passion for the game. I feel like every year I've gotten stronger and added to my game,'' he said. "There's a lot of guys, they don't want to change their role. I think you have to adapt sometimes. What league do you want to play in? You have to do whatever it takes to stay in the NHL.''
Tambellini looks at the age and talent of the Tampa Bay roster and knows a good chunk of his season could be spent with the Syracuse Crunch.

...Overall, he has appeared in 176 career AHL games over five seasons with the Manchester Monarchs, Bridgeport Sound Tigers and Manitoba Moose tallying 101 goals and 201 points.

It's been awhile since he's put up those types of numbers, but Tambellini said he expects to contribute at the same clip while in Syracuse.

"I've kind of set a standard for myself in that league,'' he said. "I definitely don't want to fall off that.''

It's the very possibility of AHL shifts that make Tambellini happy he could join the Tampa Bay system. He knows that the Lightning was so close last season, and isn't a team that feels a need to shuffle its roster much.
Tambellini pegs Tampa Bay as a stable franchise that's maybe just a tweak or two away from winning the final game of the playoffs this year, and if those small adjustments include him on a depth basis that's even better.

"The teams that stay the course, and they don't get off what their plan is, you always see them back really quick,'' he said. "It's really exciting that they're bringing pretty much the whole team back. It's going to be a fun team to be part of, whether it's Tampa Bay or Syracuse.''

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad