Value of: Jeff Skinner

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Just like Lucic was.

And then it was moved.

Think Buffalo has to eat 2M of it and then it's movable.

buffalo is going to eat 2million dollars on a 7 year contract?

also lucic and neal were both struggling similarly on nearly identical contracts. this scenario buffalo needs to eat 2 million and take back a 7 million dollar, 7 year contract for it to make sense

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Maybe trade for one of them

Bob
Price
EK
Duchene
Vlasic
Johansen

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
The length even more so than the high cap hit makes it virtual unmovable. No contender is ever going to have room for his cap hit and even a team starting a rebuild isn’t going to want to be handcuffed for another 6 years.

Peterpuck7810

Jan 13, 2021
Buffalo just needs to play him someplace in the top 6... I have no clue what they are thinking....

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
buffalo is going to eat 2million dollars on a 7 year contract?

also lucic and neal were both struggling similarly on nearly identical contracts. this scenario buffalo needs to eat 2 million and take back a 7 million dollar, 7 year contract for it to make sense

2M in dead cap for 7 years might be better than 9M for Skinner. Of course the issue is no one is going to take Skinner at 7M for 7 years.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Only way that contract gets moved is if compliance buyouts become a thing again.

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
I was so shocked when that contract was announced. Now its gotten even worse.... so so much worse

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Maybe trade for one of them

Bob - NMC
Price - NMC
EK - NMC
Duchene
Vlasic - NMC
Johansen

Out of that list only Duchene and Johansen would be options because the others have NMC in their contracts and can’t imagine any of them would be willing to go to Buffalo. So if Buffalo can get Skinner to waive to Nashville (super unlikely) and retain then maybe you could get back Duchene or RyJo

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Skinner for Price

Montreal tells Price he's now the backup, so if he wants to play it'll have to be in Buffalo

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Which is why I’m asking if the player to which the contract belongs is salvageable. Otherwise, BUF has a 9M paperweight.

100%. Skinner's just as good a player now as when he potted 40. Krueger just hates him. I have no idea why Olofsson keeps getting top line reps over him when Skinner is emphatically the better 5-v-5 player.

Reactions: Kuznetsnow

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
It's hard to fathom that after one 40 goal season Jeff Skinner was given such a lucrative contract by the Sabres. It's not like this guy was some kind of Stamkos-lite during the bulk of his career either where some misguided franchise might bet on a star player to get back on the horse. Can't see another team picking up this radioactive contract, but a buyout lasting into the 2030s would also be untenable.

He scored 37 goals in 79 with Carolina in '17

zizbuka

Apr 4, 2017
I've been to Buffalo on business a few times, loved the area. I grew up in Coatesville, PA, where the steel mill was everything. Buffalo kinda gave me that vibe.

Feel bad for the people there, but I don't think they'll ever see good times with the Sabres. Really sad.

Mtler in Toronto

Mar 1, 2012
Toronto
You think Price is gonna waive his NMC to go to Buffalo?

True.
However if he keeps up this garbage Montreal won't exactly be the funnest place for him to be. He might want out eventually. It could get ugly. That contract was the worst contract in the league before it even came in effect.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Agreed, but it could be moved for another team’s toxic waste. Would the Sabre do Skinner for EK, if that was there?
You think EK agrees to waive and leave sunny california for Buffalo?
He can play as crappy as ever and no one even knows who he is when he heads to the beach.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
100%. Skinner's just as good a player now as when he potted 40. Krueger just hates him. I have no idea why Olofsson keeps getting top line reps over him when Skinner is emphatically the better 5-v-5 player.

That's the impression I get as well, Krueger being a shitty middle management cliche to Skinner and Buffalo's detriment.

Skinner is not a 9 million dollar player but under the right coach he can probably still put up 30-30 on a line with Eichel and Reinhart.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
"Seemed like a good deal at the time."

- Said no one in the world, except Buffalo front office.

Wrong. Only Terry Pegula thought that was a good deal. Our wussy ass GM Botterill signed him to it because he was too scared to say no.

I had no problem with the trade to get him. I had no problem with re-signing him. Hell, I had no problem with the length (it ends when he’s 35, so not a terrible age for someone who doesn’t put a lot of wear and tear on his body). The price point made me want to headbutt a wall because he’s not a perennial Rocket contender. He’s paid to be OV, but without the reasons you pay OV

Reactions: kylbaz

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
You think Price is gonna waive his NMC to go to Buffalo?
I'm just stating that may be the only hope Buffalo has in moving Skinner?

We've seen players waive their no move clauses before on stranger deals than this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->